Angus Gunn - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Angus Gunn

10 hours ago, wanderer said:

No, Tavernier is not eligible.... he has not went through 5 years of education in Scotland to make himself eligible (simply living in Scotland is not enough, as there is no such thing as a Scottish Passport, for the moment....).

This story steams from a journalist at the Daily Record who wrote a piece that he was eligible and that we should lay the red carpet out to him, and the writer in question was prepared to die on a hill over this claim on Social Media..... even when the guys from the SFA were replying to him that he was wrong and did not know the in's and out's of the rules.

It was the same when there was rumours that Nacho Novo was going to get a call up from George Burley, but he was not eligible also.

I'm not saying he's eligible under the current rules, I'm merely pointing out Tavernier would be the only player to become eligible if we had a five years residency rule. 👍

4 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Crikey have a great time 👍 No specific reason but your committing to 5 years, reckon there's something you're not telling us😉

I only I was actually any good at the game! 🙃

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

I think its simply a case that England asked first, and we have never actually formally approached him (there is a article from years ago where Eck says he has spoke to to his dad about him, but never actually spoken to Angus) plus his club career has been rather iffy up to now.... 27 years old (when most keepers are starting to reach their peak) and apart from this season, averages less than 10 games a season up to now (that is not form which warrants a call up for international football from any nation)

Is it not 112 in 6 seasons, 30 of which were in the EPL.  Didn't realise he had been involved in a £13.5 million transfer when only 23.

I don't think he was the only one who thought he might make it into the England team.

38 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Some excellent reporting on Gunn inclusion in todays papers, very positive. Everybody loves a feel good story 

i still think that professional  players should commit their nationality at 18 and not pick and choose, but if he turns up shows commitment will get my support.

46 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i still think that professional  players should commit their nationality at 18 and not pick and choose, but if he turns up shows commitment will get my support.

Sorry Malcolm I couldn't disagree more. As I've stated in previous posts at 18 you've more important things in your life to worry about. In most players cases proving yourself good enough to get a pro contract for starters.

The vast majority of pro players never play international football at any age level,add to that some though pretty rare international players are still playing part time at 18( John McGinley for us, Jamie Vardy for them come to mind) so such a rule would be practically unworkable.

At 18 some are more mature than others, I personally was a late developer in all fields, at that age I was still sniffing about trying to get my first hole, finally some time later it did happen but certainly it wasn't with a first love I'd want to commit to having a career with 🤣

3 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Sorry Malcolm I couldn't disagree more. As I've stated in previous posts at 18 you've more important things in your life to worry about. In most players cases proving yourself good enough to get a pro contract for starters.

The vast majority of pro players never play international football at any age level,add to that some though pretty rare international players are still playing part time at 18( John McGinley for us, Jamie Vardy for them come to mind) so such a rule would be practically unworkable.

At 18 some are more mature than others, I personally was a late developer in all fields, at that age I was still sniffing about trying to get my first hole, finally some time later it did happen but certainly it wasn't with a first love I'd want to commit to having a career with 🤣

👍 agree to disagree.  When it come to nationality I think you know who you are at 18, but I appreciate people can still be at different life stages!

Clarke in The Times today saying he is prepared to wait for players if they can not decide if they want to play for us or now (says he has spoken with Elliot Anderson about a call up).

Suppose if he does it in quiet and accepts the first answer, then there is no harm.... just hope it does not turn in to Levein where he would never let it go and use the media to keep pushing at a player to switch to us.

Slightly off-topic but I read a book recently that focused on very marginal FIFA countries, mostly in the Caribbean or Asia who's FAs specifically look overseas to places like the UK to find children and grandchildren of generationally displaced diaspora who have benefitted from proper coaching and facilities that their home country doesn't have in order to find players in lower leagues and semi-pro ranks who might fancy a taste of international football.

In some cases, the results are having half of a team that can't speak the same language as the other half.

Was getting heated on BBC Scotland on Saturday afternoon when it came to goalkeepers.... most were of the opinion that Clark and Kelly should be playing next Saturday (this was a bit rich to to talk about when Hearts were 3-0 down to Aberdeen at the time, and on the back of Clark letting 6 goals in to Celtic in the space of 3-4 days), with only Willie Miller being the one sticking up for Gunn (but think out of loyalty to his dad more so than anything).

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Was getting heated on BBC Scotland on Saturday afternoon when it came to goalkeepers.... most were of the opinion that Clark and Kelly should be playing next Saturday (this was a bit rich to to talk about when Hearts were 3-0 down to Aberdeen at the time, and on the back of Clark letting 6 goals in to Celtic in the space of 3-4 days), with only Willie Miller being the one sticking up for Gunn (but think out of loyalty to his dad more so than anything).

Irrelevant, Clarke’s the man making the hard/big decisions 

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Irrelevant, Clarke’s the man making the hard/big decisions 

Agree. I do think Clark was firmly in contention for starting on Saturday (even when Gunn was announced) but Hearts form of late has probably made Clarke's choice easier for him.

31 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

BBC Scotland pundits are zoomers anyway, could literally pick folk off the street to do a better job

They were going off in all sorts of directions..... talking his dad up and bring up holidays they had to Ibiza in the 80's, then going on and on that Kelly and Clark should be at the front of the line.... Chick Young butted in a few times saying he is eligible and lets move on.... then they all tried to bring up the "Scotland going home" tweet, and brought up Harvey Barnes....

1 hour ago, ghorne67 said:

Liam Kelly shouldn't even be near the squad never mind in discussion for a start. His attempt at the Rangers free kick was laughable, a bang average SPL standard goalie if there was ever one.

I tend to agree. I have seen him pull off some decent stops but more than a few times I've seen goals he's conceded and thought he looked questionable at best

I was a big fan of Liam Kelly and thought he was unlucky at QPR (their fans seemed to blame the defence more than him more often than not) but this season he's looked a shadow of what he was a year ago. Maybe his confidence has been blown with Motherwell being down where they are but he does seem to have gone backwards.

The McCrorie situation is still the oddest one. I think he could be a good keeper for us and on the rare occasion he gets a chance for Rangers he seems to play well and then is cast aside as soon as Mclaughlin or McGregor is fit again. I'd really like him to leave this summer, especially since Beale has been very public about wanting to sign a new keeper and he's not given McCrorie a sniff.

His justification seems to be around not feeling like he deserved to be called up when not playing regularly as 1st choice, until he joined Norwich.

I can't say historically I've paid any attention to his situation. Is there any evidence that we actually approached him for a senior callup? Or is all this vitriol based on who he represented at youth level?

5 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

His justification seems to be around not feeling like he deserved to be called up when not playing regularly as 1st choice, until he joined Norwich.

I can't say historically I've paid any attention to his situation. Is there any evidence that we actually approached him for a senior callup? Or is all this vitriol based on who he represented at youth level?

Eck approached his dad about taking him on the South American tour, but has said that he never spoke to Angus directly.

I would have imagined that Malky MacKay probably made an enquirey when he was working at the SFA, given he found Che Adams and approached Harvey Barnes.... but how much I do not know.

8 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

McLeish did ask him. Or at least asked some one to ask him if Wanderer is correct.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

40 minutes ago, wanderer said:

McLeish basically saying he only spoke to his dad, and hinting that it was more down to Gunn to approach him than an approach from Eck

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/angus-gunn-scotland-alex-mcleish-14124445

Scott Bain, Jon McLaughlin and Jordan Archer, you could hardly  blame him for approaching Gunn