SNP leadership election - Page 29 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Mixed race marriage was illegal in certain US states until 1967.

Might be worth asking her whether or not she thinks an adherent of her church should be able to marry a Roman Catholic in her church.

I know it was, I said it was never illegal in this country, i.e. Scotland.

I'm slightly surprised no one has asked her that one yet - maybe they're saving it for later. If she is asked she'd be well advised not to answer. In fact, if I was advising her I'd be suggesting as strongly as possible that she gives the Holy Wullieina stuff a by from now on! 😂 

Edited by scotlad

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Think this thread is a microcosm of what is going to happen to the SNP at least and maybe the wider independence movement in general.

I was about to post the same, but using 2000 words , thanks for saving me the bother. 

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I know it was, I said it was never illegal in this country, i.e. Scotland.

I'm slightly surprised no one has asked her that one yet - maybe they're saving it for later. If she is asked she'd be well advised not to answer. In fact, if I was advising her I'd be suggesting as strongly as possible that she gives the Holy Wullieina stuff a by from now on! 😂 

The USA is a great example of why you shouldn’t let Christian fundamentalists - or any religious fundamentalists for that matter - get close to the levers of power. 

7 minutes ago, phart said:

Think this thread is a microcosm of what is going to happen to the SNP at least and maybe the wider independence movement in general.

Divide and rule as they say. Quite impressive how they’ve managed to do it first on GRR and now religion. 

The sad thing is… I support Forbes as I think she is the most capable person. I can say that whilst not having any real strength of opinion against Humzah or Ash. Yes, I can pick at flaws of all 3 but ultimately I would get behind whoever gets the hot seat for better or worse and give them a fair crack at the whip. 

What you have in contrast to that, is a very noisy portion of people who are operating only in 100% absolutes. Will everyone who has spoken out against Forbes get behind her if she is the democratic choice? Of course they won’t. Because everyone wants their own way. 

3 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Divide and rule as they say. Quite impressive how they’ve managed to do it first on GRR and now religion. 

The sad thing is… I support Forbes as I think she is the most capable person. I can say that whilst not having any real strength of opinion against Humzah or Ash. Yes, I can pick at flaws of all 3 but ultimately I would get behind whoever gets the hot seat for better or worse and give them a fair crack at the whip. 

What you have in contrast to that, is a very noisy portion of people who are operating only in 100% absolutes. Will everyone who has spoken out against Forbes get behind her if she is the democratic choice? Of course they won’t. Because everyone wants their own way. 

👏

If Humza wins I will grin and bear it in the hope I am completely wrong about him, the last thing he will need is folk on his own side attacking him from the outset . 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I was about to post the same, but using 2000 words , thanks for saving me the bother. 

When I think back to the last SNP leadership election, this one seems very tame, and civilised, in comparison. Of course back then it didn't get nearly as much media coverage (and social media hadn't been invented) partly because the SNP were still seen as a fringe party and we weren't electing a First Minister. Well, as it turned out, we were, but nobody suspected that at the time. Not even Alex Salmond suspected that was going to happen. It sometimes surprises me how much things have changed in a couple of decades. 

18 minutes ago, aaid said:

The USA is a great example of why you shouldn’t let Christian fundamentalists - or any religious fundamentalists for that matter - get close to the levers of power. 

Aye cos that's the exact same of Kate Forbes becoming leader of the SNP and First Minister

Fuck Sake - Hyperbole to the max

Do you really want me to explain why that analogy is fucking mental ?

I'm sure you already know being a clever chap

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye cos that's the exact same of Kate Forbes becoming leader of the SNP and First Minister

Fuck Sake - Hyperbole to the max

Do you really want me to explain why that analogy is fucking mental ?

I'm sure you already know being a clever chap

You don’t believe that Kate Forbes is a Christian Fundamentalist?

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

👏

If Humza wins I will grin and bear it in the hope I am completely wrong about him, the last thing he will need is folk on his own side attacking him from the outset . 

