Movies 2023 - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/5/2023 at 12:22 PM, TDYER63 said:

Plan on going to see that thanks for the reminder. It was a toss up between that and Barbie 😁

Meh, think I would have actually preferred Barbie to Oppenheimer . 

I rated it a bit higher than my husband’s  ‘ load of overrated shite’ critique but I do think it’s overrated and about an hour too long. Probably my fault for not reading enough about it before going to see it but I felt the investigation just  dragged on to the point I wish the bomb had blown me up. 

The only thing that got me through it was a reclining comfy chair, Cillian Murphy and a family size bag of skittles.

The acting was very good though and at times the suspense was excellent . 

Oppenheimer is a bit too long - it's almost two films in one, the first bit being about the development of the A-bomb and the second part being about the McCarthyist demonisation of Oppenheimer and the witch hunt against him.  I think a large proportion of the population won't particularly enjoy it, but the acting is excellent and it's worth sticking with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 4:29 AM, Alibi said:

Oppenheimer is a bit too long - it's almost two films in one, the first bit being about the development of the A-bomb and the second part being about the McCarthyist demonisation of Oppenheimer and the witch hunt against him.  I think a large proportion of the population won't particularly enjoy it, but the acting is excellent and it's worth sticking with it.

agree

thought the shaggin scenes were bit out of context too

- just watched "living" starring bill nighy last night - seemingly a remake of a Japanese original 

decent I thought - but again ; rave reviews everywhere

I do tend to get a bit too obsessed about historical detail/.accuracy etc on stuff though - like the livery of the trains etc -drives the wife mental ,,,,, and the fact they left waterloo crossed the thames to face county hall ; err no 

On 8/14/2023 at 11:29 AM, Alibi said:

Yes, I thought once they'd bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki that kind of deserved to be the end of it.

I am not interested in 50s/60s American politics so the rest seemed laboured. 

Interesting they had two quite different types of bomb to test - Little Boy and Fat Man. They didn't exactly give much time to surrender after the first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima but I guess they were itching to test the second one.

Meanwhile the Soviets declared war on Japan and poured a million troops into Japanese occupied territory. The game was surely up. Arguably the bombing of Nagasaki, if not Hiroshima, was a war crime. 

3 hours ago, exile said:

Meanwhile the Soviets declared war on Japan and poured a million troops into Japanese occupied territory. The game was surely up. Arguably the bombing of Nagasaki, if not Hiroshima, was a war crime. 

It's a long standing argument which is viewed very differently from the World of 1945 to the World today and i'm sure we have had it on here before.

All arguments for and against are probably all valid

IMO gaining the upper hand against Russia by showing them the power they had was relevant and an add on, but it wasn't the primary reason   

The original Death Race 2000 (1975) is being shown on Talking Pictures TV tonight at 10.05pm

Surprisingly it is a film i have never watched but can remember the chat about it as a wee boy

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 9:54 PM, exile said:

Yes, I thought once they'd bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki that kind of deserved to be the end of it.

I am not interested in 50s/60s American politics so the rest seemed laboured. 

Interesting they had two quite different types of bomb to test - Little Boy and Fat Man. They didn't exactly give much time to surrender after the first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima but I guess they were itching to test the second one.

The Japanese council of war  tied 3-3 on surrender vote ; they seemed happy to carry on until they were all wiped out ; or incur huge US invasion losses

there was even an failed coup on the night of surrender where they tried to get at the emperor 

just watched "Maggie Moore(s)" on flight (so happy was actually decent IMO) - just checked out reviews on imdb & rotten tomatoes -  seems to be a love it or hate it review .... very Coen brothers like

followed that by "No sudden move" although a v strong cast - id never heard of it - Don Cheadle/Benicio Del Toro/Kieran Caulkin etc - felt that was over complicated boring p1sh tbh

On 9/4/2023 at 5:42 PM, Ally Bongo said:

The original Death Race 2000 (1975) is being shown on Talking Pictures TV tonight at 10.05pm

Surprisingly it is a film i have never watched but can remember the chat about it as a wee boy

Good shout 👍, chucked it on my box and watched it last night (last time I saw it was on a dodgy Betamax copy probably 40 years ago) 

• 1 month later...

Was going to bed and saw there was a film on one of the free movie channels called The Exception

Recorded it and have to say it was enjoyable

Mixes facts with fiction and is about the later years of Kaiser WIlhelm whilst he is in exile in Holland and The Nazis have conquered Western Europe

In his entourage is a Jewish maid who is also a British Agent

The Nazis suspect that there is a spy within and send an officer to take command of the Kaiser's security

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Was going to bed and saw there was a film on one of the free movie channels called The Exception

Recorded it and have to say it was enjoyable

Mixes facts with fiction and is about the later years of Kaiser WIlhelm whilst he is in exile in Holland and The Nazis have conquered Western Europe

In his entourage is a Jewish maid who is also a British Agent

The Nazis suspect that there is a spy within and send an officer to take command of the Kaiser's security

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agreed & relatable

Very, woke up the next morning (after the referendum) and started crying without even realising it. Bizarre as Iv got fuck all interest in politics, it was the first and only time in my life Iv ever voted. Think watching that film might just make me angry and sad 😔 

To See Ourselves was only aired in full (1 hour?) once on YouTube.   I think Jane is now hoping a broadcaster will pick it up, but she also mentioned editing on an even longer, serialised version.

It did start slow and grim for me, but I got into it.