SNP leadership election - Page 43 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Do you think it will be easier to persuade Tories and NO voters to change their minds about independence if the SNP chose a leader that they don't like?

Tories are the biggest fundamentalists out there when it comes to independence, even more so than the SNP.  The good news is there’s only about 22-23% of them.  Do you really think they can be convinced to vote Yes?  The pond to fish in is Labour and the Lib Dems. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Tories are the biggest fundamentalists out there when it comes to independence, even more so than the SNP.  The good news is there’s only about 22-23% of them.  Do you really think they can be convinced to vote Yes?  The pond to fish in is Labour and the Lib Dems. 

60% of Protestants voted No in 2014

Can't see Humza winning any of them over

Kate Forbes will particularly now her faith has been booted around like a beach ball IMO

Edited by Ally Bongo

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Source?

The results of Lord Ashcroft’s Referendum exit poll  suggest that there is something of a relationship between religious affiliation and referendum voting patterns. 57% of Catholics voted YES while only 30.9% of Protestants voted likewise. The majority of Catholics, non-Christians, and those professing no religion all supported Scottish Independence. It was only the votes of the majority of Protestants which saved the union. Here the sense of Britishness is considerably higher than in other sections of the population, so once more this suggests that there are multiple factors at work.

40 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The results of Lord Ashcroft’s Referendum exit poll  suggest that there is something of a relationship between religious affiliation and referendum voting patterns. 57% of Catholics voted YES while only 30.9% of Protestants voted likewise. The majority of Catholics, non-Christians, and those professing no religion all supported Scottish Independence. It was only the votes of the majority of Protestants which saved the union. Here the sense of Britishness is considerably higher than in other sections of the population, so once more this suggests that there are multiple factors at work.

Go look at the data more closely.  The Protestants polled were in the main older people.  80% were older than 45 and we all know that it is age and not religion that is the determining factor.

Which particular blogger is spewing this nonsense?

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Kate Forbes more popular with Tory voters than SNP ones.  48% vs 32%.

On the "To what extent, if at all, do you think each of the following would do a good job or bad job as First Minister of Scotland?" question (Net: Good - Bad, discounting DK, PNTS and those who don't know who the person is):

• Forbes +6 (Con +12, Lab -13, LDm +8, SNP +20)
  • Yousaf -8 (Con -71, Lab -34, LDm -22, SNP +30)
  • Regan -18 (Con -54, Lab -29, LDm -54, SNP +7)
  • Sarwar +7 (Con +17, Lab +59, LDm +13, SNP +2)
  • Ross -37 (Con +55, Lab -34, LDm -34, SNP -79)

Party shown is for 2021 constituency vote.

Forbes' popularity seems to be fairly even across the board and she's the best of the leadership candidates on standing up for Scotland's interests against the UK Government and advancing independence (among the general public). Yousaf only appears to appeal to the core SNP vote.

A lot of backtracking from Kete Forbes there on her comments in the last debate re mediocrity.  Seems to be a bit of theme going on here.  Make some ill-advised comments and then attempt to walk them back.   I wonder who is advising her and whether she is listening to them.  

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

A lot of backtracking from Kete Forbes there on her comments in the last debate re mediocrity.  Seems to be a bit of theme going on here.  Make some ill-advised comments and then attempt to walk them back.   I wonder who is advising her and whether she is listening to them.  

You’ve really got it in for her! 😂

Have you decided who to vote for yet? 

2 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I’ve decided that I’m certainly not voting for Ash Regan because she’s an absolute maniac.

On the other two I’m still not sure.  I will probably have to hold my nose. 

4 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I think the whole TV format was ill-advised as they were, to a lesser or greater extent, going to be critical of one another. I'd have liked to have seen them concentrating more on what they had in common. If a lot of non SNP/Indy folk are going to watch they need to ram home how toxic it is being part of the UK, the history of lies by both Labour and Tories, the democratic deficit etc. etc 

37 minutes ago, aaid said:

Which particular blogger is spewing this nonsense?

Nobody that i know of - just remember reading about the No voter demographics a while back which is why i said 60% and not nearer 70% which it was

Forbes will be one less card for the Unionists to use when they bring out the the sectarianism decks

That's all i was inferring

Refusing to watch anymore of the debates

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nobody that i know of - just remember reading about the No voter demographics a while back which is why i said 60% and not nearer 70% which it was

Forbes will be one less card for the Unionists to use when they bring out the the sectarianism decks

That's all i was inferring

Refusing to watch anymore of the debates

Did you write that piece in italics or was it someone else?

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Did you write that piece in italics or was it someone else?

It was The Open University

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/people-politics-law/the-2014-scottish-independence-referendum-uneven-and-unequal-political-geographies

37 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’ve decided that I’m certainly not voting for Ash Regan because she’s an absolute maniac.

On the other two I’m still not sure.  I will probably have to hold my nose. 

Not having a go, but that's nonsense, isn't it? 😁 Whenever you post about any of the candidates it's to rubbish something Regan has said or ridicule Forbes. Always. There's nothing particularly wrong with voting for Humza, but please just be open about it. Own your decisions, as the young people say.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That is seriously concerning for an academic publication as some of the conclusions it draws are flawed.  It is a prime example of correlation does not equal causation.  They are drawing assumptions from an unrepresentative data sample.  The article completely ignores the impact of age, which the referendum showed and which every poll since has replicated.  The split I mentioned is critical because it is in that 45-54 age group that the Yes/No becomes a No/Yes.  Even if you split at 55-64, it’s 60% and for 65+ it’s  37%, so it’s a very biased sample.   In fact for the age group of 65+ 77% were Protestants as opposed to 38% for the whole survey.

I’m not suggesting that the survey data is unrepresentative, rather that you cannot draw the conclusions around religion from it that the author has.

If I was to hazard a guess, I’d bet that it was written by someone with strong opinions on sectarianism that has let that cloud their judgement.  

7 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Not having a go, but that's nonsense, isn't it? 😁 Whenever you post about any of the candidates it's to rubbish something Regan has said or ridicule Forbes. Always. There's nothing particularly wrong with voting for Humza, but please just be open about it. Own your decisions, as the young people say.

I think Regan is a maniac, have done for a long time.  I’m looking for reasons to vote for Forbes and reasons to vote for Yousaf.  Over the course of this campaign, Forbes has gone right down in my estimation and I have serious concerns about her, Yousaf has just about stayed put - I still think the same way about him that I did at the start of the campaign.  I don’t think he has done anything particularly badly so far, just hasn’t done enough to convince me about him either.

No-one on here is talking about Yousaf other than saying that they think he’s useless.

In fact it’s a bit of a Kate Forbes love-in at times on here.

People shouldn’t draw the conclusion that because someone criticises one candidate they automatically support one of the others.  

Whichever one I vote for, it will not be something I will be doing enthusiastically.

16 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Missed the debate tonight, seems like it was a lot quieter than the last one? 

All three said that Nicola Sturgeon was a better FM than Alex Salmond. 

I do wonder if the unionists are testing the names to see who they’d prefer for the next leader for them to detest in their favoured term: 

I hate … 

That Alex Salmond

That Nicola Sturegeon 

That Humza Yousef

That Kate Forbes

That Ash Regan 

Who has the right ring to it for when we hear folk moaning on bbc/stv news?  

Edited by AlfieMoon