Indyref 2 (2) - Page 220 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Tbh I wouldn’t read past the first couple of paragraphs of this. Not necessarily because I think he is talking pish ( although i suspect it) but because of the totally unnecessary personal remarks about folk. He sounds like the male equivalent of Katie Hopkins. He has the cheek to have a strap line that reads  ‘soaring above Scottish politics’ when he is spewing gutter journalism. 

I have replied and pinched your "Katie Hopkins" comparison

Will be surprised if it passes moderation

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Without commenting on the specifics, surely governments have a duty to promote good health in the population, smoking bans, minimum pricing, wearing seatbelts etc. An unhealthy population hits the economy due to days lost because of illness and also puts more strain in the NHS.

Exactly. People moan about the government telling them what to eat, then expect the government to fix them once their bodies start to pack-in because they've been filling themselves with junk for years and years, no questions asked. In those circumstances you can't really blame the government for trying to look at ways to discourage people from getting into that nick in the first place.

What I would say, though, is perhaps meal-deals aren't the worst culprit (unless we're including the infamous 'Munchie Box'!). For instance, why not focus on regulating the amount of sugar that is added to processed or pre-prepared foods? (Possibly because the SG has no control over that).

Also, compared to even twenty years ago there are a lot more places selling food that's tasty but bad for you. Takeaways and eateries are everywhere. I think down in London they were looking at limiting the number of takeaways located near schools to try and address issues with childhood obesity. I know this is "nannying" too but at least it might get to the root of the issue quicker.

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I have replied and pinched your "Katie Hopkins" comparison

Will be surprised if it passes moderation

I will be surprised if he doesn’t take that as a compliment … 

I’ll be taking no lectures from the likes of these pictures of health over whether or not my Boots meal deal and morning porridge is healthy or not

I can buy a bag of heroin and go to a nice cosy wee room and they’ll help me inject it. If they get their way I’ll not be allowed my chicken & bacon piece, packet of flame grilled beef McCoys and Lucozade original at dinner time or my porridge in the morning without getting taxed to the hilt for it

No chance of banning heroin though as that will have a detrimental effect on the family income

IMG_0384.jpeg

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

What I would say, though, is perhaps meal-deals aren't the worst culprit (unless we're including the infamous 'Munchie Box'!). For instance, why not focus on regulating the amount of sugar that is added to processed or pre-prepared foods? (Possibly because the SG has no control over that).

Also, compared to even twenty years ago there are a lot more places selling food that's tasty but bad for you. Takeaways and eateries are everywhere. I think down in London they were looking at limiting the number of takeaways located near schools to try and address issues with childhood obesity. I know this is "nannying" too but at least it might get to the root of the issue quicker.

It is complex. Taxing 'unhealthy' foods is one measure but there's other things that can be done,control of advertising etc.

I would like to see more emphasis on food in school. We had a Home Ec. teacher leave last year and it was a nightmare trying to replace her, pupils spent months without cooking. The impression that I got from others was that this wasn't a surprise and that there weren't enough Home Ec teachers being trained.

Another thing is school meals. I left a school that, I suspect, was highly unusual but shows what can be done. The meals were so good that pupils stayed in and sat down and really enjoyed them. I'll try and post a photo at some point. Where I am now, none of the choices are inspiring, lots of kids leave school at lunchtime, local businesses do well but I'm not sure it's getting young people into healthy eating habits. Add in the expectation fuelled by Deliveroo adverts that takeaways are a regular occurrence and we've got a problem.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Tbh I wouldn’t read past the first couple of paragraphs of this. Not necessarily because I think he is talking pish ( although i suspect it) but because of the totally unnecessary personal remarks about folk. He sounds like the male equivalent of Katie Hopkins. He has the cheek to have a strap line that reads  ‘soaring above Scottish politics’ when he is spewing gutter journalism. 

That's why I stopped reading his stuff, when it had quite an unpleasant jaggy edge to it all. Made me feel a bit uncomfy reading it so wouldn't do much for winning more folk over to Yes. Used to be so enlightening too.

