Ticket allocation for scotland supporters - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ticket allocation for scotland supporters

hampden_loon2878

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, one t in scotland said:

I could be wrong but I vaguely seem to remember anybody who went to the abandoned Estonia game got priority for three tickets in 1998.

I think that is correct - Estonia or 3 of the games - I  covered both bases due to Latvia/Estonia being my 1st real away trip, and being in Sweden and Monaco (spent week there Daily Express Easyjet flgihts ) 

19 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

but the simple answer is to go to more games and amass more points if you want to guarantee tickets for specific games. If that’s not an an option for whatever reason then disappointment will always be a risk. 

While I agree with your points 100%, it is a bit disingenuous to say it is a "simple answer". I have the maximum number of points for attending all home games over the last 20 years (12 I think). Finding an away game that I can get a legitimate ticket for is neigh on impossible. The only one recently was Cyprus, but by the time this became available I was priced out of getting there.

I don't have a better solution and agree the die hards should get the tickets. The only area I feel more could be done is cracking down on any harvesters (and to be fair, this may happen more than I know)

1 hour ago, rOsCo2 said:

While I agree with your points 100%, it is a bit disingenuous to say it is a "simple answer". I have the maximum number of points for attending all home games over the last 20 years (12 I think). Finding an away game that I can get a legitimate ticket for is neigh on impossible. The only one recently was Cyprus, but by the time this became available I was priced out of getting there.

I don't have a better solution and agree the die hards should get the tickets. The only area I feel more could be done is cracking down on any harvesters (and to be fair, this may happen more than I know)

You'd have got tickets for 6 out the last 10 away games with 12 points. It's not the closed shop folk claim it is. That's not including Cyprus this time either.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

On 9/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

France 98 is irrelevant.  Last euros will be exactly how tickets are distributed this time around. The exact same way any tickets for games outside Scotland are distributed and have been for two decades at least.

Thats not arrogant, never mind being a prick.  Same question comes up everytime there's a popular game. Same explanation is given.  For France 98 the supporters club didn't exist in its current form. We didn't have the current loyalty system. Basically anyone who attends every home game and maybe one away game in last 10 will be guaranteed. I'd say thats a fair system.

You kinda lose any credibility in a debate when you throw the toys out the pram with insults though.

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I agree with that bit. If the sale goes down to, say, 12 points for the first game, but only half of the 12 pointers get a ticket, then the half that don't get one should get first go for the next game if/when that also goes down to 12 points. A wee bit complicated but shouldn't be too difficult to organise in this day and age.

Would imagine given that all 3 games will presumably become available at the same time that this would be incredibly straightforward and would think that they would do this, can't see why not. Not everyone at every level is going to take tickets to all 3 games though, especially once you get down to people in the 10-12 points bracket like me who have built up their points on home games but don't go to many of the away games.

That’s not the case. I buy season tickets and go to every home game. I’m on 10 points and never got a sniff of a Norway away ticket… I’m sure it will be the same for Seville so I will buy home end. I understand the points system but it has become a kind of perpetuating closed shop for away games. Maybe the solution, and I have made this suggestion to SFA, is to allocate most away tickets based on a defined number of points, but keep aside a certain percentage to be balloted among season ticket holders who would like to go. This gives other regular game goers a chance to up their points. As regards the allocation for Euro 24, hopefully that is, I don’t think it should be based on points alone, although it should be one criteria, but I do think season ticket holders also need to get a shout. Many of us are in the very fortunate position to have the time and funds to attend away games, but there are thousands of great supporters who are not, but for whom Euro 24 will be a lifetime event which I think they deserve to be given at least a chance to attend.

