Abhorrent Banned Songs - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Abhorrent Banned Songs

2 minutes ago, Debian said:

What game(s) has there been sectarian singing at this season?

Apart from NPOR and TBB at the Old Firm Game - which hushed out quick, there's none to my recollection.  

Yeah, but APART from that, did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Yeah, but APART from that, did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?

I'm calling it out. But I'm asking when else it has been heard?

The ibrox songbook has been cleaned up massively.  We all know away games are polluted by it and it only seems to get worse.  

44 minutes ago, Debian said:

Apart from NPOR and TBB at the Old Firm Game - which hushed out quick, there's none to my recollection.  

There was a lot of people uo to their knees in fenian blood last Sunday at hampden and it certainly wasn’t a minority either. 

41 minutes ago, Debian said:

No idea as I watch my own team every weekend.

I will take careful note on the weekend on 11/12 February, however.

You still following Stranraer?

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No idea as I watch my own team every weekend.

I will take careful note on the weekend on 11/12 February, however.

You still following Stranraer?

I was at Bayview yesterday aye, and then made it to McDiarmind at the 20 minute mark 👍

Edited by Debian

19 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Good on you supporting the game like that.

Well done.

East Fife pies are top notch, give them a go if you've the chance.  

Also, in terms of scran, the best hospitality in Scottish Football is at Stirling Albion.  

43 minutes ago, Debian said:

Again.  Not a home game, and doesn't surprise me.  

Agreed, but also not the 3-4K that are at  away games and disgrace the club. 

This was 15-20k people singing it who most likely are season ticket holders to get tickets for a semi final. 

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Agreed, but also not the 3-4K that are at  away games and disgrace the club. 

This was 15-20k people singing it who most likely are season ticket holders to get tickets for a semi final. 

There was 7k last night too.  I'm not condoning it, and it's up to the authorities to find a solution as fans only do so much.  

My guess is that when at home there's some weird fear sets in based on the issues encountered from European nights, with fines and the likes.

My earlier point is, if clubs were serious about it, then other SPFL teams could say they're not allowed in until they change or punishments are in place.

The problem is they won't.

Edited by Debian

8 hours ago, Debian said:

My earlier point is, if clubs were serious about it, then other SPFL teams could say they're not allowed in until they change or punishments are in place.

The problem is they won't.

I would back this 100%, fuck the money, but as you say, it won’t happen. 

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I would back this 100%, fuck the money, but as you say, it won’t happen. 

It won't happen.  Money talks.  I think the Rangers and Celtic boards have tried to get them to cut out the sectarian songs and chants.  with  And I think to a certain degree the home fans have.  Seems to be the young teams from both at away games to think it is a free for all.  But like St Johnstone they will take the needed money in.  It's ok for us to all agree with what you said about fuck the money.  Clubs are desperate for money to pay the bills, the staff and basically keep the lights on.  It's a dilemma I am glad I am not in.

Part of the problem in Scottish Football is there is disagreement with what constitutes an unacceptable song. 

The police have powers to deal with sectarian singing etc but it needs to be in the public interest to do so and also needs to be weighed up against the dangers of ploughing into arrest / the cost of dealing with it after the game by knocking on doors etc. Part of this consideration is the likely court outcome which for something like just singing a sectarian song would be a fine. 

For anything to change it would have to come from the powers that be in Scottish football. Ie from the clubs themselves or the SFA. It would be easy to implement. Just list known songs and communicate these to fans. Then also have the compliance officer consider other songs that are sung thereafter. If deemed unacceptable then add to to the list and communicate.

For any instances where it can be shown that a clubs fans are singing these banned songs then they get escalating fines that progress to stand and stadium closures. 

This should equally apply to banned items such as flares etc.

No need for the police to get involved. Let them concentrate on the worst offending and keeping people safe.

13 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Part of the problem in Scottish Football is there is disagreement with what constitutes an unacceptable song. 

The police have powers to deal with sectarian singing etc but it needs to be in the public interest to do so and also needs to be weighed up against the dangers of ploughing into arrest / the cost of dealing with it after the game by knocking on doors etc. Part of this consideration is the likely court outcome which for something like just singing a sectarian song would be a fine. 

For anything to change it would have to come from the powers that be in Scottish football. Ie from the clubs themselves or the SFA. It would be easy to implement. Just list known songs and communicate these to fans. Then also have the compliance officer consider other songs that are sung thereafter. If deemed unacceptable then add to to the list and communicate.

