Use of the term "Hun" - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Use of the term "Hun"

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Religious beliefs my arse, I'd guarantee less than 5% of Hearts and rangers fans are church goers or devout protestants 

I'm not sure how hard it is to understand. The term was used to describe rangers fans, it's been used since then in a different way to describe hearts fans but as diet huns or huns without the bus fare... not one of those terms is in anyway connected to religion.

Have you ever question the law makers and though maybe just maybe they have this wrong and it's the faux offended who have the problem here?

I question the law all the time. All ive ever done on here is state my experience and was repeatedly told that I was lying, told to produce caselaw etc when it came to this issue from people who dont or wouldnt accept that in general summary cases are not reported.

It takes a specific appeal point for it to possibly get to the point of a stated case which is whats happened here.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I question the law all the time. All ive ever done on here is state my experience and was repeatedly told that I was lying, told to produce caselaw etc when it came to this issue from people who dont or wouldnt accept that in general summary cases are not reported.

It takes a specific appeal point for it to possibly get to the point of a stated case which is whats happened here.

Who the hell told you to bring up caselaw? 😆 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Who the hell told you to bring up caselaw? 😆 

Lots of posters said I wasnt correct and told me to provide evidence of cases where the term hun was used in a legal context. Something that I repeatedly explained couldnt be done until a situation like this came about.

Now hopefully we can all just accept what the law is even if we disagree with it. If posters want to continue to use such language thats up to them.

Perhaps a good question should be why is it so important to continue to use the word? Is it not all abit childish?

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Lots of posters said I wasnt correct and told me to provide evidence of cases where the term hun was used in a legal context. Something that I repeatedly explained couldnt be done until a situation like this came about.

Now hopefully we can all just accept what the law is even if we disagree with it. If posters want to continue to use such language thats up to them.

Perhaps a good question should be why is it so important to continue to use the word? Is it not all abit childish?

It's not important to use the word, it's important to demonstrate that it's not used in the way the law seems to belive it is. That's the point you're missing. We cant just decide one day that a word offends us. Fuck it I'm getting on the phone to nil by mouth because ramy and slasher keep using the word sheep to describe us dons fans. I

Which posters asked you to provide case law? 

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

You know what's fuckin childish? Folk complaining about the word Hun !!! I have die hard rangers mates over here, born and bred in Glasgow that are not the least bit offended by the term. It's folk that arnae happy unless they are moaning about something.. I love it when Celtic bang one in and you can clearly hear "Get It Right Fuckin Up Yee's ya Hun bastards"...."😂😂😂😂

26 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

You know what's fuckin childish? Folk complaining about the word Hun !!! I have die hard rangers mates over here, born and bred in Glasgow that are not the least bit offended by the term. It's folk that arnae happy unless they are moaning about something.. I love it when Celtic bang one in and you can clearly hear "Get It Right Fuckin Up Yee's ya Hun bastards"...."😂😂😂😂

If I called one of my protestant church going aberdeen supporting  friends a hun......he'd be more offended at being labelled a Rangers fan

Edited by vanderark14

25 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not important to use the word, it's important to demonstrate that it's not used in the way the law seems to belive it is. That's the point you're missing. We cant just decide one day that a word offends us. Fuck it I'm getting on the phone to nil by mouth because ramy and slasher keep using the word sheep to describe us dons fans. I

Which posters asked you to provide case law? 

Im not missing your point. I fully understand your position however the entire point of the law is to one day decide what is right and wrong. To use an extreme example the use of the N word used to be common place and acceptable until one day some people and by extension the law decided that it wasnt. Some people continue to use the word to this day, they argue about the meaning of its use and try and justify if by providing examples of where others use it. Ie in rap songs however that doesnt change the fact that its considered illegal.

Now before anybody jumps on the above, in no way shape or form am I equating the N word and the word Hun.

I honestly couldnt tell you the posters names as I dont seem to either have the attention to detail nor the want to remember the particulars of every poster on here. Nor do I want to go back and search to find out however im sure you will be able to remember the conversations.

I understand you to be an Aberdeen fan, im presumming that dont live in west of Scotland although I could be wrong. I was born here and see daily how the use of language affects communities. Ive sat on hate crime boards where things that seem trivial to you and me have a real impact on peoples lives. 

You might equate the term hun purely with Rangers fans but as we have seen above others have seen it used for anybody with a unionist leaning, or presumed proddy background. The fact schools are seperated aged 5 here means that anybody from 1 school is easily called a fenien and anybody from the other school is called a hun. Regardless of whether they have ever been in a church or support either side of the OF. 

Many of my friends have been called Huns despite being fans of East Fife  Dumbarton, Hearts, Partick or in my case Airdrie. Likewise many of my friends have been called feniens despite not supporting Celtic. Its the easy and quick termonology thats used to identify and low level insult thats the bigger issue. Not whether some arsehole Rangers fan falsely claims he is offended by it as a way to one up the other side of the city.

The fact Ramy, an openly "90 minute" bigot is agreeing with you should at least give you cause to pause and consider.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im not missing your point. I fully understand your position however the entire point of the law is to one day decide what is right and wrong. To use an extreme example the use of the N word used to be common place and acceptable until one day some people and by extension the law decided that it wasnt. Some people continue to use the word to this day, they argue about the meaning of its use and try and justify if by providing examples of where others use it. Ie in rap songs however that doesnt change the fact that its considered illegal.

