Our qualifying group specifically...... - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our qualifying group specifically......

Big Ramy 1314

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Starting to look like Italy might need a playoff spot.

They are a shadow of the team they were 2 years ago. Incredible really. I still think they’ll finish second in their group though. They need to beat North Macedonia at home and avoid defeat ‘away’ to Ukraine in Germany. Even the other way round would do it. Still very much in their hands. 

Would be typical if they did need a playoff and ended up being our pot 4 team though. 

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If I did this right, here are what the current pots looks like, let get this out the way - we really want to be a pot 3 team instead of pot 2 which will become clearer shortly.

Pot 1 - Germany, Portugal, France, Belgium, England and Spain

Pot 2 - Turkey, Albania, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania and Austria

Pot 3 - Scotland, Denmark, Netherlands, Czech Rep, Ukraine and Serbia

Pot 4 - Slovakia, Wales, Switzerland plus

One of Croatia, Poland, Finland, Bosnia

One of Israel, Italy, Iceland, Greece

One of Georgia, Kazakstan, Luxembourg, Estonia

I fully expect Ukraine and Italy to swop places.

If we had needed the playoff, we would have be in the first playoff group with Croatia, Poland and Bosnia.

I want to be pot 3 for the sake of the Euro draw, I want to be Pot 2 and have two extra wins under our belt for the sake of FIFA rankings to help our World Cup qualification group. 

Italy into the play offs and into pot 4 whilst we win our 2 games and clinch a pot 2 spot. December 2nd comes around and lo and behold.....

France 

Scotland 

Netherlands 

Italy 

😂😂😂

38 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If I did this right, here are what the current pots looks like, let get this out the way - we really want to be a pot 3 team instead of pot 2 which will become clearer shortly.

Pot 1 - Germany, Portugal, France, Belgium, England and Spain

Pot 2 - Turkey, Albania, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania and Austria

Pot 3 - Scotland, Denmark, Netherlands, Czech Rep, Ukraine and Serbia

Pot 4 - Slovakia, Wales, Switzerland plus

One of Croatia, Poland, Finland, Bosnia

One of Israel, Italy, Iceland, Greece

One of Georgia, Kazakstan, Luxembourg, Estonia

I fully expect Ukraine and Italy to swop places.

If we had needed the playoff, we would have be in the first playoff group with Croatia, Poland and Bosnia.

I want to be pot 3 for the sake of the Euro draw, I want to be Pot 2 and have two extra wins under our belt for the sake of FIFA rankings to help our World Cup qualification group. 

The playoffs are a bit more complicated than that. Greece were in NL League C so go into Path C with Georgia etc.

Estonia winning NL League D puts them in Path A with the "best" non-qualifiers.

Since there won't be 4 NL League A teams to go into Path A, there'll be a random draw with the best non-qualifying League B teams who didn't win their groups.

If we'd been in the playoffs we'd have been in Path B.

Screenshot_20231017-224405.png

Edited by DC92

3 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

The updated probabilities for pots:

F8rEh0PWwAAzXOR?format=png&name=900x900

And the projected pots:

F8rFApZW4AEEHUO?format=png&name=small

Italy now expected to be in Pot 4 - even if they qualify automatically. 🤔

Very little between the teams in Pot 2 and Pot 3.

If this ultimately turns out to be the case, like some poster mentioned earlier, we really are better off as a pot 3 team than a pot 2

16 hours ago, todd said:

If this ultimately turns out to be the case, like some poster mentioned earlier, we really are better off as a pot 3 team than a pot 2

Whats the chances of being a pot 3 team? 

Those pots look like a nightmare, we could end up with France, Netherlands and Italy.

Nearly all the teams in pot 3 are good sides. 

I think our chances of progressing out the groups comes purely down to the draw. 

I made a Topic on this, but should've posted here. I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. Here was my Post on the Topic:

Win our last 2 which is very achievable and we are in Pot 2!

Although, the difference between Pot 2 and being in Pot 3 is probably going to be minimal. Maybe we will even be worse off. The link below shows the CURRENT Positions for Seeding. And then it covers the PREDICTED finishing Spots.

Worst 3 Pot 2 Teams to get: Denmark, Turkey, Switzerland (It'll be like a HOME Game for Turkey and Switzerland)

Worst 3 Pot 3 Teams to get: Croatia, Czech Rep, Netherlands

But you know what, MOMENTUM is everything. So I hope we go on and win our last 2 regardless of the permutations. I reckon we will beat Norway easy at HOME, and as ever, Georgia AWAY is the Banana Skin!

Link for STATS below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sPAM6KBimzCIqsRICuLOUT0R_UQsWzcWiv1rEnHS4DE/edit?usp=sharing

On 10/17/2023 at 10:58 PM, Clyde1998 said:

The updated probabilities for pots:

F8rFApZW4AEEHUO?format=png&name=small

If we look at those teams in isolation we have proven we can live with a number of them recently.

Spain we beat at Hampden.

Denmark we beat at Hampden at the end of the World Cup qualifying campaign,

Albania I believe we beat home and away in a Nations League campaign.

Austria we drew at home (should have won) and beat away from home in World Cup qualifying.

Netherlands we drew against in a friendly leading up to the last Euros.

Serbia we held to a draw away before beating on pens in last Euros play-off.

Israel - yes we have had numerous battles against but in general we came out on top.

3 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Only advantage of not winning the group, is we might get Germany as Pot 1.

Still raging though.

Me too.  If McTominays goal stands, we're at the very least drawing that game, imo, and odds on to be pot one.  Robbing Uefa cuntz 

22 hours ago, todd said:

Me too.  If McTominays goal stands, we're at the very least drawing that game, imo, and odds on to be pot one.  Robbing Uefa cuntz 

Agree 100 percent . If that goal stands we either win or very least draw.

Goals change games. The spanish had stopped their Mexican wave. They were there for the taking and we did score.

The disallowed goal gave them a massive lift as they knew it was 11 vs 12 on the pitch and 11 vs 4 VAR team all in. 

I'm not too bothered who we get as long as it's not England. Not because I don't think we could give them a game if we put our minds to it, but because I don't want our tournament reduced by the media to a pishy 'Battle of Britain' sideshow in the biennial "Three Lions" circus, like in Euro 2020. 

35 minutes ago, bdgsct said:

Unlikely to matter as Estonia, Norway, Italy/Ukraine, Wales/Croatia and Poland are ahead of them in the queue if ive understood it correctly. If Greece had beaten Holland it would might have been an issue. Quite an oversight.

Matter or not, something's fucked up when there's the potential for deliberately losing a game of football being beneficial 

• 2 weeks later...