Tennis 2023 - Page 4 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2023

Hertsscot

3 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Had to happen the day after I booked flights specifically to try and see him at USOpen. 🙈 

He had a practice session in Cinci today so I assume it’s not that bad but he is prob determining whether he needs to pull out to protect himself for NY. 

Yes well he is in the draw for Cinci so all must be well.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Had to happen the day after I booked flights specifically to try and see him at USOpen. 🙈 

He had a practice session in Cinci today so I assume it’s not that bad but he is prob determining whether he needs to pull out to protect himself for NY. 

I was hoping Murray would have one last hurrah ina a Slam, not necessarily winning it but getting deep into the 2nd week but I'm starting to doubt this now. His body just doesn't seem up to it anymore

On 8/14/2023 at 9:04 AM, vanderark14 said:

I was hoping Murray would have one last hurrah ina a Slam, not necessarily winning it but getting deep into the 2nd week but I'm starting to doubt this now. His body just doesn't seem up to it anymore

Yeah, I’ve been at this realisation for a while. Combination of things in terms of the fact that it’s a miracle what he’s doing after the hip op, but I think we often forget his age now. We all want these guys to go on and on but it catches up with the best as we’ve seen from Fed and Rafa, and I suspect Djokovic is just starting to drop off ever so slightly as well. 

He just doesn’t seem to be able to string a run of results together or do enough damage to guys that are top 20 or sometimes higher. Wimbledon was a great opp to go 2nd week of a slam but he couldn’t put away Tsitsipas. He couldn’t ask for much better opportunity than that. 

He’s pulled out of Cincy today which seemed sensible. Hopefully the fact he’s been practicing is a good sign at least in terms of chances to make USOpen. 

Unfortunate that he’s missed out on seeding again by the look of things. 

• 2 weeks later...

Murray faces Moutet in the 1st Round of the US Open - a match he should win.

Andy has always been a player who plays the long game. By that I mean settling into long rallies and being like a chess master towin a point but that takes up lots of energy. He has always played that way and does not look like changing it. It worked for him when he was younger and could outlast most players but that is not the case now. If he were to re-invent himself and look to foreshorten points and be more aggressive then shorten matches it may help him conserve energy but I think Andy is too set in his ways.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray wins his 200th slam match beating Moutet 6-2 7-5 6-3 in just under three hours. A tough match in testing conditions. Next up will be the winner of the Dmitrov/Molcan matcch who are deep into a fifth set with approaching four and a quarter hours played.

Dream come true seeing the legend. 😁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

6da1456c-693c-4e5c-a4b2-c0296048c505.jpeg

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Superb stuff.

Did you get around other courts? Who else did you watch?

Yep. We watched a few games of Berretini - Humbert at the start of the day, then went to Louis Armstrong to see some of Ons Jabeur. 

Headed back out and caught the tail end of Katie Boulter winning before we went in to Grandstand to our seats. That had Leyla Fernandez before Murray, and Wawrinka-Nishioka afterwards.  

Someone kindly gave us tickets for Ashe for the evening as well so we went in to see Alcaraz but we were done in by that stage and ready for leaving, then his game was stopped anyway. 

Another disappointing tournament exit from Murray yesterday. I think it kinda summed up where things have been for the last while - decent victory in R1 against someone who just didn’t have much to offer, but as soon as he’s playing any level of quality in the top 30 or so he’s coming up short. 

He looked as if he was in the game in the 1st set against Dimitrov, but never seemed 100% comfortably and then just seemed to crumble. 

I think his assessment in post-match interview was very balanced. Saying that he’s still enjoying it but starting to question whether he can go deep in a slam. Also said if he starts to go backwards in rankings then that might be a sign of time up. The fact that his current ranking points are topped up by his summer Challenger level wins shows that he’s got a struggle on his hands. Hopefully still a bit of life in him yet though. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

24 slams for Djokovic now

Hard to argue against him being Greatest mens player of al time now. 

I’ve never warmed to him but as you say, you have to respect him as the greatest ever for sure. 

I only watched bits of it last night, but mostly the 2nd set which was incredible stuff. Djokovic was struggling big time at key points in that set and still found a way. 

His mental strength is incredible. 

I think it was in the second set, a point Medvedev eventually one but one of the commentators said, against almost any other player in history he’d have won that point a lot easier and sooner but Djokovic’s defensive play is so good it was a much harder point to win. 

He’s the best I’ve seen, as a casual tennis viewer. 

Simona Halep gats a 4 year ban for doping effectively ending her professional career 

Bet she wishes she had kept her huge boobs now ..

Just saw that Andy Murray played his Davis Cup match on the day of his grans funeral.

BBC quite poorly opened up a comments section that broadly commended the act, alongside the normal level of UK flag shagging.

I don't have any feelings on whether he should have played or not. People deal with bereavement in different ways I suppose.

Good wins for Britain in Manchester to see them through to the Davis Cup finals in Malaga in November. 

I was questioning whether Murray should have been playing in the lead up to the tournament given he’s needing to protect his body. Part of that is my bias in not loving the idea of the Brit-fest of the Davis Cup - but Murray seems to enjoy it and if it keeps him engaged and enjoying his tennis then fair play. I think he only played one game in the end anyway. 

On 9/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, AlfieMoon said:

Good wins for Britain in Manchester to see them through to the Davis Cup finals in Malaga in November. 

I was questioning whether Murray should have been playing in the lead up to the tournament given he’s needing to protect his body. Part of that is my bias in not loving the idea of the Brit-fest of the Davis Cup - but Murray seems to enjoy it and if it keeps him engaged and enjoying his tennis then fair play. I think he only played one game in the end anyway. 

Despite the brit fest its good to see him enjoying the win. Serbia up next in the Davis cup

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Andy Murray is in danger of ruining his legacy, maybe it’s the thought of a season ticket at Easter Road that’s keeping him from retiring 

Maybe he just loves playing tennis?

He goes up in my estimations if he just keeps playing at whatever level he is capable of competing at. It shows he loves the sport, and it's not just about the glory and the money for him.

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Maybe he just loves playing tennis?

He goes up in my estimations if he just keeps playing at whatever level he is capable of competing at. It shows he loves the sport, and it's not just about the glory and the money for him.

He’s not competing tho