Now before anybody jumps on the above, in no way shape or form am I equating the N word and the word Hun.

I honestly couldnt tell you the posters names as I dont seem to either have the attention to detail nor the want to remember the particulars of every poster on here. Nor do I want to go back and search to find out however im sure you will be able to remember the conversations.

I understand you to be an Aberdeen fan, im presumming that dont live in west of Scotland although I could be wrong. I was born here and see daily how the use of language affects communities. Ive sat on hate crime boards where things that seem trivial to you and me have a real impact on peoples lives. 

You might equate the term hun purely with Rangers fans but as we have seen above others have seen it used for anybody with a unionist leaning, or presumed proddy background. The fact schools are seperated aged 5 here means that anybody from 1 school is easily called a fenien and anybody from the other school is called a hun. Regardless of whether they have ever been in a church or support either side of the OF. 

Many of my friends have been called Huns despite being fans of East Fife  Dumbarton, Hearts, Partick or in my case Airdrie. Likewise many of my friends have been called feniens despite not supporting Celtic. Its the easy and quick termonology thats used to identify and low level insult thats the bigger issue. Not whether some arsehole Rangers fan falsely claims he is offended by it as a way to one up the other side of the city.

The fact Ramy, an openly "90 minute" bigot is agreeing with you should at least give you cause to pause and consider.

I genuinely stopped reading when you introduced the N word. This isn't even in the same stratosphere let alone same ball park

As far as I'm concerned you were one of the best posters on here but you've lost every ounce of credibility you had with this dumb fuck crusade to stop the word hun 

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Who in the name of fuck are you calling a "90 minute Bigot"...?????

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I genuinely stopped reading when you introduced the N word. This isn't even in the same stratosphere let alone same ball park

As far as I'm concerned you were one of the best posters on here but you've lost every ounce of credibility you had with this dumb fuck crusade to stop the word hun 

You should probably read the 2nd paragraph then. 

Reluctant to get into this but... I'm old enough to remember when it was celtic fans that were referred to us as Huns.

The Rangers end at Hampden and Ibrox used to sing 'the Huns are getting wet' as both their ends were uncovered. 'Go home ya Huns' was always a favourite as they started to leave the ground early in the face of a beating.

It was frequently sung in the 60s & early 70s & was applied given their support to the IRA and accordingly to Germany in the world war(s) when Eire was neutral & safe haven was given to U-boats.

I don't know why or how it was turned round & used to refer Rangers fans but it was.

I don't intend reciting the lyrics but they included "If I had a Tommy gun I'd shoot every F*n**n Hun, just for walking down the Queen's Highway"

37 minutes ago, silverbear said:

Reluctant to get into this but... I'm old enough to remember when it was celtic fans that were referred to us as Huns.

The Rangers end at Hampden and Ibrox used to sing 'the Huns are getting wet' as both their ends were uncovered. 'Go home ya Huns' was always a favourite as they started to leave the ground early in the face of a beating.

It was frequently sung in the 60s & early 70s & was applied given their support to the IRA and accordingly to Germany in the world war(s) when Eire was neutral & safe haven was given to U-boats.

I don't know why or how it was turned round & used to refer Rangers fans but it was.

I don't intend reciting the lyrics but they included "If I had a Tommy gun I'd shoot every F*n**n Hun, just for walking down the Queen's Highway"

You were singing that as you were typing, weren't you? 🤣

1 hour ago, silverbear said:

Never happened so you can imagine who made it up

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/pubs-and-subs-rumour-and-reality-of-german-u-boats-in-wartime-ireland-1.4674950

On 10/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Who in the name of fuck are you calling a "90 minute Bigot"...?????

Ok Ramy with the amount of injury time played now it should be 90 to 100 minute bigot, I’m sure he’ll admit his mistake 😜

My old man says the original "Huns" were Celtic when he was going to the football. I believe this changed late 70s when the Rangers away support were christened Rampaging Huns by the media and this was picked up and used by the opposition fans.

However, the term in Northern Ireland is a bit more sinister with KAH Kill All Huns graffiti shown in Nationalist schemes. This does not mean solely that Hun = Rangers Fans across the water - I believe it is a derogatory term for all Unionists / Protestants.

It's a term that doesn't particularly bother me but it's one best left alone in my opinion.

So I have heard two origins of the term Hun:

1) RanGERS (the GERs = Germany) = Huns

2) Rangers played villa in 1976.  Rangers fans killed a Police Alsatian dog and threw it back onto the track. Local press used the term "marauding Huns"

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-glasgow-rangers-violence-11998382

Edited by Haggis_trap

44 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

2) Rangers played villa in 1976.  Rangers fans killed a Police Alsatian dog and threw it back onto the track. Local press used the term "marauding Huns"

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-glasgow-rangers-violence-11998382

I’ve heard the “marauding Huns” thing in relation to hooliganism as well but that Alsatian story sounds incredibly unlikely! 

3 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Name was used in 60s seemingly 

which blows the 1976 theory out the water

1969 - Newcastle v Rangers in the Fairs Cup Semi final. I think that's when it started to include Rangers fans as well as Celtic fans. I think it was some English newspaper reporter who referred to them as "marauding huns" probably oblivious to the fact that that was what Rangers fans has been calling Celtic fans for years. Then slowly over the years Rangers fans started to embrace the name for themselves, (well some of them anyway), and just used other names for the Tims.