He does go on a bit about porridge there without really checking the background. It is more of an 'added sugar' thing. Those wee sachets of porridge totally glisten in the bowl with all the sugar; I used to like them but managed to wean myself off them! 

No harm in govts acknowledging that we should eat less crap. This initiative alone might not be the best way to go about it but it's an issue with loads of contributing angles. Poverty, education, marketing, cost, location, mobility...The marketing part is terrible; stuff that's low fat but high in sugar or things like 'breakfast biscuits'. You shouldn't only be allowed to give advice if you're a skinny malinky. 

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-final-betrayal/

Not sure where to put this, but FFS.  Not content with trying to commit electoral suicide with the genderwoowoo shite, the SG are now proposing restrictions on a load of foods.  Given that most of them seem to be excessively fat, this is hypocritical in the extreme, and nutritional nonsense as well.  Do they go out of their way to damage their electoral hopes deliberately or are they just utterly thick?

An independence party should be seeking independence, not trying to turn us all into some sort of health freaks.  and porridge FFs, it's one of the healthiest breakfasts you can have.  Who thinks up this flawed shite?

I’d add that as an alleged independence party they should be focusing on independence and doing the best for the people of Scotland instead living a lavish lifestyle on the Westminster gravy train while trying to curry favour by spending weeks and weeks on end demanding a ceasefire between Israel and Palestine

Arseholes

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I’d add that as an alleged independence party they should be focusing on independence and doing the best for the people of Scotland instead living a lavish lifestyle on the Westminster gravy train while trying to curry favour by spending weeks and weeks on end demanding a ceasefire between Israel and Palestine

Arseholes

Last time i checked Scotland voted to remain part of the cesspit

Better Together

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Last time i checked Scotland voted to remain part of the cesspit

Better Together

Northern Ireland is also part of the UK but unlike the troughers from the SNP the elected members of Sin Fein have never taken their seats in parliament

As soon as the SNP get a seat in Westminster they’re down there on that gravy train living the life of luxury 

As I say arseholes

13 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

It is complex. Taxing 'unhealthy' foods is one measure but there's other things that can be done,control of advertising etc.

I would like to see more emphasis on food in school. We had a Home Ec. teacher leave last year and it was a nightmare trying to replace her, pupils spent months without cooking. The impression that I got from others was that this wasn't a surprise and that there weren't enough Home Ec teachers being trained.

Another thing is school meals. I left a school that, I suspect, was highly unusual but shows what can be done. The meals were so good that pupils stayed in and sat down and really enjoyed them. I'll try and post a photo at some point. Where I am now, none of the choices are inspiring, lots of kids leave school at lunchtime, local businesses do well but I'm not sure it's getting young people into healthy eating habits. Add in the expectation fuelled by Deliveroo adverts that takeaways are a regular occurrence and we've got a problem.

It is certainly that. Isn't obesity just behind smoking and alcohol misuse as our biggest preventable killer? Controls have been put on advertising alcohol and in the case of cigarettes banned altogether, so when you look at like that it doesn't seem unreasonable to apply similar controls to adverts for junk food.

I mind when I was at school the only things we were taught to cook were cakes and other sweet stuff. Maybe that was just to get us interested initially but l only started cooking properly when I was a young adult and had left home, and that was mainly for financial reasons! I don't want to sound like Lee Anderson but you can feed yourself fairly cheaply if you're careful and set aside a wee bit of time.

What they did do at my school was stop kids from going out at lunchtime (unless you had permission from your parents). I don't think we were allowed out no-questions-asked until fifth year. These days though you see swarms of wee fuckers, of all ages, wandering around munching all kinds of shite. I don't see why schools don't just stop them.

On 2/20/2024 at 8:40 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

the snp have an open goal to shoot into at the moment, all they need to do is return to historical snp policies of standing up for the common man/woman. come out and back the oil and gas industry, come out and back the fishermen,, that wins the north and the west.. come out and back infrastructure projects, set out a vision... come out and back a renewable energy wealth fund,, the projects are way past the point of pulling out,, its a no brainer,,, kepp the GRR at arms length... bring Forbes back in as finance secretary.. reduce the tax burden on the squeezed middle

There are some fisherman they wouldn't win over if they announced that fishing profits were completely exempt from income tax, and 100% government subsidies for new boats.  However your wider point stands.

