Our qualifying group specifically...... - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our qualifying group specifically......

Big Ramy 1314

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Said it many times that I think we will qualify as I dont see Spain losing to Norway. (Am I correct in saying a draw puts Norway out, even if we lose the rest of our games?)

Yep, if Norway draw with Spain they can only get 14 points.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

(Am I correct in saying a draw puts Norway out, even if we lose the rest of our games?)

Yes, that would be the best result for us. Unless we beat Spain, in which case it wouldn't really matter what happens in Oslo. Norway might even drop points in Cyprus? Then we would be hoping for Norway to beat Spain. A lot of football to be played yet.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Yes, that would be the best result for us. Unless we beat Spain, in which case it wouldn't really matter what happens in Oslo. Norway might even drop points in Cyprus? Then we would be hoping for Norway to beat Spain. A lot of football to be played yet.

I will probably get pilloried for saying this but I think Spain will beat us no matter what so in a way I  would prefer not to wear them out so they are fresh to play Norway. I obviously dont want a tanking but would be good not to rely on an away win to Georgia or worse still the final game at Hampden . Especially since i have said I will run round the pitch naked if we don’t qualify 😁

35 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I will probably get pilloried for saying this but I think Spain will beat us no matter what so in a way I  would prefer not to wear them out so they are fresh to play Norway. I obviously dont want a tanking but would be good not to rely on an away win to Georgia or worse still the final game at Hampden . Especially since i have said I will run round the pitch naked if we don’t qualify 😁

I'm almost certain that Spain pencilled us in right after the game at Hampden and have been waiting months to give us a slippering

It might work against them but doubt it

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Got be honest us losing v Spain and Georgia then needing to not lose v a Norway team that's just come off the back of beating Spain has a distinct whiff of Scotland about it!

The thing that gives me a wee chuckle is that nothing changed because of last night's game. Yet a lot of people's attitude seems to have changed massively. 

We could still qualify comfortably. We could still even win the group. We could still be going into the last game needing a point off Norway. We could get papped oot on our arses if results don't go our way. We weren't world beaters after the result against Cyprus and we haven't turned into a team of diddys because of last night's game. It was a friendly and totally irrelevant to our chances.

When the draw was made and the fixtures came out, I would have been happy to be going into the last game needing a win against Norway to qualify. We have got ourselves into a position where the absolute worst that can happen is we go into that last game needing a point. I'm not getting too carried away and not being too pessimistic either. We are still in a great position and I couldn't really give a monkeys about losing a friendly to England. It changes nothing.

25 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Got be honest us losing v Spain and Georgia then needing to not lose v a Norway team that's just come off the back of beating Spain has a distinct whiff of Scotland about it!

WC 90

1 pt from last 3 games….

yugoslavia & france away - norway at home

i think we actually’travel’ better now tho - our away games in 80s were typically damage limitation - although recall in yugoslavia and france the wheels came off the bus

our first away game in oslo i thought roxburgh has set us up very positively - if you watch the 2nd goal - see how many of our players are in and around their box

spain away i think we ll get it handed to us unfortunately 

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The thing that gives me a wee chuckle is that nothing changed because of last night's game. Yet a lot of people's attitude seems to have changed massively. 

We could still qualify comfortably. We could still even win the group. We could still be going into the last game needing a point off Norway. We could get papped oot on our arses if results don't go our way. We weren't world beaters after the result against Cyprus and we haven't turned into a team of diddys because of last night's game. It was a friendly and totally irrelevant to our chances.

When the draw was made and the fixtures came out, I would have been happy to be going into the last game needing a win against Norway to qualify. We have got ourselves into a position where the absolute worst that can happen is we go into that last game needing a point. I'm not getting too carried away and not being too pessimistic either. We are still in a great position and I couldn't really give a monkeys about losing a friendly to England. It changes nothing.

👍👍👍

Just now, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

WC 90

1 pt from last 3 games….

yugoslavia & france away - norway at home

How the WC90 qualifiers ended was actually what I was thinking about on the bus home last night and the parallels..... 

Thankfully Norway are in the position we usually find ourselves in, where a game earlier in the campaign has cost us, and we go into the home stretch where we MUST get a win over Germany to get a sport at Euro 2016 or have to win in Slovenia in our last game to make WC2018.

If Norway can go into the final 3 games and get 3 wins out of 3, then they deserve to go to the finals, but I think with Spain cooking with gas now and even if they beat us in Seville, they will beat Norway also (Georgia had a shot saved in the last minute last night that would have made it 2-2).

