EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

4 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Ah put a smile on your fizzer….. if life’s not about a good laugh what is it about.

(cue the usual happy clapper blah blah)

That’s my point. Everyone was mucked about in the Kraków game and it seems turkey might change the ground for the friendly 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Ah put a smile on your fizzer….. if life’s not about a good laugh what is it about.

(cue the usual happy clapper blah blah)

No happy clapper mate

just been watching us struggle to get out of group stage at finals since 74….think thats 9 final appearances and 6 wins total ?

The clamour and excitement at our last euro qualification was off the charts ; as usual struggled to get a point

id rather sacrifice a finals appearance to have a team capable of actually getting out of a group in the next one

am not adverse to a good lads away trip ; but its definitely got to a stage now where for some the football itself is a by product

21 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It wasn't really. We were just shit. Wales were still shit at that time even though they beat us twice. Macedonia weren't really up to much. We beat Croatia home and away but it was too late by then. Belgium were the only really good team in that group and even they weren't at their peak yet.

We were shit - we had a manager and a team littered with players out of their depth - but come on, Wales as the pot 6 team as opposed to an Andorra or a San Marino?? An emerging Serbia team and a Belgium team on the cusp of being household names; Croatia featuring a prime Luka Modric. We finished fourth in the end and to be honest, I wouldn't back us to finish much higher than that now!

The only group I can remember us getting that was possibly worse was the World Cup 1994 qualifying group, with Italy, Switzerland and Portugal, but at least then we had Estonia and Malta as genuine diddy teams.

28 minutes ago, scotlad said:

We were shit - we had a manager and a team littered with players out of their depth - but come on, Wales as the pot 6 team as opposed to an Andorra or a San Marino?? An emerging Serbia team and a Belgium team on the cusp of being household names; Croatia featuring a prime Luka Modric. We finished fourth in the end and to be honest, I wouldn't back us to finish much higher than that now!

The only group I can remember us getting that was possibly worse was the World Cup 1994 qualifying group, with Italy, Switzerland and Portugal, but at least then we had Estonia and Malta as genuine diddy teams.

Aye we unlucky that Wales were the top seed in pot 6, but they were in pot 6 for a reason. Apart from taking 6 points off us, Wales only got another 4 points in the entire group. They got one win against Macedonia and got a point off Belgium, after they had already qualified. We were so shit at the time, that it wouldn't have been a big surprise if 5 of the other 7 teams in pot 6 had beaten us as well. We got the 3rd bottom seed in pot 5, the 2nd bottom seed in pot 2 and the 3rd bottom seed in pot 1. Belgium were the only real outliers and we just happened to get them at the start of their upward spiral. 

Anyway we have improved a lot since then but so have Belgium and Croatia. If we got that same group now I think we would finish 3rd, but the great thing now is that we can't get that group and we can only get one team ranked above us. Makes a huge difference. Or, it should do. But only time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye we unlucky that Wales were the top seed in pot 6, but they were in pot 6 for a reason. Apart from taking 6 points off us, Wales only got another 4 points in the entire group. They got one win against Macedonia and got a point off Belgium, after they had already qualified. We were so shit at the time, that it wouldn't have been a big surprise if 5 of the other 7 teams in pot 6 had beaten us as well. We got the 3rd bottom seed in pot 5, the 2nd bottom seed in pot 2 and the 3rd bottom seed in pot 1. Belgium were the only real outliers and we just happened to get them at the start of their upward spiral. 

Anyway we have improved a lot since then but so have Belgium and Croatia. If we got that same group now I think we would finish 3rd, but the great thing now is that we can't get that group and we can only get one team ranked above us. Makes a huge difference. Or, it should do. But only time will tell.

Notwithstanding how difficult the group was, it was a mistake keeping Craig Levein on longer than the Euro 2012 qualifiers. We only managed to beat Liechtenstein by a single goal in both matches (and were very lucky not to have drawn at home), with a 1-0 win and a 0-0 draw against Lithuania and the defeat in Prague. There were only two relatively decent qualifying performances under Levein from what I remember - the 3-2 home defeat against Spain and the 2-2 home draw with the Czechs.

We were noticeably better once Strachan had worked out his strongest squad. Ironically, an easier group may have allowed Levein to remain manager for longer, so perhaps in the longer term it wasn't such a bad thing.