Edited by Andy C

5 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Northern Ireland is also part of the UK but unlike the troughers from the SNP the elected members of Sin Fein have never taken their seats in parliament

As soon as the SNP get a seat in Westminster they’re down there on that gravy train living the life of luxury 

As I say arseholes

I don't think you can compare the political climate in Northern Ireland to that of Scotland - never mind how the MSM works there and here.

In Scotland we have Unionist wall to wall media coverage - not so much in Northern Ireland and you can guess why 

I would like to see the response if the London based media started smearing Sinn Fein within Northern Ireland

As much as i would like the SNP to walk out of Westminster you just know how it will be portrayed by The Unionist parties and their compliant media

19 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

That's why I stopped reading his stuff, when it had quite an unpleasant jaggy edge to it all. Made me feel a bit uncomfy reading it so wouldn't do much for winning more folk over to Yes. Used to be so enlightening too.

He does go on a bit about porridge there without really checking the background. It is more of an 'added sugar' thing. Those wee sachets of porridge totally glisten in the bowl with all the sugar; I used to like them but managed to wean myself off them! 

No harm in govts acknowledging that we should eat less crap. This initiative alone might not be the best way to go about it but it's an issue with loads of contributing angles. Poverty, education, marketing, cost, location, mobility...The marketing part is terrible; stuff that's low fat but high in sugar or things like 'breakfast biscuits'. You shouldn't only be allowed to give advice if you're a skinny malinky. 

Anyone who even tried to open their mind would realise it will be porridge like that golden syrup stuff that is being targeted.( nice as it smells 😆)  It’s like saying coco pops is healthy because its got s teeny weeny bit of barley in it.
But it doesn’t suit some people’s agenda to consider this. They just greet away about not being told what to eat by the government , whilst, as Scotlad mentioned earlier, expecting the government to look after them when they end up in hospital due to their shite diet. 

Its the usual over the top hyperbole that is as tedious as fook. 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I don't think you can compare the political climate in Northern Ireland to that of Scotland - never mind how the MSM works there and here.

In Scotland we have Unionist wall to wall media coverage - not so much in Northern Ireland and you can guess why 

I would like to see the response if the London based media started smearing Sinn Fein within Northern Ireland

As much as i would like the SNP to walk out of Westminster you just know how it will be portrayed by The Unionist parties and their compliant media

You only realise how utterly biased the media is up here is when you read a more balanced paper. I read an article in the FT about the SNP Gaza motion the other day and it was as you would expect , mentioning the facts and not trying to sway the reader in a particular direction.
The SNP were mentioned throughout the article but neither negatively or positively, just as part of the report .

I had a look at the comments expecting an onslaught as is usual in the papers up here but  I could not believe how balanced and fairly pro SNP they were. People who were actually looking at the issue and not judging every SNP action by their own view on independence. As it should be because this particular issue is  nothing to do with independence . Some folk cant open their eyes to that either right enough. 

45 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You only realise how utterly biased the media is up here is when you read a more balanced paper. I read an article in the FT about the SNP Gaza motion the other day and it was as you would expect , mentioning the facts and not trying to sway the reader in a particular direction.
The SNP were mentioned throughout the article but neither negatively or positively, just as part of the report .

I had a look at the comments expecting an onslaught as is usual in the papers up here but  I could not believe how balanced and fairly pro SNP they were. People who were actually looking at the issue and not judging every SNP action by their own view on independence. As it should be because this particular issue is  nothing to do with independence . Some folk cant open their eyes to that either right enough. 

I was thinking of asking where folk here got their news from these days. I find that many articles are a frustrating read. I don't mind the Guardian to some extent but they have a very dismissive & condescending attitude to the Scottish Government/our affairs. I tried the Times for a bit but found there was quite a haughty smug air about much of the reporting. The BBC is obviously tainted with its bias and it definitely seems a lot more tabloid than in the past too with the nature of its articles. Do you have to pay for the FT? 

