Indyref 2 (2) - Page 173 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

I gave it 21 minutes.

Lots of good venting about the failure of the SNP to secure indyref2, but nothing i heard will make aaid change his view. Mainly because they weren't offering realistic alternatives on what the SNP should have done.

Your posting of that Wings article did help in that regard to be fair. Although the moment for that has passed. 

For some reason i always thought you were in your 40s, no?

I'm 45 and expect to see a Yes vote in indyref2 in the next 10-15 years, so within my lifetime.

Some kind of electoral kicking is required.

For holyrood, i've been coming round to the idea of the 'radical flank effect' in the shape of Salmond's Alba party.

So we end up having 3 pro-indy parties in holyrood. The radical/hard left of the Greens, radical/hard right of Alba, and the centrist managerial soft-left of the SNP.

Ah the Greens,who Nicola managed to squeeze into positions of power.  From where they've pushed their grossly incompetent woke agenda. Fukking fruitcakes the lot if them.

They couldn't give a duk about independence.  

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don’t see where you get this view of Alba as a radical hard right party.  Their economic view is pretty much left wing or at least those who seem to be driving their economic policies are, ie, George Kerevan.  They differ from the Greens as they don’t tend to care much about the environment and their model seems to be about central rather than local control.  They remind me a lot of sections of 1980s Labour complete with the small ‘c’ conservatism.

Aye, you're right on the economics. Salmond's economic worldview has always been Keynesian i believe. I meant Alba are socially to the right, rather than economically right. Like you say, the small c conservatives of the Yes movement.

I also expect them to be the ones to engage in civil disobedience, if and when we get to that stage.

Alba has a role to play in the future i feel.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You want to go and live in Ukraine because some guy on the TAMB has got pals who are thick as shit? Seems a wee bit extreme to me, like. 🤣

No, meant Lithuania, and I don't want to live there either.  I want to be able to live in the EU.

19 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I also expect them to be the ones to engage in civil disobedience, if and when we get to that stage.

Civil disobedience tends to be the realm of the young.  I expect Alba will be focussed on writing strongly worded letters to the newspapers.

53 minutes ago, aaid said:

Civil disobedience tends to be the realm of the young.  I expect Alba will be focussed on writing strongly worded letters to the newspapers.

Maybe, but the people advocating for it will be Auld Yins. You mentioned George Kerevan... I recall him suggesting it in an article a few years ago.

If - as i expect - indyref2 continues to be denied over the next decade, and indy is polling consistently above 50% then that'll be the time for direct action, and i expect the more fringe elements of the Yes movement (like Alba) to be leading the charge.

It is ridiculous when you think about it.

The mainstream unionist media continues to paint those that want Scottish independence is some kind of a small minority and the union is secure. The facts of the matter are clear. Despite the continuous fabricated crap flung at us from that media, despite the attempted stitch up of Sturgeon and despite over 330 years of being under unionist rule the independence support is still gnawing away with a wafer thin lead for no and no more than that. Not a lot for unionists to be so smug about even considering they hold all the cards such as media-biased one-eyed support and claiming the legal high ground and to hell with democracy and morals.

15 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Maybe, but the people advocating for it will be Auld Yins. You mentioned George Kerevan... I recall him suggesting it in an article a few years ago.

I suspect he’ll be advocating for others to do it.  

35 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Musk now having a go at humza 🤣 couldn't make this up

This time it is Musk that is the wank though - although a lie is halfway around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on

https://theferret.scot/claim-humza-yousaf-made-anti-white-speech-is-false/

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

This time it is Musk that is the wank though - although a lie is halfway around the world before the truth gets it's shoes on

https://theferret.scot/claim-humza-yousaf-made-anti-white-speech-is-false/

Maybe it wasn't, in the strictest of terms, racist, but complaining that the vast majority of senior positions are filled by white people in a country that is still overwhelmingly populated by white people (and was even more so when most of those individuals began their careers) is a bit stupid. 

99% of workers won't get near to or even aspire to hold those positions which are, by their very nature, pretty unique. It's going to be difficult to get a c.5% spread over such a small number of roles.

Now, if ethnic minorities are underrepresented at lower levels in those bodies then he has a point, and that would have been a good one to make. I would expect, as the years go on, that we'll see more people from ethnic minority backgrounds taking up senior roles in Scotland.

That said, Humza himself, who those old white people ultimately report, doesn't appear to have been held back in his career by his ethnicity (notwithstanding some of the crap he gets from morons on social media and I don't doubt for a second he got when he was growing up). 

15 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

maybe unsurprising however this should not be used to normalize what's going on within the party,, the sooner humza steps aside, the sooner the party can start to rebuild and distance itself from sturgeon and murell, i wonder when the investigation will be concluded

Judging by how long Police Scotland are taking it may never be concluded - of course that would suit some people!

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Ash Regan resigns from the SNP and joins ALBA

Unsurprising

If she has some integrity she would resign and trigger a by-election. More broadly I think there are some questions about Alba if they aren't prepared to do that. It's alright sniping at the SNP but at some point they need to rest their popularity with the general public.

55 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

If she has some integrity she would resign and trigger a by-election. More broadly I think there are some questions about Alba if they aren't prepared to do that. It's alright sniping at the SNP but at some point they need to rest their popularity with the general public.

Politicians having integrity is rare - If Salmond didn't have any he could arguably still be FM and Scotland could be Independent

It's also not new - Hanvey, McCaskill, Cameron along with numerous others that have crossed the floor at Westminster 

It would seem to be the norm in Politics that you don't need to resign for that

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It made me laugh a bit her signing her resignation letter: "Alba Party leader in Holyrood". 😂

Humza's comment about her departure being no great loss was not the classiest but I suspect its true. Anyhow Humza will have weightier and more personal thoughts on his mind.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

That would be idiotic politically, especially from an alba stand point, having her in holyrood will boost the party’s visibility massively,, it would be stupid to trigger a by-election 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

That would be idiotic politically, especially from an alba stand point, having her in holyrood will boost the party’s visibility massively,, it would be stupid to trigger a by-election 

It may boost visibility but I'm not sure it boosts credibility.