Season 23/24 - Page 29 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Aberdeen to lose ? We seem unable to string a run of wins together. 🤯

It's not just Aberdeen - look at Hearts today as well coming off an away win at Hibs

I realise that it makes it more "exciting" however consistency is the sign of a good team meaning there are very few outwith the OF

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's not just Aberdeen - look at Hearts today as well coming off an away win at Hibs

I realise that it makes it more "exciting" however consistency is the sign of a good team meaning there are very few outwith the OF

Robson needs to ditch the  playing on the break pish, we defend & I use that term loosely far too deep inviting teams onto us. If it’s nae a quick long ball for Miovski it’s a painfully slow build up by which time they’re up against a set defence. 

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

If you go onto YouTube and search for Raith Rovers you will see the wonder strike there.

I realise this is disrupting the obsession with the 3 clubs in the Scottish Premiership and the odd morbid fascination with a keeper scoring in Scotland's second flight, but I think it is worth mentioning the recent form of my club, Stenhousemuir, in Scottish League Two.

Playing in a division that sees 8 out of the 10 clubs very evenly matched, Clyde (pre Jan 1) and Elgin, are pish so forget about them, Stenny won 9 out of 9 during the second quarter of fixtures.

9 out of 9. A 27 point clean sweep which has seen us open up an 11 point gap at the top of the table which will hopefully lead to a league title win.

When was the last time a team won nine in a row against comparative competition during a league campaign?

While nothing is being taken for granted in a highly competitive league, I hope that Stenny can use this run as a springboard to automatic promotion to League One.

I must pay credit to Gary Naysmith, his coaching team and the Stenny squad of players who turn up and work hard every week. Every game in the division is tight (even at times against Clyde and Elgin) with not much between the teams - our attitude and commitment to defensive solidarity these last few months have shown what can be done when the work rate and quality of the players further up the pitch is rewarded. Mon the Warriors.

8 hours ago, morrie21 said:

I realise this is disrupting the obsession with the 3 clubs in the Scottish Premiership and the odd morbid fascination with a keeper scoring in Scotland's second flight, but I think it is worth mentioning the recent form of my club, Stenhousemuir, in Scottish League Two.

Playing in a division that sees 8 out of the 10 clubs very evenly matched, Clyde (pre Jan 1) and Elgin, are pish so forget about them, Stenny won 9 out of 9 during the second quarter of fixtures.

9 out of 9. A 27 point clean sweep which has seen us open up an 11 point gap at the top of the table which will hopefully lead to a league title win.

When was the last time a team won nine in a row against comparative competition during a league campaign?

While nothing is being taken for granted in a highly competitive league, I hope that Stenny can use this run as a springboard to automatic promotion to League One.

I must pay credit to Gary Naysmith, his coaching team and the Stenny squad of players who turn up and work hard every week. Every game in the division is tight (even at times against Clyde and Elgin) with not much between the teams - our attitude and commitment to defensive solidarity these last few months have shown what can be done when the work rate and quality of the players further up the pitch is rewarded. Mon the Warriors.

Great post.   I watched Stenny a few weeks back, and they were very well structured.  Both Mattys - Yates and Aitken - are great players for L2.  

Golden Lion from Martinique endured an 8,000-mile round trip only to lose 12-0 to Lille in the French Cup.

47 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Golden Lion from Martinique endured an 8,000-mile round trip only to lose 12-0 to Lille in the French Cup.

They got to stay at the French football centre of excellence and have all travel and accommodation payed for, 8500 teams enter the Coupe de France only the 2nd greatest cup competition in the world tho apparently 🤔

Made it over to Hamilton today to see the famous Bully Wee record a rare win. A barnstormer of a first half trumped a second half fight back from Bonnyrigg. Pints taken before and after in the legendary Academical Vaults made for a pleasant afternoon despite the biting cold! 👍

38 minutes ago, slasher said:

Made it over to Hamilton today to see the famous Bully Wee record a rare win. A barnstormer of a first half trumped a second half fight back from Bonnyrigg. Pints taken before and after in the legendary Academical Vaults made for a pleasant afternoon despite the biting cold! 👍

Sounds like a cracking efternoon mate.. 👍

It looks like all the teams in the shire are away from home next weekend apart from Accies. I don’t really fancy another trip to NDP so it looks like a wee jaunt down to ‘tail of the bank’ for Morton vs Partick Thistle for me 👍

On 1/6/2024 at 7:14 PM, slasher said:

Good to hear you getting out and about and taking in some lower league fare while the Premiership is on its winter break mate. Clyde should really improve now that McCall can bring in the players he wants in this window. I'm pretty sure they will avoid finishing in the dreaded bottom spot in League Two.

That could be a straight fight between Elgin City and the once reliably good Forfar Athletic, who have declined at a rapid rate over the past three seasons or so.

Meanwhile, Stenny racked up their tenth win on the spin in the league on Saturday. The character in the squad is immense and again, although we weren't outstanding, we found a way to grind out the three points against the aforementioned Forfar. If we can beat second placed The Spartans away this coming Saturday I might just start dreaming of us winning our first league title in club history.

How does everybody feel about their teams season so far.

Airdrie have slightly exceeded my expectations. I said pre season that I thought we would stay up as we play good football but that squad size might affect us.

We have shown that we can give all the teams a game in the division and look to have opened up abit of a gap to 9th and 10th although it can change very quickly in the Championship. Outside chance of playoffs but id settle for mid table and keep building next year.

6 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Meanwhile, Stenny racked up their tenth win on the spin in the league on Saturday. The character in the squad is immense and again, although we weren't outstanding, we found a way to grind out the three points against the aforementioned Forfar. If we can beat second placed The Spartans away this coming Saturday I might just start dreaming of us winning our first league title in club history.

Yeah I saw that m8. Isn’t it some sort of record run outside of the big two? Funnily enough I thought about you when I saw it, hope they keep it going and get that first title win, that would be incredible!

I think you’re right about Clyde, still a lot of work to do but I think they will be ok. I’m looking forward to Cappielow, haven’t been there in years but I hope it’s a few degrees warmer 🤞🏻