3 minutes ago, Jamala said:

That’s not the case. I buy season tickets and go to every home game. I’m on 10 points and never got a sniff of a Norway away ticket… I’m sure it will be the same for Seville so I will buy home end. I understand the points system but it has become a kind of perpetuating closed shop for away games. Maybe the solution, and I have made this suggestion to SFA, is to allocate most away tickets based on a defined number of points, but keep aside a certain percentage to be balloted among season ticket holders who would like to go. This gives other regular game goers a chance to up their points. As regards the allocation for Euro 24, hopefully that is, I don’t think it should be based on points alone, although it should be one criteria, but I do think season ticket holders also need to get a shout. Many of us are in the very fortunate position to have the time and funds to attend away games, but there are thousands of great supporters who are not, but for whom Euro 24 will be a lifetime event which I think they deserve to be given at least a chance to attend.

You should be on 12 if you go to all home games and have been a member since 2016 and renewed this year prior to 31 January.

Personally would like to see the long memership more rewarded as helps those of us that kept turning up when we were really shite.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You'd have got tickets for 6 out the last 10 away games with 12 points. It's not the closed shop folk claim it is. That's not including Cyprus this time either.

That's a fair point! Although a couple of those fixtures you would have to be really committed (Turkey Friendly and then the Austria consolation match)!

Anyways, I'm not moaning about anything, the systems is as fair as it can be. I do appreciate that the home support at least get some credit for attending to keep them a step ahead of those who are only now becoming more interested!

58 minutes ago, HopelessUnbeliever said:

You should be on 12 if you go to all home games and have been a member since 2016 and renewed this year prior to 31 January.

Personally would like to see the long memership more rewarded as helps those of us that kept turning up when we were really shite.

I would like to see it extended to the last 20 home and 20 away games.

1 hour ago, HopelessUnbeliever said:

Thanks and I agree that this should also be factored in. I’ve been a member without interruption since 1989 and have attended most home games and a fair few away games and tournaments. No idea why my loyalty points are at 10 ( maybe I just bought single tickets for one campaign) as I’ve been to all those games but think my overall point is still valid. Don’t know what the cut off was for Cyprus as unable to go but suspect a lot higher than 12. I just think the points only criteria, especially away points, should be looked at to reflect wider forms of demonstrable support.

1 hour ago, Jamala said:

Turkey 

Cyprus 

Russia 

Armenia 

Austria 

5 out last 10 aways where 10 points would have got you tickets. 

It's not a closed shop.

2 hours ago, Jamala said:

Thanks and I agree that this should also be factored in. I’ve been a member without interruption since 1989 and have attended most home games and a fair few away games and tournaments. No idea why my loyalty points are at 10 ( maybe I just bought single tickets for one campaign) as I’ve been to all those games but think my overall point is still valid. Don’t know what the cut off was for Cyprus as unable to go but suspect a lot higher than 12. I just think the points only criteria, especially away points, should be looked at to reflect wider forms of demonstrable support.

Get in touch with the SFA and ask them. Single tickets shouldn't make a difference AFAIK.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Turkey 

Cyprus 

Russia 

Armenia 

Austria 

5 out last 10 aways where 10 points would have got you tickets. 

It's not a closed shop.

That’s a fair point which I wasn’t aware of. However it also means that there were 5 where it wouldn’t. Even if I had 20 points I’m of the opinion that there should be other criteria in certain circumstances, albeit agree points especially for home games would be the main one. The most obvious example of it not being fair, in my opinion, was at Euro 2020. Please correct me if I’m wrong but from memory it was the same 3 or 4 thousand folk who got tickets for all three games - essentially all the folk who are able to attend all or most of the away games. No effort was made to create a system whereby more members, even long term members, could at least see one game. Whilst there wasn’t a points system at France ‘98 there is a relevance in so far as the SFA tried to distribute the tickets between the members so that, I think, most if not all members got a ticket for at least one game. I’m not advocating that if you join next week you’re in with a shout but I would hope they do something similar for Euro 2020 which recognizes not just points alone. As I’ve said it’s just my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Jamala said:

That’s a fair point which I wasn’t aware of. However it also means that there were 5 where it wouldn’t. Even if I had 20 points I’m of the opinion that there should be other criteria in certain circumstances, albeit agree points especially for home games would be the main one. The most obvious example of it not being fair, in my opinion, was at Euro 2020. Please correct me if I’m wrong but from memory it was the same 3 or 4 thousand folk who got tickets for all three games - essentially all the folk who are able to attend all or most of the away games. No effort was made to create a system whereby more members, even long term members, could at least see one game. Whilst there wasn’t a points system at France ‘98 there is a relevance in so far as the SFA tried to distribute the tickets between the members so that, I think, most if not all members got a ticket for at least one game. I’m not advocating that if you join next week you’re in with a shout but I would hope they do something similar for Euro 2020 which recognizes not just points alone. As I’ve said it’s just my opinion.

