Mcgeady And Mccarthy - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mcgeady And Mccarthy

Irishandproud

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that going up the way or doon? I thought Rugby was the most popular?

Rugby is 4th. Only big in Limerick, the posh schools of Dublin and the protestant side of the north.

Gaelic football is big everywhere.

Hurling is big in Kilkenny, Offaly, Tipperray, Cork and Galway.

So you're a glory-hunter? Plain and simple.

You won't go support a team because they are normally fighting against relegation? But you can buy Sky Sports and support a foreign team.

That's pathetic.

Hardly a glory hunter,originally from a place close to Shamrock Rovers stadium.(10km) I support the local team, a glory supporter would support Rovers (Irelands most successful club) I now live 80 km from where my team plays, would you honestly travel every second weekend to watch sub standard football.

Ireland are my passion and come ahead of Everton,Bray Wanderers and any other team you care to mention. Have no problem travelling up to Ireland games every few months/weeks as its not as costly as going every second week. Also don't have sky sports, have BT and Everton have been on that twice this year I think. Also football in Ireland is not the most popular sport, I would imagine it is Second or third behind Hurling and Gaelic football which are both doses of parochial crap in my opinion, but the majority in this country like them so the LOI finds it hard to compete against them.

Would you justify going to a league where the CAO of the FAI makes 400,000 per year while the league winners get 200,000. Clubs can't even afford to sign players for more than a year, and the same players play for different teams each year. I thought after Rovers received a few million for qualifying for the Europa League that league was going to improve,but god knows what has ever happened to that money because Rovers have gotten worse since then. Its a league full of mediocrity competing with The EPL and the Powerful GAA. The media also rams Rugby down our throats here, as its the game of the elite. Dundalk bet Cork City in the league decider the other day but the newspaper I was reading had half a page of a report while the Premier League, GAA and rugby dominated the sports pages.

Also imo there a one or two LOI who are better than current players in the Ireland squad, but will never receive call ups, however as soon as they move to England they are considered "International Standard" you can't call me pathetic because these views have been forced down on Irish people and the FAI are mostly the ones who enforce these negative views.

The order of popularity is as follows

Gaelic Football

Hurling

Soccer

Rugby

Surely rugby is more popular that soccer? You probably get more fans at a Munster home match than the entire LoI combined attendence.

When i moved to Dublin my local team were Shamrock Rovers. Decided not to support them though (probably cos they play in Celtic strips :lol: ) and picked the next closest St. Pats.

I don't go as often as i should, but i still think it's important to make the effort to support a local team with your cash by going to games/buying merchandise or whatever.

Surely rugby is more popular that soccer? You probably get more fans at a Munster home match than the entire LoI combined attendence.

When i moved to Dublin my local team were Shamrock Rovers. Decided not to support them though (probably cos they play in Celtic strips :lol: ) and picked the next closest St. Pats.

I don't go as often as i should, but i still think it's important to make the effort to support a local team with your cash by going to games/buying merchandise or whatever.

Yeah but thats because Leinster represents 2.5 million people and Munster represents 1.2 million people,if there were 4 provincial football clubs you would get these attendances too, I am guessing.

I watched my team in the 4th tier of Scottish football Saturday with a 'official' crowd of 1150..

Standard wasn't that great though so might just pick a EPL team out the hat and start supporting them, Betsy supporting the 'most Irish' EPL team that has 2 real Irishman in it, 1 dud that never plays and Coleman. Lol.

Actually I'd take an Arbroath game over watching a team on the tele any day of the week, I watched the El Classico, Chelsea United this weekend but the game I genuinely enjoyed the most was the Arbroath one. These armchair fans just dinna get it.

Hopefully I never get to that stage, kin when you start judging players down to the club they play for or who's better rated on Champ Man?

The Hearts Hibs game on Saturday even in our 2nd tier was a fantastic watch with some very good quality.

Edited by 1320lichtie

I watched my team in the 4th tier of Scottish football Saturday with a 'official' crowd of 1150..

Standard wasn't that great though so might just pick a EPL team out the hat and start supporting them, Betsy supporting the 'most Irish' EPL team that has 2 real Irishman in it, 1 dud that never plays and Coleman. Lol.

Actually I'd take an Arbroath game over watching a team on the tele any day of the week, I watched the El Classico, Chelsea United this weekend but the game I genuinely enjoyed the most was the Arbroath one. These armchair fans just dinna get it.

Hopefully I never get to that stage, kin when you start judging players down to the club they play for or who's better rated on Champ Man?

The Hearts Hibs game on Saturday even in our 2nd tier was a fantastic watch with some very good quality.

Sorry pal,but who did McCarthy and McGeady play for,and what kind of passport do they hold? Said 4 irish internationals.

Standard wasn't that great though so might just pick a EPL team out the hat and start supporting them, Betsy supporting the 'most Irish' EPL team that has 2 real Irishman in it, 1 dud that never plays and Coleman.

Funny you want phil bardsley called up though?? Can't have it both ways.

Standard wasn't that great though so might just pick a EPL team out the hat and start supporting them, Betsy supporting the 'most Irish' EPL team that has 2 real Irishman in it, 1 dud that never plays and Coleman.

Funny you want phil bardsley called up though?? Can't have it both ways.

What's that got to do with it?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-mcqueen-hope-james-mccarthy-4601708

Apologies for posting a link to this rag but McQueen is spot on! :ok:

That story has been causing a big stooshie on all the Irish sports sites. The most popular response on the Setanta Sports facebook page is the comment "Bitter orange b@stard".

Lovely stuff :blink:

Very hypocritical comments from McQueen though. We could have done without them IMO.

What makes him a hypocrit? He was Scottish and thus played for Scotland.

The stuff about Wilson and Rioch.

If he's ok with them growing up in England as Scots, then why is he not ok with McGeady and McCarthy growing up in Scotland as Irishmen?

The stuff about Wilson and Rioch.

If he's ok with them growing up in England as Scots, then why is he not ok with McGeady and McCarthy growing up in Scotland as Irishmen?

McQueen's interest starts with Scotland and ends with Scotland. He doesn't give two hoots about other nations. He just sees who wants to play for us. But I can see where you are coming from though.

Gordon McQueen is no hypocrite but one of the best and most patriotic defenders to pull on a Scotland shirt. I am in complete agreement with him. McGeady and McCarthy were both born in Glasgow and had the advantage of being schooled and coached there. McGeady was mentored and heavily influenced by Tommy Burns, and McCarthy benefited from the Hamilton youth academy. They were nurtured by the Scottish system and their response was to reject it. At best this displays lack of gratitude and at worst treason. The grandfather rule is a complete piece of nonsense that dilutes the concept of playing for a country.

If Messrs McGeady and McCarthy are to be given pelters at CP - behaviour, if you believe the Daily Record that is endorsed by The Two Gogsies Strachan and McQueen, the will ingerland fans not be justified in 'joining in the fun' on the following Tuesday by dishing up similar to James Morrison to name but one?