Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

All very good but would we get a play off spot for finishing bottom or second bottom in league A which being honest theres a good chance we will.

These games have been great and its brilliant us topping the group because of the pot2 advantage and the play off spot to fall back on but being in league A next nations league is surely a disadvantage in terms of trying to get another play off spot. 

Either way we have done great but it just seems like going up a league might reduce our chance of another play off spot next time.

We certainly wouldn’t get a playoff spot for finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in a league B group which is also possible. Look how well we have done in this group and we only just won it and no more. 

If we had lost tonight we could have had England in our group next time. Would you have fancied winning that?

We also reached the World Cup playoffs last time without needing the nations league to do it. 

Wanting to stay in league B to have a slightly better chance of a World Cup playoff is ridiculously unambitious.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

We certainly wouldn’t get a playoff spot for finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in a league B group which is also possible. Look how well we have done in this group and we only just won it and no more. 

If we had lost tonight we could have had England in our group next time. Would you have fancied winning that?

We also reached the World Cup playoffs last time without needing the nations league to do it. 

Wanting to stay in league B to have a slightly better chance of a World Cup playoff is ridiculously unambitious.

Totally agree. Might as well head down to League D and do an Estonia. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Never said i wanted to stay in league A, just not sure theres huge advantages in terms of getting a play off spot. I am guessing it may help us with getting ijto pot 2. 

Tbh i have not much knowledge on how the play off spots work for the world cup in regards to the nations league so i will just leave the discussion for another time. Lets just enjoy the fact we have a euro play off spot and we are in pot 2 for the euros. Its been a great international week for us and the players and manager need massive credit for what they have achieved.

43 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Australia were a bit of a joke footballing nation tbh in 85 ; we made heavy weather of it as usual

Dave Mitchell was their "household" name 

ForwardDave Mitchell

Yeah, fair enough. Was just trying to think of other meaningful/important 0-0 results. 

3 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Is it not case the other teams in A are far more likely to have qualified the ‘proper’ way so as a poorer team in top groups you may get play-off place?

I think thats what happens but tbh i am not totally sure on how it works. From what i understand we had a chance of a play off spot by finishing second in this group depending on who qualifies automatically in in the euro qualifying groups etc

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think thats what happens but tbh i am not totally sure on how it works. From what i understand we had a chance of a play off spot by finishing second in this group depending on who qualifies automatically in in the euro qualifying groups etc

16 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Is it not case the other teams in A are far more likely to have qualified the ‘proper’ way so as a poorer team in top groups you may get play-off place?

We are guaranteed a playoff for Euro 2024 if we need one.

The rules will be completely different for the World Cup 2026 playoffs. We’ll need to wait until nearer the draw to know how it will work then.  

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We are guaranteed a playoff for Euro 2024 if we need one.

The rules will be completely different for the World Cup 2026 playoffs. We’ll need to wait until nearer the draw to know how it will work then.  

So do teams that finish bottom or second bottom of the league A get a play off spot for these euros? If they dont then it seems a bit pointless and unfair to be in league A when poorer teams in leagues B, C and D get play off spots. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

So do teams that finish bottom or second bottom of the league A get a play off spot for these euros? If they dont then it seems a bit pointless and unfair to be in league A when poorer teams in leagues B, C and D get play off spots. 

Yes they probably will if needed. Depends on who qualifies directly. League A gets four play off spots. If 5 League A teams fail to qualify directly then one of them would miss out on a playoff spot.

This group of players has something we have not had in years, and I have been saying this all along.. It's called "Baws".. It's that never give up attitude. No more lightweights. Get fuckin in there. I dinnae give a flyin fuck who we get next, I'm confident !! Alba Gu Brath 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes they probably will if needed. Depends on who qualifies directly. League A gets four play off spots. If 5 League A teams fail to qualify directly then one of them would miss out on a playoff spot.

Sounds a bit shit for that one team. I am guessing gaining promotion from league C to B is even worse because you can easy finish second in league B and miss out on a play off meanwhile the league C winners get a play off spot having won their group playing absolute shiters. I suppose we benefited from this when we were in league C but it does seem like moving up a league can have a chance of biting you in the arse further down the line.

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Let's hope he has a debut to remember for all the right reasons.

Just watched the highlights and he'll remember this night for the rest of his life. Thrown in at the deep end, must be really difficult because it's his first cap, his partner is someone he's never played with before and there's so much riding on it. From what I saw he did really well, fantastic challenge right at the end. A great performance by him and also by Jack Hendry.

35 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yes they likely will if they need one which most of them won’t. League A has 4 playoff spots available.

Every team in League A (and league B I think as well) who needed a playoff for Euro 2020 got one. Will be slightly different for these Euros because there are 16 teams in League A instead of 12 but the vast majority of League A teams will finish in the top 2 of their qualifying groups and won’t need a playoff. 

Doesn’t matter to us this time as we will automatically get a playoff if we don’t qualify automatically because we won our group. 

37 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Not necessarily. If one or more league B group winners (including us hopefully) qualifies automatically their playoff spot would go to a League A team that did not qualify automatically or win their Nations League group. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes they likely will if they need one which most of them won’t. League A has 4 playoff spots available.

Every team in League A (and league B I think as well) who needed a playoff for Euro 2020 got one. Will be slightly different for these Euros because there are 16 teams in League A instead of 12 but the vast majority of League A teams will finish in the top 2 of their qualifying groups and won’t need a playoff. 

Doesn’t matter to us this time as we will automatically get a playoff if we don’t qualify automatically because we won our group. 

Sounds like the ones who get a raw deal are the teams in league B who miss out on a play off spot while league C and D winners get spots. I suppose we benefited from this so we shouldnt complain really.

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sounds like the ones who get a raw deal are the teams in league B who miss out on a play off spot while league C and D winners get spots. I suppose we benefited from this so we shouldnt complain really.

Only one League D winner will potentially get a playoff place this time and that’s only if there’s a spare League A playoff spot going spare but aye only group winners from Leagues A-C are guaranteed a playoff. 

It’s UEFA’s way of trying to give lower ranked teams like the Faroes and Estonia a chance of getting to a major tournament. You can argue it’s unfair but life isn’t fair as my old granny used to say.