Tempus Fugit - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tempus Fugit

marinello

Was at Hampden tonight for the Scotland/ Belgium match when it dawned on me that it was exactly to the night the 50th anniversary of Scotland's 2-1 win over Czechoslovakia which booked our place at the WC in West Germany.

As a 17 year old I was at this game in a 120,000 crowd. The deafening sound that greeted Jordan's winner will remain with me forever. Also  despite the cultural taboos of the time I recall kissing my 'da for the first and only time at the final whistle. The look he gave me!!!!

Now a balding , crabbit 67 year old, I left Hampden tonight with a range of emotions of that great night.

Yup, time certainly flies.

I was also at the game with my dad. Incredible scenes at the end especially after going behind. After the Ibrox disaster he always left games 10 minutes before,) even Partick Thistle ones) except that night when we left a good half an hour after the end.

Now a slightly younger than Marinello, balding, crabbit 62-year-old that you tube video still brings out strong emotions. 

13 hours ago, marinello said:

Was at Hampden tonight for the Scotland/ Belgium match when it dawned on me that it was exactly to the night the 50th anniversary of Scotland's 2-1 win over Czechoslovakia which booked our place at the WC in West Germany.

As a 17 year old I was at this game in a 120,000 crowd. The deafening sound that greeted Jordan's winner will remain with me forever. Also  despite the cultural taboos of the time I recall kissing my 'da for the first and only time at the final whistle. The look he gave me!!!!

Now a balding , crabbit 67 year old, I left Hampden tonight with a range of emotions of that great night.

Like you Marinello, I also was at that game with my Da, as an eight year old it was my first year of going to football and the thing that amazed (& scared me) was the sheer size of the crowd and also the noise that was generated (having only been to football games that season just along the road at Shawfield)

I remember walking back from Hampden to our house at the time in Govanhill ( a great wee area back then), holding my Dads hand and asking him if Scotland games are always like that 😄

He only ever knew Scotland teams with top end players, he never witnessed the shite that his son had to endure for the past 25 years 😄

15 hours ago, marinello said:

My dad still talks about that game, he was also 17 that night too and still attends Hampden regularly. His last away game was Wembley years ago but wants to go to one for his 70th. Might make it an early 70th present if we get a decent draw for the WC. 

I've sat with him at Killie games for 30+ years and it's good when we get the odd away game when he attends (usually Paisley etc(. Now taking my 2 year old nephew and 4 year old niece. Can't beat it. 

Football is a great way of spending time with family. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper