Indyref 2 (2) - Page 225 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

So this increased contribution has ramped up since just after the 2014 IndyRef and goes totally against the grovelling and pleading pledges made on the eve of the referendum of financial incentives if a No vote was returned.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So this increased contribution has ramped up since just after the 2014 IndyRef and goes totally against the grovelling and pleading pledges made on the eve of the referendum of financial incentives if a No vote was returned.

A switched on indy party would be on this like a shot.  We'll probably just get some tepid irrelevance like which colour of lanyards they are wearing, to distract everyone from this report.  Seems to be strong ammunition for the independence cause.  i'm sure BBC Scotland will be all over it with blanket coverage  for days on end.  But campervans...

2 minutes ago, Alibi said:

A switched on indy party would be on this like a shot.  We'll probably just get some tepid irrelevance like which colour of lanyards they are wearing, to distract everyone from this report.  Seems to be strong ammunition for the independence cause.  i'm sure BBC Scotland will be all over it with blanket coverage  for days on end.  But campervans...

Aye, noticed that last night. Lanyards???? Lanyards, FFS. How the fuck is that news? 

16 hours ago, kumnio said:

Fuck me, thats one of the worst takes on anything, in the entire history of the internet. Thats post of the year material.

Would seem Malcolm now holds the top 2 posts. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

No doubt that Britain was in a far better place when she left office than when she came in.

Why is the SNP not demanding a complete review of broadcasting and the clear partisan strategy ?

image.thumb.jpeg.61f307e2ff2d6f414ae808edcb80e46f.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

imho of course!  Don’t expect much agreement from the lefties here

🙂 one doesn’t need to be a leftie to disagree with Thatcher, or you! 😏

News Headline’s everywhere about the staggeringly high student debt. Of course its all bundled under ‘ UK student debt’ . Dont expect any article to tell you the average student debt is 3 times higher in England than Scotland .

IMG_9504.jpeg.f3a4aea14e9f9ec1690ae94fe2e4a472.jpeg

Humza is as well as gone,, Angus MacNeil confirmed(on social media) what I had been told a few months back that posturing is already underway to replace him,, he would be as well as fine IMHO, there is zero point stringing this out.. some of the 30 MPs set to lose their seats would have a fighting chance with a competent leader willing to ditch the hate speech,GRR, and all the other shit policies 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Humza is as well as gone,, Angus MacNeil confirmed(on social media) what I had been told a few months back that posturing is already underway to replace him,, he would be as well as fine IMHO, there is zero point stringing this out.. some of the 30 MPs set to lose their seats would have a fighting chance with a competent leader willing to ditch the hate speech,GRR, and all the other shit policies 

Doubt it'll be soon enough.  If and its a bloody big if, they ditch these insane policies they might survive. Otherwise they're kaput.

11 minutes ago, mariokempes said:

Doubt it'll be soon enough.

Correct

Firstly - McNeil's tweet gives a link to an article by The Times which going on previous form makes it highly dubious

Secondly - It says it will be after the GE (when it's too late)

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Correct

Firstly - McNeil's tweet gives a link to an article by The Times which going on previous form makes it highly dubious

Secondly - It says it will be after the GE (when it's too late)

I'm presuming the thinking is that the SNP will do badly in the GE because of low voter turnout out/apathy. I really cannot see any logic in Indy supporters voting for a Unionist Party as it will be taken as  wanting to remain part of the UK.  It's not like any SNP manifesto is going to become law. So, if you want a protest vote, surely the time to do that is at a Holyrood election?

On 3/20/2024 at 2:34 PM, TDYER63 said:

On your first point, this ‘career politician’ thing sticks in ma craw a bit. What exactly is wrong with choosing politics as a career? ( i know you are not suggesting there is,  just that others might) . 