That's not really the point though

The point is that if Humza wins there is absolutely no point in being a member of the SNP or voting for them

Independence is set back the rest of my lifetime 

I am discounting Ash Regan and the SNP might be in the same position if Forbes wins but she will have a better chance of appealling to more voters than Yousaf, with the exception of the woo woos

The SNP might be fucked regardless

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

You don’t believe that Kate Forbes is a Christian Fundamentalist?

In a party where the views of her faith amount to probably 2% of the membership & elected officials

Unless you think her winning is going to see a large influx of new SNP recruits to the Wee Free's

FFS

Edited by Ally Bongo

The point is that if Humza wins there is absolutely no point in being a member of the SNP or voting for them

I am discounting Ash Regan and the SNP might be in the same position if Forbes wins but she will have a better chance of appealling to more voters than Yousaf, with the exception of the woo woos

If Humza turned out to be as bad as you seem to think, then he won't last very long. Maybe Nicola will make a comeback after she's done her porridge?

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If Humza turned out to be as bad as you seem to think, then he won't last very long. Maybe Nicola will make a comeback after she's done her porridge?

Absolutely no chance

The SNP is the main vehicle for Independence

There is a chance of a massive setback for the SNP on the horizon that might take them a while to recover from

Independence doesnt have that time

The way i see it is that the SNP need to shift the dial on the constitutional debate that had stalled under Sturgeon

If you think Humza Yousaf is going to attract new voters and thereby take Indepencence forward then maybe it's me that's wrong

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Absolutely no chance

The SNP is the main vehicle for Independence

There is a chance of a massive setback for the SNP on the horizon that might take them a while to recover from

Independence doesnt have that time

The way i see it is that the SNP need to shift the dial on the constitutional debate that had stalled under Sturgeon

If you think Humza Yousaf is going to attract new voters and thereby take Indepencence forward then maybe it's me that's wrong

I think you could do with a wee lie doon as well. 

Certainly the sooner the better for independence, but there will be bumps in the road before we get there.

The concept that there’s a time bound deadline that the world will end if we don’t get Indy is a bit of a narrow construct of Indy supporters who are desperate for the event. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

32 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Well until its officially dead in the water I for one am not about to give up. I only have one vote and there is no guarantee its going my way. Sometimes you need to stick with things in life even when you think the games a bogey. Who other than the SNP will be big enough to drive independence ? 

The SNP would never be where they are now if older members had thought it was never coming . Knocking on doors for years with everyone laughing at them must have been soul destroying. 

I am voting for Forbes too for the same reason as you, but if its not her I will at least give the other person a chance. 

33 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Much as I will try to support him if he wins,  I can see him being hounded out very quickly .  

9 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Kate Forbes is a wee Tory in disguise,

How many Tories do you know that worked for Oxfam focusing on poverty and inequality ?

How many Tories do you know that worked for Oxfam focusing on poverty and inequality ?

So what? There are plenty of bad people who do "charity work" for the social credit it gives them. Did you see all the work for charity Jimmy saville did?

What an utterly stupid point. Forbes is a tory

5 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

What an utterly stupid point.

Aye ok

Even the Tories dont think she is a Tory but what the fuck do i know

https://conservativehome.com/2023/02/21/can-such-a-conservative-as-kate-forbes-lead-the-snp/

Edited by Ally Bongo

8 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye ok

Even the Tories dont think she is a Tory but what the fuck do i know

https://conservativehome.com/2023/02/21/can-such-a-conservative-as-kate-forbes-lead-the-snp/

If that article is good enough for you then have it. On policy the difference between her and Tories on both social and economic issues is paper thin. She's also a careerist with a passing interest in independence. If that's good enough for you, so be it

1 minute ago, Freeedom said:

If that article is good enough for you then have it. On policy the difference between her and Tories on both social and economic issues is paper thin. She's also a careerist with a passing interest in independence. If that's good enough for you, so be it

Be interesting to see what labels you have for Regan