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It would be the best result, but i don't think i could take waiting out a draw, knowing that Norway could grab a winner. I'd rather finish 2nd and see Spain spank them

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And Yugoslavia were a bloody good side at that time. So were France but we knocked them out, comfortably. 🤣

Yugoslavia were good

France ; Papin aside …. Bit of a transitional phase from the platini 84 euro side / 86 wc and the huge success later - am sure cyprus beat them ?

think even the 92 euro team was pretty poor

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

Georgia were rubbish tonight and bar their (admittedly very good) goal - scored in injury time - they played like minnows and barely threatened Norway.  If they play like that against us we should win comfortably.  However, as we know, Georgia have a history of raising their game against us when they are playing at home and have little but pride to play for.

Why would Georgia raise their game against us? Our struggles in Tbilisi have been of our own making. We were complacent in 2007 and we were too negative in 2015.

If we go there with the right attitude we should beat them. Georgia have been poor any time I have seen them this year and they were lucky to draw with Norway. 

11 minutes ago, wanderer said:

How the WC90 qualifiers ended was actually what I was thinking about on the bus home last night and the parallels..... 

Thankfully Norway are in the position we usually find ourselves in, where a game earlier in the campaign has cost us, and we go into the home stretch where we MUST get a win over Germany to get a sport at Euro 2016 or have to win in Slovenia in our last game to make WC2018.

If Norway can go into the final 3 games and get 3 wins out of 3, then they deserve to go to the finals, but I think with Spain cooking with gas now and even if they beat us in Seville, they will beat Norway also (Georgia had a shot saved in the last minute last night that would have made it 2-2).

If we were in the same position as Norway are at present, I wouldn't fancy our chances, that's for sure. 🤣

And, if we can pick up just one point from our next two games, then Norway not only need to win their next three games, but they will probably need to beat us by 2 goals at Hampden. They are currently 12 goals behind us in GD stakes. They are not going to make that up in the space of three games? Hopefully? Mibbees? Unless we get absolutely humped by Spain????? Hmmm.......

10 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

It would be the best result, but i don't think i could take waiting out a draw, knowing that Norway could grab a winner. I'd rather finish 2nd and see Spain spank them

I'd rather we beat Spain and make the game in Oslo irrelevant. 🤣 Or, Norway to drop points in Cyprus. Stranger things have happened.  

8 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yugoslavia were good

France ; Papin aside …. Bit of a transitional phase from the platini 84 euro side / 86 wc and the huge success later - am sure cyprus beat them ?

think even the 92 euro team was pretty poor

They drew with Cyprus. Mind you, so did we, over 90 minutes. You must remember that Richard Gough 98th minute winner?

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They drew with Cyprus. Mind you, so did we, over 90 minutes. You must remember that Richard Gough 98th minute winner?

East German ref - added on time of more than couple minutes was virtually unheard of then ; unless big stoppage?

i also recall some dodgy dave narey defending for a goal

gough scored 2

44 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Why would Georgia raise their game against us? Our struggles in Tbilisi have been of our own making. We were complacent in 2007 and we were too negative in 2015.

If we go there with the right attitude we should beat them. Georgia have been poor any time I have seen them this year and they were lucky to draw with Norway. 

I don't know, but they did the last two occasions we played them over there, even when they had little to play for.  Professional pride, perhaps.

We should be more than capable of beating though, I agree there.

Just now, scotlad said:

I don't know, but they did the last two occasions we played them over there, even when they had little to play for.  Professional pride, perhaps.

We should be more than capable of beating though, I agree there.

I don’t agree that they specifically raised their game because they were playing us. I doubt they have anything against us. 

They may have had good games against us (but in all honesty I would say that was because we were shite and no other reason) but that doesn’t mean they are going to play well in November.

We have improved since 2007 and 2015 and on all available evidence Georgia have not.

If we control the game and do not allow them to play well we should win. Easier said than done of course but our last 2 visits there should have zero bearing on our next game there. In our current squad only Andy Robertson played in 2015 and obviously nobody played in 2007. Nobody should have a fear of going there and if we beat them we can finally put the hoodoo to bed. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

This is no place for rationality 😆 

I'd bite your hand off for where we are now and last night's result doesn't bother me but the performance does slightly.  Confidence takes ages to build but can crumble quite quickly.

I've seen enough in Georgia to say they've a result in them especially if we don't increase the intensity next couple of games.

It would be fantastic not needing something v Norway but really wouldn't be at all surprised if we're hoping Spain do us a favour.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Spot on.

The match against Spain will be tough as they seem to be finding form. However, I could easily see us getting a win or at very least a draw in Georgia but even if not Spain cannot let up. They'll need a win in Oslo and I cannot see Norway's flaky defence holding out against their attack.  We will qualify it is just a case of when.