SNP leadership election - Page 62 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

9 minutes ago, stocky said:

Two terms is the max anyone should be at first minister etc 

Maybe 3 for all others .

That would get rid of dead wood like murdo, bailie, Rennie etc 

Also the snp deadwood. Lobby fodder etc..

however that would have stopped Nicola becoming first minister in 2014, as that was her 4th term I think....

I don't really know.....so maybe I'm just talking shite ..

That's the problem in fixing one problem you create others. Easy to implement something to fix a problem, however then you have to think what unintended consequences happen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, daviebee said:

Once it comes out what these evil bstrds tried to do to Alex Salmond you'll find that the public perception of him will change.  Until now all they know is what they've read in the papers, seen on the TV, or witnessed from that screeching wee harridan during what was supposed to be a Covid briefing.  Not everyone reads the pro-indy blogs.

I've been saying for ages that this boil needs to be lanced ASAP so the sooner the better.  There's still 50% of the electorate up for grabs with the other 50 being split between 3 unionist parties so I wouldn't be too pessimistic.  That 50% are not going to suddenly vote for parties that have proven themselves to be enemies of Scotland (although you could argue that's what they've been doing for 8 years!).

Fumigating the SNP WILL make a difference - a HELL of a difference.  Once folk see that all the sh*te has been cleared out and a no-nonsense leader is in place who'll actually promote folk to her cabinet based on what's between their ears rather than their legs like Sturgeon's gender-balanced nonsense, the voters will come back.

There's been folk on this thread saying Sturgeon was a "plant".  I really don't think she was.  I reckon she was just a total incompetent who surrounded herself with nobodies that wouldn't outshine her, all the while keeping the referendum carrot dangling for her side of the electorate.  That day at the Hydro well and truly went to her head and that's when the personality cult started.  All over now though and been a long time in coming.

I hope you are right on all of this but I think you are wide of the mark on AS. I dont think public perception will change much at all. He was disliked long before any of the accusations, in fact the reason there was so little support for him was probably due to how unpopular he was. 
I also think it will be hard enough keeping a lot of yes voters onside never mind win over the other 50%. People who are uninterested in politics do not look at individuals , many will not even know who their MSP or MP is. They will not really be interested in who takes over, they will just hear SNP = corruption. 

5 hours ago, Freeedom said:

What do you mean without the SNP? I'm talking about structural change in the party and reforming it for the better, how exactly is that a bad thing?

The SNP are already in a web of lies of their own making, addressing and confronting that issue is how we move forward. What exactly is your suggestion, that we ignore any of this happend and just soldier on?

Of course I want issues confronted, where on earth do do you get the impression I want it ignored . I am a baw hair away from packing in my membership and most definitely will if there are found to be serious lies and deception. I am only in the SNP for one thing and will absolutely not support them until they can prove there has been real change. 

If there is a load of shit to come out it will take a lot more than structural change for the SNP to be close to being in power again. I really think their support will disappear and whilst this happens Independence will be off the cards for a long long time. Labour are already edging closer, I would not be the least bit surprised to see the SNP lead narrowed to negligible margins in a very short period of time. 

All that said I hope you and daviebee are right. 

There are still two Nuclear options that could happen

The Leadership election could be scrapped and re-run with the same candidates

The new leader of the SNP might not be elected first minister

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There are still two Nuclear options that could happen

The Leadership election could be scrapped and re-run with the same candidates

The new leader of the SNP might not be elected first minister

That might not be that bad in the long run. Get Dougie in as FM. That could be interesting.

Kate Forbes saying that Scotland shouldn’t diverge excessively from the UK.  With a Tory government in place and a Tory-lite one likely to replace it, I’m not sure how well that will go down.

Is also promising a major shift in economic policy without consulting the electorate - again, that would be a brave move. 

https://www.ft.com/content/17a1fffc-d820-49c5-a5a7-d588332dc10a

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Kate Forbes saying that Scotland shouldn’t diverge excessively from the UK.  With a Tory government in place and a Tory-lite one likely to replace it, I’m not sure how well that will go down.

Is also promising a major shift in economic policy without consulting the electorate - again, that would be a brave move. 

I believe this is called "not scaring the horses"

Was the mantra in 2014

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Ash Regan who spent all of last week calling for Peter Murrell to resign now wants people to be able to change their votes because Peter Murrell has resigned.  What a fucking chancer. 

Given the chance to edit rather than stop the whole process

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Why would you want to stop the whole process? And, why would anybody want to change their vote just because Murrell has resigned? There is no logic to any of that.

What if Lorna Finn resigns next week? Do we start the whole process again, again? This could go on forever. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I believe this is called "not scaring the horses"

Was the mantra in 2014

Is not more like "stating the bleedin' obvious".

How can a Scottish Government, with such limited powers, possibly diverge excessively form the UK, when Westminster has almost total control over our finances? It just can't happen even if anybody wanted it to.

Just now, Orraloon said:

Is not more like "stating the bleedin' obvious".

How can a Scottish Government, with such limited powers, possibly diverge excessively form the UK, when Westminster has almost total control over our finances? It just can't happen even if anybody wanted it to.

What is implicit though is that she’s likely to converge.

Anyway, if she gets in, people can’t say they weren’t warned. 

This is the story regarding the membership numbers.   SNP HQ had a specific enquiry asking if the membership had dropped because of the GRR bill passing.  

That enabled them to deny it on the basis that while membership numbers had dropped off, you couldn’t actually tell what had caused it as there was no data on why people had left.   That’s a point that Mike Russell re-emphasised on the Sunday Show yesterday.

They were obviously being too clever for their own good as when the numbers were released it looked like they were lying in reality they were being clever with the truth.

Very stupid.

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

First of all, we’d need to know just what the allegations are.  

Let the blood-letting continue!  I really hope this Smitty character is the real deal.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:47 AM, TDYER63 said:

It is going to be a MASSIVE  setback, not one step. If the things this Smitty character is saying are true .

If of course all these accusations are true. 

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

So how do you suggest independence moves forward without the SNP , or an SNP potentially caught up in a web of lies ? 

I am referring to the accusations from this Smitty person. Of course they could be a load of bollox,  as I have already said more than once, but lets be honest its not a good look to be lying about something as straightforward as membership numbers and being so defensive about releasing them. 
I am absolutely not one for conspiracy theories and have largely dismissed the suspicions around the ‘missing’ £600k and £100k loan , but something is not sitting right with me in all of this. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Let the blood-letting continue!  I really hope this Smitty character is the real deal.

I am referring to the accusations from this Smitty person. Of course they could be a load of bollox,  as I have already said more than once, but lets be honest its not a good look to be lying about something as straightforward as membership numbers and being so defensive about releasing them. 
I am absolutely not one for conspiracy theories and have largely dismissed the suspicions around the ‘missing’ £600k and £100k loan , but something is not sitting right with me in all of this. 

Most of us haven't got a clue who this "Smitty person" is. Can you enlighten us on what he is specifically claiming?

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Seems reasonable.
Stepping back, if this leadership election was a football match, I wouldn't object to it being abandoned and replayed the following Saturday with different officials.