So it would be fine to prevent someone who has been to every Scotland game in the last 10 years from going to a finals match so that someone else who hasn’t bothered going to as many matches can swoop in and hunt the glory?

Life doesn’t work like that mate. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

So it would be fine to prevent someone who has been to every Scotland game in the last 10 years from going to a finals match so that someone else who hasn’t bothered going to as many matches can swoop in and hunt the glory?

Life doesn’t work like that mate. 

I didn’t say that.

3 hours ago, Jamala said:

Funnily enough this complaint never popped up for years when we were getting pumped 3-0 away to Kazakhstan etc. 

Points system is there to reward loyalty.  

Why should folk who've followed scotland regularly away from home for years, often watching utter dross, very penalised when we reach a major tournament so that folk who could quite possibly never have travelled get access to tickets?

The ticket's will be allocated based on points. No amount of moaning on here wlll change that.  Its not hard to get to 14 points which would likely secure Euro tickets.

As I said earlier, it's fer from a closed shop but you need to make an effort sometimes. I know folk thar joined SSC just before covid and are on almost max points with Russia being their first away. 

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

No but that’s what could happen if you got your way. 

No it couldn’t. What I said is that there might be other ways of demonstrating outstanding loyalty other than just attending away games which to many loyal supporters is simply unaffordable or not doable due to other reasonable commitments. It might not be hard for you guys to get 14 points, and tbh me neither, but for many attending an away game is at the moment an unattainable dream. For example guys who pay for membership for a family of four and take them to every home game for the last 10 years or so, often forfeiting the opportunity to attend away games as a result, I personally think are worth recognizing as much as guys who are fortunate and, to be fair, passionate enough to go to several away games. Quite how this is done I’m not sure but would think the technology is available. Anyway that’s just my opinion and if you disagree with that fair enough and that’s why there are discussion forums. See you in Seville… if I get a ticket 😉.

13 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know folk that joined SSC just before covid and are on almost max points with Russia being their first away. 

The points system is as fair as it can be...
However it rewards recent loyalty
i.e someone who joined SSC and has attended a few away games in current campaign.

In reality there are thousands of Scotland fans who have been waiting for Scotland to qualify for a tournament for decades.  I have been in the SSC for almost 25 years.  Attended most home games (now with kids).  Got a season pass for home qualifiers and currently on 10 points.  With young family going to away games feels a bit selfish.  In reality my points total probably wont be enough to get an official ticket for Germany.  Though it wont stop me trying other routes via the UEFA ballot, ebay, locals <etc>

I dont think I am particularly deserving of a ticket.  Because there are literally thousands like myself who dreamed of the day they might see Scotland at a finals once again.  Sadly covid limited opportunity for many to attend Hampden at EURO-2002.  No doubt the number of Scotland fans going to Germany next summer will be eye watering.

Edited by Haggis_trap

It is a delicate subject. Every fan has reasons why they can/can't make games. Some are are for legitimate reasons such as financial reasons, family reasons or other such reasons and some may well be bandwagon jumpers - it is differentiating that is impossible and why the points system is the only way to go though perhaps add loyalty bonuses for years of membership. I do agree that some hardy supporters were shelling out when we were struggling badly - that loyalty deserves something.

On 9/10/2023 at 12:57 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

I wouldnt be surprised if a three ticket allocation was given to lets say those on 16 pts and above, then 2 tickets to lets say 10 and above which would lead to single tickets available for probably anyone with about 8 points.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with something along those lines, but can't see the rules being changed just now.

Some folk under 16pts would be screaming blue murder an'aw.