Even with the current squads, I'm not sure we'd finish even third in that group - Belgium and Croatia would be the top two, whilst it would be between us, Wales and Serbia for third. The Macedonians would have the ability to take points of any one in the group, aside Belgium.

i treat it as a holiday and if scotland win its plus point. of course it why im in the city in the first place. its a like drug following scotland once you go you want your next fix no matter where it is. i must have had ten heart attacks since i first went each time it was watching scotland

27 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Will the dates of the fixtures be decided next week or is it just the draw?

As I understand it the national football associations of teams meet a few days later to decide on fixture list amongst them. If tgey cannot come to agreement it goes back to UEFA who then decide the fixture list. The dates for the fixtures are already decided.

27 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As I understand it the national football associations of teams meet a few days later to decide on fixture list amongst them. If tgey cannot come to agreement it goes back to UEFA who then decide the fixture list. The dates for the fixtures are already decided.

I believe UEFA changed it to being exclusively decided by them, with member associations being able to note when it would be inconvenient for them to have home matches prior to the draw, a few tournaments ago due issues with this. I could be wrong though.

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Its been years since UEFA let the FA's decide it.

All done by computer these days.

It seems to vary over the years, some times we have the fixtures within a couple of hours, other times its been next day.

9 minutes ago, wanderer said:

It seems to vary over the years, some times we have the fixtures within a couple of hours, other times its been next day.

To be honest I prefer it that way. Seem to recall it used to be the top seeds that got priority on fixture order etc and the second seeds and so on.

19 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

As long as we don't get Norway, Sweden or Ukraine in Pot 3, I don't really think it matters who we pull in the rest of the Pots 🤞

Norway must have a weak team though to have a striker of Haaland's quality but not make a mark on the Nations League and failed to qualify for the World Cup.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Norway must have a weak team though to have a striker of Haaland's quality but not make a mark on the Nations League and failed to qualify for the World Cup.

Beaten by Serbia both times I think, who seem to have kicked on a few gears since we beat them. £70m Juventus striker Vlahovic has come into the fold since then.

Much like ourselves they seem to have a fair few good young players coming through so only going to get better over the next 5-10 years, and Haaland is probably the best player in the world at the moment. The less said about Haaland vs Porteous the better.

2 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

Beaten by Serbia both times I think, who seem to have kicked on a few gears since we beat them. £70m Juventus striker Vlahovic has come into the fold since then.

Much like ourselves they seem to have a fair few good young players coming through so only going to get better over the next 5-10 years, and Haaland is probably the best player in the world at the moment. The less said about Haaland vs Porteous the better.

Without doubt the best striker in the world but Norway seem to have a leaky defence which would explain why they aren't getting results despite all of Haaland's goals.

Pot 3 scares me more than Pot 1 does....

Big hope from a travel point of view is that we miss all the obscure ex-Soviet nations east of the Baltic's, as the prices of flights to some of these places is just through the roof!

Imagine down to travel costs, and going via Kyiv, Minsk and Russia no longer a option for flying.

No idea why, but my gut feeling feels like we are going to get a very Nordic-countries heavy group.... Denmark - Iceland - Faroes (and chuck in Estonia) 😂😂😂

Edited by wanderer

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Thank Christ those days are gone.

I'll accept whatever the fixture generator throws up. IIRC, those 'negotiations' didn't even begin until weeks after the draw and who can forget the shambles of the France, Italy, Ukraine, Georgia, etc... meeting.

25 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Thank Christ those days are gone.

I'll accept whatever the fixture generator throws up. IIRC, those 'negotiations' didn't even begin until weeks after the draw and who can forget the shambles of the France, Italy, Ukraine, Georgia, etc... meeting.

In the days of Brown we took this part of it all quite seriously and were surprisingly (for the SFA) very professional and forceful. We very often came away with exactly what suited us in terms of fixtures. But I agree that it's good these days are in the past and it's done more randomly.

20 minutes ago, duncan II said:

In the days of Brown we took this part of it all quite seriously and were surprisingly (for the SFA) very professional and forceful. We very often came away with exactly what suited us in terms of fixtures. But I agree that it's good these days are in the past and it's done more randomly.

No criticism from me of the SFA, but after the draw I think it took a few weeks to get all FA's in one room.

For that group including France, Italy, Ukraine, Georgia, etc... My understanding is Ukraine left the meeting early and flew back to Kiev... Then refused to accept what everyone else had agreed... Then it went UEFA, which took up more time.

That set of fixtures took weeks and weeks to be confirmed.

Also, I heard the SFA asked for venues to be announced ASAP... Italy and Ukraine point-blank refused.

I think Italy pushed it right to the 60 day (as was) deadline.

Good ol' French didn't f*ck us about though. Pretty sure Parc des Princes was named 11 months before the Faddy match.