Season 23/24 - Page 21 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Never a penalty kick for 2 main reasons if the rules are actually being applied.

1) There is a very minimal pull, the type you see at most corners

2) And this is the big one, when the pull is only slight the ref is meant to consider whether the player was likely to have got to the ball. They froze the screen for the ref at the point Goldson fell over and he was nowhere near where the ball was going. 

Robson baging on about Lammers block is stupid and actually detracts from the argument he should be having.

And why Cantwell isnt booked for a clear dive that the ref must have thought was a clear dive is beyond me.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cricket handle such matters far better with DRS system.  VAR scrutinise decisions to the millimetre and overturn if a hand or toe is judged offside after 2 minutes of scrutinising. It should not go to such ridiculous margins. If, at first look, it is not immediately clear it is offside or margins are so fine then stick with the original onfield decision as they do in cricket. Shirt tugs should only be given as pens if it is clearly stopping the player getting to a ball and stopping a goalscoring chance - not the case here. If they go down this route then VAR will be givingca penalty every time there is a corner. VAR, I am certain, is encouraging more diving in the knowledge that VAR will take a look and if simulation is good enough it will reap rewards.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Cricket handle such matters far better with DRS system.  VAR scrutinise decisions to the millimetre and overturn if a hand or toe is judged offside after 2 minutes of scrutinising. It should not go to such ridiculous margins. If, at first look, it is not immediately clear it is offside or margins are so fine then stick with the original onfield decision as they do in cricket. Shirt tugs should only be given as pens if it is clearly stopping the player getting to a ball and stopping a goalscoring chance - not the case here. If they go down this route then VAR will be givingca penalty every time there is a corner. VAR, I am certain, is encouraging more diving in the knowledge that VAR will take a look and if simulation is good enough it will reap rewards.

There are two massive problems when it comes to VAR, especially I'm scotland. 

1. Too much time is taken with multiple super slow motion replays making challenges look worse than they actually are

2. The VAR doesn't seem to be consistent in when I they're meant to get involved.

Example, yesterday's shirt tug - VAR gets involved but didn't get involved when Miosvski was pulled back by a livi player. 

Why did they get involved yesterday and not during the first game of the season?

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There are two massive problems when it comes to VAR, especially I'm scotland. 

1. Too much time is taken with multiple super slow motion replays making challenges look worse than they actually are

2. The VAR doesn't seem to be consistent in when I they're meant to get involved.

Example, yesterday's shirt tug - VAR gets involved but didn't get involved when Miosvski was pulled back by a livi player. 

Why did they get involved yesterday and not during the first game of the season?

VAR is like refereeing on the pitch. The person looking at the VAR in a dark room will have a different interpretation as to what is and isn't a foul and what does or doesn't merit a second look. That being the case the decision should remain on the pitch as the referee's interpretation should be the final say. Otherwise why are the VAR assistants not refereeing the match.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

VAR is like refereeing on the pitch. The person looking at the VAR in a dark room will have a different interpretation as to what is and isn't a foul and what does or doesn't merit a second look. That being the case the decision should remain on the pitch as the referee's interpretation should be the final say. Otherwise why are the VAR assistants not refereeing the match.

Willie Miller made a good point on the radio yesterday. These days defenders are so tight on defenders that it makes it impossible to make a run to block their route. Add to this that some teams and Rangers are one of them, use players to block off opposing defenders until the last moment. This then leads to shirt pulls/infringement  by defenders as they can't get to the attacker. 

Edited by EddardStark

14 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Barry Robson thinks is was a bad look for the Scottish game that Rangers were awarded a penalty for this. 

image.thumb.png.e0a9775706d2ef461d564d0ae8800b73.pngApparently Barry Robson thinks it a bad look for the Scottish game that Rangers were awarded a penalty for this

Come on Ed a still image proves next to nothing. That said, I do think yesterday’s incident was borderline. If they are saying Goldson was likely to have got on the end of that cross it’s a very generous take imo. The one where the kid (that looks like the blond weirdo out of the Office) takes a dive at Livingston was miles worse, actually scandalous a penalty was given for that!

9 minutes ago, slasher said:

Come on Ed a still image proves next to nothing. That said, I do think yesterday’s incident was borderline. If they are saying Goldson was likely to have got on the end of that cross it’s a very generous take imo. The one where the kid (that looks like the blond weirdo out of the Office) takes a dive at Livingston was miles worse, actually scandalous a penalty was given for that!

Under the current VAR rules its not even a controversial award. As for Cantwell I said at the time that's a booking for the dive. He really needs to address that. 

7 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Under the current VAR rules its not even a controversial award. As for Cantwell I said at the time that's a booking for the dive. He really needs to address that. 

A lot of people seem to think it is controversial under current rules (see DS’s post at the top of the page). Anyway as I said for me it was borderline. If it was given against my team I’d be more pissed at the defender doing the jersey tugging than the officials but that’s just me 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by slasher

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Barry Robson thinks is was a bad look for the Scottish game that Rangers were awarded a penalty for this. 

image.thumb.png.e0a9775706d2ef461d564d0ae8800b73.pngApparently Barry Robson thinks it a bad look for the Scottish game that Rangers were awarded a penalty for this

It amazing how many rangers fans just don't get it. If that's a penalty then we must award a penalty every time an attackers shirt is pulled in the box from now on, does that sound feasible or sensible to you?

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Watch the reply, that tells you more. One Rangers player blocks the aberdeen defender before that tug of shirt, goldson is never in a goal scoring opportunity so its not a pen and IF a tug of shirt is now a penalty......the game is fucked 

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

From yesterday  to 2/1/24 I think Rangers are will have played 13 games in 5 weeks by the time they get to the break. That's mental 

Aberdeen are the same

The next 12 games for both teams will be played within 32 days. These include European ties and a cup final

This is the price they pay for doing well in cups and qualifying for Europe 

I can see Barry Robson being sacked before the final

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It amazing how many rangers fans just don't get it. If that's a penalty then we must award a penalty every time an attackers shirt is pulled in the box from now on, does that sound feasible or sensible to you?

I don't buy into the mentalist paranoia. If a pen was given against us for that I would say fair do's. Our player made the mistake. 

3 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I don't buy into the mentalist paranoia. If a pen was given against us for that I would say fair do's. Our player made the mistake. 

You are missing the point. If a ref gives a pen for a shirt pull then there must be consistency applied. Shirt pulls happen in almost every set piece therefore we should apply this every time an attacking player has their shirt pulled at a set piece, that's not mentalist paranoia, that's asking for equality and fairness. 

42 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Hibs conceded a penalty against St Mirren the other week for the same offence as did Hertz against Rangers, try defending better is the moral of this story. Referring consistency tho ooft 😆

46 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I’m sure Aberdeen were defending there so wouldn’t have been a penalty but he certainly swings his elbow and catches Polvara in the face so for me it’s violent conduct and deserves a red card but obviously the ref didn’t see it and VAR was having a piss or making a cup of tea at the time 🤔

19 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

I’m sure Aberdeen were defending there so wouldn’t have been a penalty but he certainly swings his elbow and catches Polvara in the face so for me it’s violent conduct and deserves a red card but obviously the ref didn’t see it and VAR was having a piss or making a cup of tea at the time 🤔

Don't forget the non booking for the Aberdeen player taking out Balogun when he was running through midfield.