Tennis 2023 - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2023

Hertsscot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Stevanovic doing my head in, high piercing yelping when playing shots. Thought we hadn't heard that for a while in the women's game.

😆me and my wife said the same. We switched it off after ten minutes 

I’m glad they opted for Bublik-Rublev for CC @vanderark14 .  You got an absolutely cracking match there and both are characters, especially Bublik.  

Swiatek-Bencic going the distance and lots of drama there as well although I missed most of that match. 

Shame you didn’t get to see Djokovic thru to a finale. A few folk complaining that they shifted CC start time to 1:30pm during Covid to stagger the start time for crowd control, with C1 starting at 1pm.  They should really shift it back now and reclaim that 30mins. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

She's from Belarus and was playing a Ukrainian. 

The booing was out of order IMO

Yeah, Azarenka was nothing but respectful and politely acknowledged Svitolina but didn’t hang around to make an issue given Elina had said she wouldn’t shake hands.

Azarenka is decent and I’m sure is on the players Council and well respected on the tour.  

Poor from the idiots in the crowd.  

9 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yeah, Azarenka was nothing but respectful and politely acknowledged Svitolina but didn’t hang around to make an issue given Elina had said she wouldn’t shake hands.

Given Svitolina's stance, Azarenka was actually being respectful rather than going over to offer a handshake only for Svitolina to decline and get booed as happened in Paris. I must admit to being surprised there was no handshake at the end but there was an immediate explanation by whomever was commenting on the BBC. The crowd didn't cover themselves in a lot of glory, I wonder how much Pimm's had been consumed at that stage. OMF (one more fact) is a useful principle to live by 

QF line ups looking decent.  

Alcaraz is definitely evolving quickly but has a tough match next against Rune. I imagine it’ll be Djokovic v Sinner in the bottom half SF. Can’t see past Djokovic for the title but if Alcaraz gets that far it’ll be interesting to see if he copes better than Paris. 

Women’s draw is fairly open I think. Swiatek is vulnerable. It would be nice to see Jabeur win the title after losing last year if she can make it that far.

I reckon Sabalenka is maybe the one though, but I’ve not seen how she’s playing on grass. She is a complete machine physically. 

5 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

QF line ups looking decent.  

Alcaraz is definitely evolving quickly but has a tough match next against Rune. I imagine it’ll be Djokovic v Sinner in the bottom half SF. Can’t see past Djokovic for the title but if Alcaraz gets that far it’ll be interesting to see if he copes better than Paris. 

Women’s draw is fairly open I think. Swiatek is vulnerable. It would be nice to see Jabeur win the title after losing last year if she can make it that far.

I reckon Sabalenka is maybe the one though, but I’ve not seen how she’s playing on grass. She is a complete machine physically. 

Svitolina beat Swiatek. That's a big win for her

Djockovuc current 1 set down to rublev

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Entertaining womens semi final between JAbeur and Sabalenka

Only watched a bit of it but Sabalenka looked defeated from the midway point of the final set. 

I’m definitely Team Jabeur for the final on Sat. 

On 7/13/2023 at 7:43 PM, AlfieMoon said:

Only watched a bit of it but Sabalenka looked defeated from the midway point of the final set. 

I’m definitely Team Jabeur for the final on Sat. 

I wanted Vondrousova to win. First unseeded player to win the women's title. Superb women's tournament this year

I really hope Alcaraz wins today. Tennis needs someone to rival Djokovic. 

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I wanted Vondrousova to win. First unseeded player to win the women's title. Superb women's tournament this year

I really hope Alcaraz wins today. Tennis needs someone to rival Djokovic. 

Yeah it was a fair achievement from her to be fair.  I believe that took her up to no.10 in the world now. 

Watching the final now and it’s s bit edgy at times. Feel like Alcaraz is hanging on a bit so would be really surprised if Novak doesn’t win. 

Djokovic seems to be pushing the shot clock all the time. Think the umpire is scared to take him on. No lose for Novak - he either gets the advantage of time, or else feeds off the negative energy if he gets a decision or crowd against him. 

46 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yeah it was a fair achievement from her to be fair.  I believe that took her up to no.10 in the world now. 

Watching the final now and it’s s bit edgy at times. Feel like Alcaraz is hanging on a bit so would be really surprised if Novak doesn’t win. 

Djokovic seems to be pushing the shot clock all the time. Think the umpire is scared to take him on. No lose for Novak - he either gets the advantage of time, or else feeds off the negative energy if he gets a decision or crowd against him. 

The umpire finally got him told. As much as I admire djokovic, he can be a right wanker sometimes. 

I think this is why he doesn't get the admiration of Federer/Nadal It's a bit like the Ronaldo v Messi debate. I often think Messi wins because Ronaldo is a prick 😆 

If I'm focusing on just the tennis, this is the final I wanted and it's living up yo expectation. Some superb shots going on

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The umpire finally got him told. As much as I admire djokovic, he can be a right wanker sometimes. 

I think this is why he doesn't get the admiration of Federer/Nadal It's a bit like the Ronaldo v Messi debate. I often think Messi wins because Ronaldo is a prick 😆 

If I'm focusing on just the tennis, this is the final I wanted and it's living up yo expectation. Some superb shots going on

Some game there!!! 😳

I’d still have Djokovic as favourite from here over 5 sets, even 2 breaks down in the 3rd.  Maybe 65/35 - just given everything he had done in the game and the amount of experience - but he does look physically troubled.  Alcaraz bound to get tight though. 

56 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Some game there!!! 😳

I’d still have Djokovic as favourite from here over 5 sets, even 2 breaks down in the 3rd.  Maybe 65/35 - just given everything he had done in the game and the amount of experience - but he does look physically troubled.  Alcaraz bound to get tight though. 

I said the same to the wife, at 2 1 alacaraz, djokovic could still win this, every time you think he's down he comes back........or can alcaraz finally stop his centre court run