Tennis 2023 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2023

Hertsscot

I was watching the tennis yesterday. Alcaraz looks in good form for Wimbledon. Shot of the day though was from De Minaur. He hit a shot near to the net with so much backspin that it bounced back to his own side of the net!  It was an incredible shot and I don't think I've ever seen the like before.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/1/2023 at 4:58 PM, vanderark14 said:

Tickets I have should mean I see djokovic on centre court next Sunday unless he gets knocked out early. 

I’d be fairly certain you’ll be seeing Djokovic. 👍  Can’t see anyone stopping him tbh. 

Think you’ll have a chance of maybe Sinner or Ruud on that side of draw as well. Swiatek the standout female if she makes it that far. 

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

After a nervy start by Andy Murray he settled down to play some nice stuff beating Ryan Peniston 6-3 6-0 6-1  in just over two hours. Good to see he won with minimum court time as bigger challenges lie ahead.

Yeah, was a bit difficult to judge where Murray was at from that match but got to take positives from coming through quick and unscathed without much exertion. 

Thiem and Tsitsipas will have less recovery time. Let’s hope it goes a long match. 

Question marks over Stef on grass, and Thiem has never quite got back to heights from a few years ago. Hopefully Murray can beat either of them but will defo be a challenge. 

Murray will meet Tsitsipas in R2. 

I’d have fancied him against Thiem more tbh but still a good chance. 

I’m sure there was a bit of niggle before when Murray wasn’t happy with Tstitsipas using long toilet breaks to break up the game when they met before. 

Hopefully the crowd can rattle Stef and get him vulnerable. 

I’d guess it will be the last match on Centre tomorrow if they get through the backlog okay from yesterday. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

Murray rolled back the years yesterday. Absolutely superb from him

I saw a BBC post about his mum and It still surprises me how bitter and nasty people can be towards Murray and his mum

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Tsitsipas is an arrogant little wank

Aye, he totally is. Thought he was alright when he arrived on the scene but he is a prick. 

Totally gutted after that.  

Murray’s head dropped after that challenge that he didn’t make in the 4th set. Directing his frustration at his box for not giving him a shout whether to challenge. Maybe easy to point to that but I suppose Murray has plenty of moans like that over the course of the match. 

Seemed to run out of steam but I wonder if it was more about the difficulty to replicate the adrenaline from last night. He might regret not getting those extra few games last night if they’d kept playing as I felt that Tsitsipas was on the ropes. 

Just now, Malcolm said:

I hope he keeps going, at least just now. He has shown he can still give a top 10 player a game.

I’m pretty sure he’ll keep going. 

Feels like a big missed opportunity though. Could have been in with a really good shot at making the QF if he’d just closed out that 4th set. 

10 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I’m pretty sure he’ll keep going. 

Feels like a big missed opportunity though. Could have been in with a really good shot at making the QF if he’d just closed out that 4th set. 

A little bit of arrogance is ok when you can back it up. Tsitsipas just scraped by a 36 year with a metal hip  😆 

50 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I will say this tho, Tsitsipas will win a major when Djockovic retires or if he gets injured in any upcoming tournaments 

Him and Alcaraz will clean up

Not so sure he’s all that to be honest. Great serve and forehand and obviously fairly athletic. He was playing like a man possessed last night. He’s vulnerable though and Alcaraz is a different level in comparison IMO.  

I’d have Medvedev ahead of Stef. Ruud is making decent progress despite exiting Wimbledon early. Then you have other guys like Rune showing potential. 

I think Alcaraz is the one though. He has the potential to win a lot of slams. 

32 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Not so sure he’s all that to be honest. Great serve and forehand and obviously fairly athletic. He was playing like a man possessed last night. He’s vulnerable though and Alcaraz is a different level in comparison IMO.  

I’d have Medvedev ahead of Stef. Ruud is making decent progress despite exiting Wimbledon early. Then you have other guys like Rune showing potential. 

I think Alcaraz is the one though. He has the potential to win a lot of slams. 

I agree re Alcaraz, he's going to dominate for a period of time

@vanderark14

Have a great day on Sunday btw! 👍 

Just checking the results there and expect you’ll get Djokovic v Hurkacz, Swiatek v Bencic and if I was to guess, I think they’ll maybe put Sinner on instead of Rublev (Russian) even though his match is two seeded players going head to head as he’s playing Bublik. 

Sure to be great whatever the line up is though. Remember your cairy oot and picnic. 😬🍓🎾🍾

Edited by AlfieMoon

9 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

@vanderark14

Have a great day on Sunday btw! 👍 

Just checking the results there and expect you’ll get Djokovic v Hurkacz, Swiatek v Bencic and if I was to guess, I think they’ll maybe put Sinner on instead of Rublev (Russian) even though his match is two seeded players going head to head as he’s playing Bublik. 

Sure to be great whatever the line up is though. Remember your cairy oot and picnic. 😬🍓🎾🍾

Thanks. We cant wait, lunch and a few beers on the hill before we head into centre court.