For any instances where it can be shown that a clubs fans are singing these banned songs then they get escalating fines that progress to stand and stadium closures. 

This should equally apply to banned items such as flares etc.

No need for the police to get involved. Let them concentrate on the worst offending and keeping people safe.

Don't agree.  Why should the clubs be fined for the behaviour of some scum fans?  The lady from Liverpool wants clubs who some supporters of the want the clubs to be deducted points and fined.  I get her anger at that but don't think the clubs like Everton and Man Utd should be fined for that.  Same up here.  Flares is a different problem.  Surely the police should be responsible for that.

8 minutes ago, SamP said:

Don't agree.  Why should the clubs be fined for the behaviour of some scum fans?  The lady from Liverpool wants clubs who some supporters of the want the clubs to be deducted points and fined.  I get her anger at that but don't think the clubs like Everton and Man Utd should be fined for that.  Same up here.  Flares is a different problem.  Surely the police should be responsible for that.

Because it is the clubs who benefit from said fans and therefore are partially responsible for their actions. Not all unacceptable behaviour is criminal so not everything is a police matter.

Clubs are responsible for upholding the image of the game in this country. To making their stadiums a welcoming place for everybody regardless of sex, race, faith or anything else.

The clubs accept ticket sale money. With that comes a contract between club and fan that certain behaviours wont be tolerated. If clubs dont then enforce this then they should be fined.

In the same way that a pub would get fined for noise complaints. Its up to an establishment to control the behaviour of its customers.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Because it is the clubs who benefit from said fans and therefore are partially responsible for their actions. Not all unacceptable behaviour is criminal so not everything is a police matter.

Clubs are responsible for upholding the image of the game in this country. To making their stadiums a welcoming place for everybody regardless of sex, race, faith or anything else.

The clubs accept ticket sale money. With that comes a contract between club and fan that certain behaviours wont be tolerated. If clubs dont then enforce this then they should be fined.

In the same way that a pub would get fined for noise complaints. Its up to an establishment to control the behaviour of its customers.

The use of flares in a public place is a criminal offence.  But happens all over football stadiums the world over.

At risk of setting the cat amongst the pigeons, it amazes me to think that so many grown adults can sit awake at night or have their entire day ruined over certain lyrics of songs not intended to be taken seriously in the context of today.

In my mind cases where there are wider societal movements for inclusivity e.g race, gender, homophobia, which rightly stamp down on such discrimination - these are a far cry different from the examples quoted in this topic.

Let's not forget we have long escaped the days where there is a genuine risk of coming into physical harm when attending a football game. That should be the priority over this he said she said crap.

7 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

At risk of setting the cat amongst the pigeons, it amazes me to think that so many grown adults can sit awake at night or have their entire day ruined over certain lyrics of songs not intended to be taken seriously in the context of today.

In my mind cases where there are wider societal movements for inclusivity e.g race, gender, homophobia, which rightly stamp down on such discrimination - these are a far cry different from the examples quoted in this topic.

Let's not forget we have long escaped the days where there is a genuine risk of coming into physical harm when attending a football game. That should be the priority over this he said she said crap.

Totally agree.  Let them sing what they want.  I doesn't affect you or I.  It all goes over my head as well.  Just the singing about dead people and disasters that's what gets to me pal.

58 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Who do you know who stays awake at night or is having their entire day ruined because of the lyrics of a song?

Just because someone highlights bigotry does not mean they 'sit awake at night or have their entire day ruined over certain lyrics of songs'

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

The prevalence of these songs among a majority of arseholes at a football match legitimises the shitey sentiments expressed by these inbred mutants. Sadly, at a school in Kilmarnock, the majority of my son's classmates support Rangers. That club and issues around it and events that take place there are brought back to the playground and normalised among kids my son's age. I want the songs and the hatred expressed in them to get so far to fuck. It doesn't keep me up at night but I do feel strongly about it. 
I do have other things that keep me awake at night, though. My head is sometimes not a happy place. 🙂

I wonder what some of the offending teams players or management think about these songs, I believe Steve Gerrard was a catholic so he must have been annoyed/upset about some of the more unsavoury lyrics spouted week in week out by his teams supporters or maybe he had selective deafness.