Eligble Scots 23/24 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eligble Scots 23/24

syecosse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Daily Mail are "reporting" that Liverpool are preparing a $40M move for Archie Gray in the summer.

I'd never heard of him, but a Gray at Leeds with a name like Archie had to be Scottish...

Turns out he's Andy Gray's son (so grandson of Frank and Grandnephew of Eddie), and he's been in the England set up from U15-U19... That doesn't sit right with me.

4 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Daily Mail are "reporting" that Liverpool are preparing a $40M move for Archie Gray in the summer.

I'd never heard of him, but a Gray at Leeds with a name like Archie had to be Scottish...

Turns out he's Andy Gray's son (so grandson of Frank and Grandnephew of Eddie), and he's been in the England set up from U15-U19... That doesn't sit right with me.

What must be understood here is that he most probably was born in England and lived there all of his life. In my book that makes him English. He has grown up in the English culture with English mates so that over-rides having a Scottish dad. I am guessing too that his mum is English who met and married his dad Andy whilst he was based in England probably as a Sky pundit at the time Richard Keys was  there. I'd bet too that his dad Andy Gray has lived in England since joining Aston Villa in the mid to late 1970s.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What must be understood here is that he most probably was born in England and lived there all of his life. In my book that makes him English. He has grown up in the English culture with English mates so that over-rides having a Scottish dad. I am guessing too that his mum is English who met and married his dad Andy whilst he was based in England probably as a Sky pundit at the time Richard Keys was  there. I'd bet too that his dad Andy Gray has lived in England since joining Aston Villa in the mid to late 1970s.

You make some decent points but it's not the same Andy Gray, Archies grandfather was Frank, his great uncle Eddie, his dad Andy played for Leeds, Burnley & Forest amongst others  it what a steady if unspectacular career . His dad was born in England but still played a couple of times for us.  

Archie is also English born so unless his grandfather has serious influence on him I doubt there's any chance of him switching to us.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

You make some decent points but it's not the same Andy Gray, Archies grandfather was Frank, his great uncle Eddie, his dad Andy played for Leeds, Burnley & Forest amongst others  it what a steady if unspectacular career . His dad was born in England but still played a couple of times for us.  

Archie is also English born so unless his grandfather has serious influence on him I doubt there's any chance of him switching to us.

Ah yes I see. Well still points stand. Quite possibly he has not even set foot in Scotland before so no surprise at all he feels English. Go where your heart is is what I say.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He is the son of Andy Gray who got a single cap under Vogts in the 00's and played for the likes of Bradford, Forest and Burnley, not the more high profile one you think.

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

He is the son of Andy Gray who got a single cap under Vogts in the 00's and played for the likes of Bradford, Forest and Burnley, not the more high profile one you think.

Yes I get that now but still changes nothing in terms of him mo st probably having no connection with Scotland other than a dad (born in England who represented Scotland) and having been born in England, lived all of his life in England, having an English mum, having English mates and being an England supporter as a result from a young age.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I get that now but still changes nothing in terms of him mo st probably having no connection with Scotland other than a dad (born in England who represented Scotland) and having been born in England, lived all of his life in England, having an English mum, having English mates and being an England supporter as a result from a young age.

The connection thing is just pish though isn’t it.

Like the rest if he doesn’t cut it for England he will eventually be available to us, same as Gunn Is now and Barnes will be next year 

28 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Like the rest if he doesn’t cut it for England he will eventually be available to us, same as Gunn Is now and Barnes will be next year 

No denying the connection can be pish in some circumstances but I'd bet a lot of cash that many players over many decades who were born in England but never selected for them who could have represented us chose not to because they felt it would be wrong as they felt English through and through. It happens.

12 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I think Stuart Gray, who played for Celtic in the '90s, is a relation too.

This lad's connection to Scotland isn't simply through some wee grandparent he's never met though, the boy's family history is steeped in the Scotland national team. Videos of Frank Gray playing for Scotland are plentiful on YouTube. Unless he's grown up having no connection with his father's side of the family it's implausible that his Scottish roots have had no effect on his life.

On the other hand, maybe he is aware of his Scots roots but still considers himself English. He is his own person, after all.

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ah yes I see. Well still points stand. Quite possibly he has not even set foot in Scotland before so no surprise at all he feels English. Go where your heart is is what I say.

I'd be extremely surprised if that's the case. He grew up in Yorkshire, a couple of hours from Scotland, not the other side of the world!

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Part of the problem is that top Scottish talent is liable to end up in England and having kids in England: Gray, Weir, Fletchers, Gunn. And it's not just football, Redpath played for England, Kenny Logan's son saying he wants to play for them. And it's not just us, Haaland could have been competing with Kane for the no 9 shirt and I'm sure there are others.

It's much less likely that we'll have top English players having kids born or being schooled up here. The closest to that has been the Jordan Rhodes situation.

8 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Part of the problem is that top Scottish talent is liable to end up in England and having kids in England: Gray, Weir, Fletchers, Gunn. And it's not just football, Redpath played for England, Kenny Logan's son saying he wants to play for them. And it's not just us, Haaland could have been competing with Kane for the no 9 shirt and I'm sure there are others.

It's much less likely that we'll have top English players having kids born or being schooled up here. The closest to that has been the Jordan Rhodes situation.

Yeh this is a fact not mentioned much.

As scotlad has just said it's highly unlikely Gray has grew up not knowing his family history, not many are privileged enough to have had family playing internationally & in his grandad's case the 1982 world cup.

Only when I'm bored I look at the daily record so here's the latest, no real substance to the story but it does at least it does confirm that all potential Scotland qualifying players are being considered by Carver & Clarke .

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/archie-gray-targeted-scotland-secret-31429840

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh this is a fact not mentioned much.

As scotlad has just said it's highly unlikely Gray has grew up not knowing his family history, not many are privileged enough to have had family playing internationally & in his grandad's case the 1982 world cup.

Only when I'm bored I look at the daily record so here's the latest, no real substance to the story but it does at least it does confirm that all potential Scotland qualifying players are being considered by Carver & Clarke .

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/archie-gray-targeted-scotland-secret-31429840

Think if it had not been for an injury Barnes would have been in the squad, interesting that it says Anderson 'was' but promising that Livramento and hopefully Gray may. A player that is eligible I like is Quansah CB at Liverpool getting game time but not sure what his eligibility is for us.

Archie Gray is currently England under 18 captain and so it might be some time yet before he even thinks about changing allegiance unless we offer him a full cap in next couple of years. By the way apparently his younger brother Harry, 15, also on Leeds books, is considered one of best 15 year olds in the England set up 

To be honest it’s refreshing Carver is just calling it how it is & saying if someone is eligible and good they will always try and get them.

In one short interview he’s namechecked Tino Livramento, Elliot Anderson & Harvey Barnes. Then in Liam Coopers he’s said he’s discussed Archie Gray with John Carver too. 

An eligible very good striker would be nice now…

31 minutes ago, syecosse said:

A player that is eligible I like is Quansah CB at Liverpool getting game time but not sure what his eligibility is for us.

Apparently he has no shortage of options..... naturally England first of all, but he has links to Scotland, Ghana and Barbados through Grandparents.

Livramento is interesting to hear that we are actually following up on, but unless Hickey is out long term (ie the Euros) we are sorted in that position for the next 10-15 years with what we have already.