In the interview I posted he talks about there being an expectation from his parents that he would follow the typical lawyer/ accountant/ or other professions usually associated with ‘persons of colour’ , but he loved politics and had a real passion for it so took that at University. His parents ( his mum in particular ) was unhappy due to the racism he may face. He wasnt having a ‘poor me’ moan,  was just being honest. 

I have absolutely no problem with people who have a passion for politics not having any experience outwith politics. No one would expect a teacher right out of university to have had experience as a nurse or a policeman to have been a social worker. All careers are basically learned ‘on the job’ . And he has had some big jobs within government before FM, regardless of how anyone feels he performed . 
There are of course politicians who do give the term ‘ career politician’  valid criticism , but I don’t think he is one of them.

True, but teachers, nurses and polismen aren't devising policies that affect other people's lives. Those are the kind of backgrounds that I think are advantageous in politics, because you'll develop an understanding of different people, how they lives their lives and the struggles they have. The flip side, though, is perhaps you'd lack a grounding in economics or foreign affairs, which play a big part in politics (unless you're a maths/foreign languages teacher 🙂).

A disadvantage of being a career-politician, I suppose, is that most of what you know is kind of theory-based. You might have a backstory of your own but you'd find yourself working in quite an artificial environment. That is perhaps why we're seeing noodle-doodle policies like the Hate Crime Bill being rolled out.

We're in an age now though where people can earn living walking dugs and making YouTube videos, so it's getting harder to really pinpoint what constitutes a "proper" job!

More awful optics today by Humza

It's as if he wants the SNP vote to dwindle

On 3/27/2024 at 12:57 AM, scotlad said:

True, but teachers, nurses and polismen aren't devising policies that affect other people's lives. Those are the kind of backgrounds that I think are advantageous in politics, because you'll develop an understanding of different people, how they lives their lives and the struggles they have. The flip side, though, is perhaps you'd lack a grounding in economics or foreign affairs, which play a big part in politics (unless you're a maths/foreign languages teacher 🙂).

A disadvantage of being a career-politician, I suppose, is that most of what you know is kind of theory-based. You might have a backstory of your own but you'd find yourself working in quite an artificial environment. That is perhaps why we're seeing noodle-doodle policies like the Hate Crime Bill being rolled out.

We're in an age now though where people can earn living walking dugs and making YouTube videos, so it's getting harder to really pinpoint what constitutes a "proper" job!

How should people become politicians? This is a genuine question I am not being narky. Should there be a ‘path’ to follow?

Most politicians dont just appear as a cabinet ministers ( its at this level the big decisions are made) from nowhere so they should have some general political experience before they make the bigger decisions. Are we saying that isnt good enough and to get a cabinet position they need to have had some sort of experience at a lower level within that area and demonstrated competency to a high level ? Or have worked at a high level within the NHS before  becoming a politician and taking on a position in health for example? Or be a teacher before getting education? 
And  as far as becoming an MP/MSP in the first place , do they need to have been for example a councillor for so many years and obtained some sort of qualification  ? 

I don’t think politicians are any different to any other job in as much as there will always be shirkers and those who are not up to the job. You get shite call centre workers/ builders/ mechanics/ etc etc. All these people the public are paying money to in some way or other, its not just politicians. You are always going to get some that are only there for a wage. 

On 3/27/2024 at 12:57 AM, scotlad said:

I'm sympathetic but then I remind myself that Lee Anderson was a coalminer and Jonathan Gullus a school teacher 

4 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Anything in particular?

If you go on twatter you will see that Kate Forbes is trending

Click on it

15 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Not all of us are on Twatter.

https://twitter.com/search?q=kate forbes&src=typeahead_click

Muslims break their fast at sunset with the call to prayer. Today, Sheikh Rabbani performed the call to prayer in Bute House with friends from across different faith communities. Quite possibly the first time the Islamic call to prayer has been performed in Bute House!

it is so,so bad...All the grief KF received from humzas/sturgos disciples for being a Christian, imagine if she was broadcasting religious services from bute house,,, The snp are finished if they dont get rid of humza pronto