Turkey (Turkiye?) squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey (Turkiye?) squad

N4Footsoldier

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

You would like to think that Gemmil and Clarke are in communication about the full squad so this is disapointing.

In particular I think there was an opportunity to get Ramsay, Anderson and Doig involved.

Given the U21 squad im now hoping that the full squad is made up of the usual players and not turned into a meaningless B team squad with guys like Gallagher, Maclean, Taylor and Ralston all starting.

Maybe a chance for Dom Hyam and Mickey Johnstone and who knows Ryan Gauld.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Problem is only really Doig is playing week in week out for their clubs at this moment in time. If Anderson and Ramsay were playing every week then I agree they should definitely be considered for the full squad. 

Normally id agree but I would consider this game an ideal opportunity for the reasons ive stated previously. 

Im not one for calling up young players just because they are on the books of big clubs but both in now in and about the 1st team squads and it looks almost certain that they will go onto full internationl honours so this would allow them an early taste and allow Clarke to get a closer look.

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Hyam yes.

Mickey Johnstone is miles off the standard required for Scotland and sadly Gauld's chance is probably gone for one reason or another.

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

You would like to think that Gemmil and Clarke are in communication about the full squad so this is disapointing.

In particular I think there was an opportunity to get Ramsay, Anderson and Doig involved.

Given the U21 squad im now hoping that the full squad is made up of the usual players and not turned into a meaningless B team squad with guys like Gallagher, Maclean, Taylor and Ralston all starting.

It's a meaningless fixture anyway. 

On 11/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, er yir macaroon said:

He is just back after 2 months injured, was on the bench against Napoli also. No brainer for me, it’s a B game and he has first team experience in league, cup and CL and has all the hallmarks of a generational talent. 

Aye would have him in now that hes back but looks like hes going to U21s 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

The likes of McCarthy and McGeady IIRC said that Ireland made them feel wanted and Scotland didn’t.

I think he should be in the full squad. He’s getting minutes for Newcastle and that’s a high bar nowadays. 

I honestly think those 2 fannys would have chose Ireland regardless. Mccarthy spat the dummy and 16 and we all know what Mcgeady is like, utter cunt of a guy

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

If I was Clarke I'd be tempted to do a Craig Brown and call Ryan Gauld's bluff.  Call him up, play him, and if he does well, great; if he doesn't then it shows why he has been overlooked and puts the matter of his inclusion to bed. 

Hyam seemingly has been having a good season for a team at the top of the English Championship so I wouldn't have any qualms about including him either.

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I assume any Celtic players are contractually not allowed to come given their tour of Australia happening at the same time

At the moment there's only Callum McGregor who'd be a great loss, and he's injured anyway.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Odd under 21 squad with this friendly coming up. 

Surely for a once in a blue moon friendly we pick guys like Conway, Doig, Anderson etc and don’t call up the likes of Hanlon & O’Donnell etc.

Aye, that's what friendlies are for.  We don't need SPFL/English Championship guys who are pushing 30 - they're as good as they're ever going to be - give some of the best young ones a shot.

23 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I honestly think those 2 fannys would have chose Ireland regardless. Mccarthy spat the dummy and 16 and we all know what Mcgeady is like, utter cunt of a guy

I used to work with a boy who was pally with McGeady.  Apparently his nickname amongst his group of mates was Needle, because he loved to wind people up and start arguments.  Kind of makes me wonder how someone like that even has any mates, because he sounds like a total pain in the arse 🤣 but apparently he was also quite generous.

Edited by scotlad

30 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Agree on all of that 

41 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, that's what friendlies are for.  We don't need SPFL/English Championship guys who are pushing 30 - they're as good as they're ever going to be - give some of the best young ones a shot.

I used to work with a boy who was pally with McGeady.  Apparently his nickname amongst his group of mates was Needle, because he loved to wind people up and start arguments.  Kind of makes me wonder how someone like that even has any mates, because he sounds like a total pain in the arse 🤣 but apparently he was also quite generous.

