Tennis 2023 - Page 3 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2023

Hertsscot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delighted with that.  

It was a big ask of Alcaraz after how his body let him down in their last meeting. You got the feeling that if he lost again then it would get harder for him to believe he could beat Djokovic.  

An incredible win. 

4 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Annabelle Croft.  She, and many of the others doing the on court stuff this year have been terrible. 

Andrew Castle and henman for the whole final was a disgrace. Just a pair of boring drones completely void of any personality 

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Andrew Castle and henman for the whole final was a disgrace. Just a pair of boring drones completely void of any personality 

I like Henman, he gives some good insight and comes across as a decent guy. Castle, on the other hand is a complete and utter wanker!

It beats me though why the BBC pay McEnroe so much money yet don’t use him for the final 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

It beats me though why the BBC pay McEnroe so much money yet don’t use him for the final

I think he splits his time between BBC and US TV, so does the final for the Americans. 

9 minutes ago, slasher said:

I like Henman, he gives some good insight and comes across as a decent guy. Castle, on the other hand is a complete and utter wanker!

It beats me though why the BBC pay McEnroe so much money yet don’t use him for the final 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cotter would have been better. 

18 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Her Husband died a few weeks ago 

I've not been her biggest fan (probably quite unfairly) but given what she's been through she has been quite incredible. I know Djokovic lost a game of tennis but what she's been through puts things into perspective.

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I've not been her biggest fan (probably quite unfairly) but given what she's been through she has been quite incredible. I know Djokovic lost a game of tennis but what she's been through puts things into perspective.

Must have been devastating hearing that news that he only had a short time left to live.

• 3 weeks later...

Decent win for Murray tonight in Washington against Nakashima (rank 74).  

Similar to pre-Wimbledon, needs a run to be able to make seedings for US Open. Might be a big ask but has a few tournaments coming up depending on what he chooses to enter. 

@vanderark14 

Quick question - part tennis / part travel. 

Looking at going to the US Open - I think I remember you saying you’d been before.  

I’ve never been to NY before just wondering what you think on best area to stay - or where you stayed? I would have posted on the travel section, but this forum is dead these days. 

I’ve seen a lot of folk on Reddit threads saying to avoid anywhere near Times Square, but others saying Midtown is best so that you are near all the tourist action. I had a glance at some hotels at Chelsea that I thought might be a nicer area but not too sure. The missus kept bringing up hotels close to Grand central station, but my experience from most cities is that areas next to big train stations are usually best avoided. 

9 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

@vanderark14 

Quick question - part tennis / part travel. 

Looking at going to the US Open - I think I remember you saying you’d been before.  

I’ve never been to NY before just wondering what you think on best area to stay - or where you stayed? I would have posted on the travel section, but this forum is dead these days. 

I’ve seen a lot of folk on Reddit threads saying to avoid anywhere near Times Square, but others saying Midtown is best so that you are near all the tourist action. I had a glance at some hotels at Chelsea that I thought might be a nicer area but not too sure. The missus kept bringing up hotels close to Grand central station, but my experience from most cities is that areas next to big train stations are usually best avoided. 

We stayed just off times square in the intercontinental, we didn't mind staying in times square as it was our first time in new york. I'd definitely find something cheaper if we went to new york again because we were never in the hotel except to sleep and shower.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

We stayed just off times square in the intercontinental, we didn't mind staying in times square as it was our first time in new york. I'd definitely find something cheaper if we went to new york again because we were never in the hotel except to sleep and shower.

Cheers mate! 👍 

Another good battling victory for Andy last night. Currently sitting 36 in the rankings. 

Sinner up next in Toronto. It would be a major upset if Murray managed to win that one.  

Still another Masters 1000 (Cinci) to come before the USOpen so still has a chance at a seeding. 

On 8/10/2023 at 12:03 PM, AlfieMoon said:

Another good battling victory for Andy last night. Currently sitting 36 in the rankings. 

Sinner up next in Toronto. It would be a major upset if Murray managed to win that one.  

Still another Masters 1000 (Cinci) to come before the USOpen so still has a chance at a seeding. 

Ultimately, he withdrew from the Sinner match with an abdominal strain. Worrying time to pick up such an injury with the US Open just three weeks away.

On 8/12/2023 at 2:51 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Ultimately, he withdrew from the Sinner match with an abdominal strain. Worrying time to pick up such an injury with the US Open just three weeks away.

Had to happen the day after I booked flights specifically to try and see him at USOpen. 🙈 

He had a practice session in Cinci today so I assume it’s not that bad but he is prob determining whether he needs to pull out to protect himself for NY. 

Edited by AlfieMoon