Use of the term "Hun" - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Use of the term "Hun"

Had this discussion a load of times where numerous posters have said the term wasnt illegal or sectarian and pointed to the lack of cases in the press without understanding that summary cases generally arent reported and dont get written judgements etc.

For those interested there has been a recent appeal decision. 

David Di Pinto v PF Glasgow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Had this discussion a load of times where numerous posters have said the term wasnt illegal or sectarian and pointed to the lack of cases in the press without understanding that summary cases generally arent reported and dont get written judgements etc.

For those interested there has been a recent appeal decision. 

David Di Pinto v PF 

If the term hun is now illegal we would all be better of staying at home and living sheltered lives. Fuck knows how it became illegal or even sectarian, it was a term used to describe rangers fans not protestants .

Why do you even give a fuck? You're supposedly an airdrie fan 😆

Maybe slasher was right about you after all

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

If the term hun is now illegal we would all be better of staying at home and living sheltered lives. Fuck knows how it became illegal or even sectarian, it was a term used to describe rangers fans not protestants .

Why do you even give a fuck? You're supposedly an airdrie fan 😆

Maybe slasher was right about you after all

Came across it on the appeals website and thought id share given peoples views in the past.

Beyond that ive no real interest other than confirming that the law has always considered it to go beyond being a Rangers fan

I have used the term "Hun" for years, in the pub, at football, craic with my rangers pals, never an issue. I'm not even going to bother reading the article or any article on the use of the word "Hun". To me a Hun is a rangers supporter as VA has mentioned. It's not sectarian or bigoted in any way. If folk have an issue, then that's their problem. Fuckin world has gone mad. Sensitive to everything and anything. I have been called a "Fenian" a "Taig" dissnae bother me at all. I find it quite funny as I am Scottish, not Irish... 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Came across it on the appeals website and thought id share given peoples views in the past.

Beyond that ive no real interest other than confirming that the law has always considered it to go beyond being a Rangers fan

am not sure ive heard hearts or airdrie etc in past being called huns .... maybe rangers light or diet huns or similar ; but kind of backs up it being about rangers fans not the protestant thing .....

i read the blurb in the link - it sounded like the context it was used in was a factor ie hvn 'cvnt' 

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The problem is people like you enable this nonsense. 

I wish the law makers in Scotland had the balls to tell nil by mouth or anyone else to shut up, the term hun has nothing to do with protestants and never has done. It was used to describe rangers fans and I believe it started in an English article after rangers fans trashed a city centre.

One day someone, who knows who but I'm guessing they're a complete arsehole, they decided they'd get offended and say it was sectarian, it grew legs and now we are in this stupid position where people are prosecuted for the use of the word.

You've brought this up many times yet I never see you bringing up the weekly bile spewed out of the mouths of rangers fans.........and that's ten time worse than the word hun.

You've clearly got an agenda here.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Some of my wife's female friends refer to one another as 'hun', though I always thought that was short for 'honey'.

Exactly. My wife calls me "Hun" all the time, "would you like your eggs scrambled today hun"... for example. I correct her politely by saying "don't call me a Hun babe". She knows why,I have explained it to her, she thinks it's ridiculous, and continues to call me a Hun to this day...😂

34 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Exactly. My wife calls me "Hun" all the time, "would you like your eggs scrambled today hun"... for example. I correct her politely by saying "don't call me a Hun babe". She knows why,I have explained it to her, she thinks it's ridiculous, and continues to call me a Hun to this day...😂

I suspect you've been called worse!

I’ll start off by saying I personally take no offence in being called a Hun. I’m pretty sure when the term was first used it was primarily to reference Rangers fans however over time it seems to have evolved. When it’s also used in various forms to describe the likes of Hearts or Airdrie fans who tend to possibly have the same political or religious view points as your average Rangers fan then I think it’s quite clear it’s no longer being used to describe one clubs supporters and that’s when it starts to get a bit murky for me.

There’ll be a lot of mental gymnastics from people trying to defend it but it is used to define a particular demographic of people, as well as a catch all for Rangers fans, and in the majority of those cases it tends to be in a negative sense. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I’ll start off by saying I personally take no offence in being called a Hun. I’m pretty sure when the term was first used it was primarily to reference Rangers fans however over time it seems to have evolved. When it’s also used in various forms to describe the likes of Hearts or Airdrie fans who tend to possibly have the same political or religious view points as your average Rangers fan then I think it’s quite clear it’s no longer being used to describe one clubs supporters and that’s when it starts to get a bit murky for me.

There’ll be a lot of mental gymnastics from people trying to defend it but it is used to define a particular demographic of people, as well as a catch all for Rangers fans, and in the majority of those cases it tends to be in a negative sense. 