I know a few people who went to school with him and played 5s and shit with him, he would go down holding his ankle shouting "my career" absolute roaster. Know a few boys that scrapped with him and Scot Mcdonald in the town aswell. Im sure if you were his pal over the years hes probably been good to them, but in general hes a knob. 

My dad worked with his dad too and said he was a lovely guy.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:48 PM, Kirk said:

I know a few people who went to school with him and played 5s and shit with him, he would go down holding his ankle shouting "my career" absolute roaster. Know a few boys that scrapped with him and Scot Mcdonald in the town aswell. Im sure if you were his pal over the years hes probably been good to them, but in general hes a knob. 

My dad worked with his dad too and said he was a lovely guy.

FFS, a bit close for comfort that. 

Hyam has said in a recent interview that he is hoping to be called up this month, it is his ambition to play for Scotland but has had no contact personally, he said his reps. May have had, but he does not want to know unless he is called up. 

On 11/4/2022 at 3:56 PM, scotlad said:

If I was Clarke I'd be tempted to do a Craig Brown and call Ryan Gauld's bluff.  Call him up, play him, and if he does well, great; if he doesn't then it shows why he has been overlooked and puts the matter of his inclusion to bed. 

Hyam seemingly has been having a good season for a team at the top of the English Championship so I wouldn't have any qualms about including him either.

At the moment there's only Callum McGregor who'd be a great loss, and he's injured anyway.

Taylor has been celtics player of the year by all qccounts. 

On 11/4/2022 at 3:40 PM, Kirk said:

I know folk who know/knew mcgeady and that's not the perception they gave but one was related to him!  Whether we like it or not, both those players had more links to Ireland than some of our squad have to Scotland.  They wanted to play for Ireland, that's their preoperative. 

Doubt there's many England fans losing sleep over Anderson. If he chooses yto commit to us then all the better but fuck calling up players in order to convince them to commit. They shouldn't need convincing. If they are holding off in hope for England then leave them to it.

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know folk who know/knew mcgeady and that's not the perception they gave but one was related to him!  Whether we like it or not, both those players had more links to Ireland than some of our squad have to Scotland.  They wanted to play for Ireland, that's their preoperative. 

Doubt there's many England fans losing sleep over Anderson. If he chooses yto commit to us then all the better but fuck calling up players in order to convince them to commit. They shouldn't need convincing. If they are holding off in hope for England then leave them to it.

Aye he was very good to his family when he stated making money.

Agree, we shouldn't be doing it for the sake of it, if they are good enough and want to come fine, but lets not chase folk

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Postecoglu says no Celtic players will be in the Scotland squad for the turkey match so that rules out Taylor, Ralston & Forrest 

Not happy with that at all. The SFA should have stood their ground, the rules were in their favour.

Now that we are minus a few players, if I were Clarke, I'd tell Gemmill that Anderson, Conway, Doig and Ramsay are going with the senior squad to play Turkey. He won't do that of course but I'd love it if he did.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Not happy with that at all. The SFA should have stood their ground, the rules were in their favour.

Now that we are minus a few players, if I were Clarke, I'd tell Gemmill that Anderson, Conway, Doig and Ramsay are going with the senior squad to play Turkey. He won't do that of course but I'd love it if he did.

Is the u21s game/s important?

I seem to recall reading that during the mid-nineties Fergus McCann once refused to release Celtic players for international duty but at Craig Brown's insistence the SFA threatened to get UEFA (or FIFA) involved and McCann had to back down.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Is the u21s game/s important?

It's a friendly.

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yep get them all in

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I seem to recall reading that during the mid-nineties Fergus McCann once refused to release Celtic players for international duty but at Craig Brown's insistence the SFA threatened to get UEFA (or FIFA) involved and McCann had to back down.

It's a friendly.

Fair enough. Lets upgrade a few u21s then.