1 hour ago, StirlingEgg said:

I was thinking of asking where folk here got their news from these days. I find that many articles are a frustrating read. I don't mind the Guardian to some extent but they have a very dismissive & condescending attitude to the Scottish Government/our affairs. I tried the Times for a bit but found there was quite a haughty smug air about much of the reporting. The BBC is obviously tainted with its bias and it definitely seems a lot more tabloid than in the past too with the nature of its articles. Do you have to pay for the FT? 

The FT is a subscription, I only read it when I get a free article, I think you are allowed a certain amount in a period of time. Its fairly balanced but its a bit too heavy for me. I spend all day at work on Reuters and similar financial news the last thing I want is more financial news when I get home . I am looking for the Bella magazine 😁

I agree with you regarding the various news outlets. I miss a lot of news as the sources are often so unreliable I canny be bothered reading it. 

21 hours ago, Andy C said:

There are some fisherman they wouldn't win over if they announced that fishing profits were completely exempt from income tax, and 100% government subsidies for new boats.  However your wider point stands.

There are various sectors to the industry, the pelagic lads are raking it in so they just want left alone, however I will commend the latest legislation where a certain amount of fish caught has to be landed in Scotland instead of being shipped to Norway for processing. The capacity in our process sector needs to catch up but this is a good thing

regarding the white fish boats various thing can be done,, ie grant for new boats if they are built in this country, release more quotas on choke species. Ect

its more the inshore lads that need won over, the ones that were completely for independence and the snp that were scared away by that bloody insane HMPA legislation,, that was mental and has damaged the relationship massively..

On 3/1/2024 at 5:08 PM, TDYER63 said:

😆Its the usual over the top hyperbole that is as tedious as fook. 

And true to form. The Sun and reposted by Wings!

20240303_072518.thumb.jpg.672cdeef8dd90c8aca31e6d51c7def81.jpg

It literally says at the end of the article that 'plain porridge oats will not be subject to any restriction' but hey, any chance to paint the Scottish Government in a bad light and whip up a bit of anti-SNP hysteria.

Frigging hilarious reading Scottish Tories spout their bile in Aberdeen over the last few days. Best of all was MSP Tory Murdo Fraser calling for the next election  to campaign on the SNP government's shocking record in government and not on Westminster matters which he recognises the Tory record in power is indefensible. 🤣

59 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Frigging hilarious reading Scottish Tories spout their bile in Aberdeen over the last few days. Best of all was MSP Tory Murdo Fraser calling for the next election  to campaign on the SNP government's shocking record in government and not on Westminster matters which he recognises the Tory record in power is indefensible. 🤣

You'd think if the Scots Tories had any decent ideas how to run a country they might have shared them with their mates in Westminster who have run the UK into the ground.

11 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

You'd think if the Scots Tories had any decent ideas how to run a country they might have shared them with their mates in Westminster who have run the UK into the ground.

Plus Murdo Fraser's remarks are just further confirmation that Scotland under Westminster rule is an archaic joke.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

One minute it's "our country" or "one nation" or "better together" but they like to pretend they're not the same as the senior nasty party and part of the same UK problem. 

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

And true to form. The Sun and reposted by Wings!

20240303_072518.thumb.jpg.672cdeef8dd90c8aca31e6d51c7def81.jpg

It literally says at the end of the article that 'plain porridge oats will not be subject to any restriction' but hey, any chance to paint the Scottish Government in a bad light and whip up a bit of anti-SNP hysteria.

And of course , from the party that are always complaining that the SNP dont work with them :

‘Alba party MSP Ash Regan blasted the nanny state plans’ . 

Sorry Ash, but anyone that really thinks the SNP were banning a healthy SCOTTISH product must be cognitively impaired enough to actually need a nanny . 

It exasperates me , as an SNP member but who is more driven by independence than any political party, when they do not work more with other independence parties. But then you see things like this and think Alba havent any interest whatsoever in working with the SNP either .

I am assuming Ash Regan isn’t actually dumb enough to think healthy porridge was included so why did she not simply say something like ‘ I would be very surprised if this included healthy porridge this needs more clarification’. 
She should be picking her battles a bit more carefully of she really has any intention of working together.