Hearts fans were called diet huns because they sang songs similar too and waved the same flags as rangers fans, it's had absolutely nothing to do with political or religious beliefs 

Edited by vanderark14

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Hearts fans were called diet huns because they sang songs similar too and waved the same flags as rangers fans, it's had absolutely nothing to do with political or religious beliefs 

I’d say those songs or flags are linked to their religious and/or political beliefs. 

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I’d say those songs or flags are linked to their religious and/or political beliefs. 

Surely you mean bigoted shite. Don't think many will be regular church goers or have their fingers on the pulse of the latest political debate.

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Surely you mean bigoted shite. Don't think many will be regular church goers or have their fingers on the pulse of the latest political debate.

Exactly this. People need to check themselves into a psych ward if they think any of these mutants are regular church goers 😆

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The problem is people like you enable this nonsense. 

I wish the law makers in Scotland had the balls to tell nil by mouth or anyone else to shut up, the term hun has nothing to do with protestants and never has done. It was used to describe rangers fans and I believe it started in an English article after rangers fans trashed a city centre.

One day someone, who knows who but I'm guessing they're a complete arsehole, they decided they'd get offended and say it was sectarian, it grew legs and now we are in this stupid position where people are prosecuted for the use of the word.

You've brought this up many times yet I never see you bringing up the weekly bile spewed out of the mouths of rangers fans.........and that's ten time worse than the word hun.

You've clearly got an agenda here.

You must be being very selective about your memory of my posting history then as ive condemed the stuff Rangers fans and Hearts and Airdrie fans sing on many an occasion. Ive said many times on here that imo Rangers fans are the worst in Scotland for their behaviour.

Im not sure how correcting people when they have incorrectly stated that the word hun has never been part of court cases is me enabling anything. I dont decide the law, all ive done is provide information on how its implemented. 

Im not personally offended by the word hun in the same way im not personally offended by the word fenien however I do think that their use is not nessesary.

Your and other peoples argument falls down when you say Hun is a term for Rangers fans and nothing to do with anything else but then say it also applies to Hearts and Airdrie fans because of the songs they sing. (The songs they sing being bigoted / religious). These teams are connected by their cultural and religious beliefs, certainly on the part of the most vocal and distasteful parts of their support. Using the same word to describe them is sensible as imo they are all the same however the similarity is that they are all bigots, not all Rangers fans.

Anyway, the appeal courts have now published a stated case so everybodys opinion on here is irrelevent. 

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

You must be being very selective about your memory of my posting history then as ive condemed the stuff Rangers fans and Hearts and Airdrie fans sing on many an occasion. Ive said many times on here that imo Rangers fans are the worst in Scotland for their behaviour.

Im not sure how correcting people when they have incorrectly stated that the word hun has never been part of court cases is me enabling anything. I dont decide the law, all ive done is provide information on how its implemented. 

Im not personally offended by the word hun in the same way im not personally offended by the word fenien however I do think that their use is not nessesary.

Your and other peoples argument falls down when you say Hun is a term for Rangers fans and nothing to do with anything else but then say it also applies to Hearts and Airdrie fans because of the songs they sing. (The songs they sing being bigoted / religious). These teams are connected by their cultural and religious beliefs, certainly on the part of the most vocal and distasteful parts of their support. Using the same word to describe them is sensible as imo they are all the same however the similarity is that they are all bigots, not all Rangers fans.

Anyway, the appeal courts have now published a stated case so everybodys opinion on here is irrelevent. 

Religious beliefs my arse, I'd guarantee less than 5% of Hearts and rangers fans are church goers or devout protestants 

I'm not sure how hard it is to understand. The term was used to describe rangers fans, it's been used since then in a different way to describe hearts fans but as diet huns or huns without the bus fare... not one of those terms is in anyway connected to religion.

Have you ever question the law makers and though maybe just maybe they have this wrong and it's the faux offended who have the problem here?

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

The thing with the law though is that a statement doesnt have to be true to be either offensive or attract an aggravation.

Ie If I call somebody an English C*nt but that person is actually Welsh, it makes no difference. It would still be a S38 (BOP) with a racial aggravation.

Its the presumption that matters.

For example if somebody calls a Hearts fan a Hun because he is carrying a Union Jack, singing GSTK, singing bigoted nonsence etc then what the court is saying is that the person calling them a hun is presumming that they are of a particular religious group. Ie Proddy. Whether that persons ever been in church or not is irrevent.

What I would say is that the primary focus of the Police and courts should be cutting out the bigoted bile that is common place in Glasgow every week. The attitude of the courts in particular towards songs at football has alot to be desired.