Foreign football - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Foreign football

26 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Spot on, ta! I’ve booked a couple of train trips via Omio for now (day trips to Pisa and Venice) but I’ll use Trainline for the rest. It’ll be busy as I’m doing Florence, Pisa, Bologna, Vicenza, Venice, Bergamo and Milan in eight days. 

We loved Bologna. Went there and then Bergamo on way home from Rhodes in October. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, killiefaetheferry said:

Same. Been to Bergamo twice now and gone up to the stadium. Not attended a game at the Gewiss yet but that is the plan for the wee man's birthday treat - will be the Easter holidays for us. Looking at home to Bologna. Love visiting Bergamo. Tremendous views and strolling around up at the Citta Alta via the funicular. And it all started with some cheese I bought in Bari after the Luca Toni game...

Good to know there is a fellow Atalanta fan on the board. Usual action packed affair for us yesterday.

Where does the Atalanta thing come from for both of you? As I say, in my ignorance, I didn’t even know they played in Bergamo until last week. 
I remember Caniggia playing with them and their black and blue strips but that’s about it!

I’m looking forward to the game v Sampdoria though as I have a feeling it’ll be a lot more traditional than one of the tourist games at the Nou Camp, Allianz etc. 

52 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Where does the Atalanta thing come from for both of you? As I say, in my ignorance, I didn’t even know they played in Bergamo until last week. 
I remember Caniggia playing with them and their black and blue strips but that’s about it!

I’m looking forward to the game v Sampdoria though as I have a feeling it’ll be a lot more traditional than one of the tourist games at the Nou Camp, Allianz etc. 

Watched Serie A for years without forming an attachment to any club - I just enjoyed the style of football and the competition. Then Gian Piero Gasperini arrived at Atalanta and started his footballing revolution there in 2016/17 and I was hooked. The small, lower level Serie A club suddenly challenging the big guns awoke something in me. Always got awesome kits too, which is a bonus.

A book titled The Working Hands of a Goddess by Tom Underhill came out last year. It's a good account of Gasperini's time at the helm in Bergamo.

Edited by morrie21

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Where did you source your tickets?

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

She was a Greek goddess. 

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Brought some cheese from a wee backstreet deli in Bari. When I got home I discovered the best one was called tallegio. It's from Lombardy so it stuck with me that Atalanta were in that region. My wee boy starting eating the cheese as he grew up; he gets asked, "The usual?"  when he goes into The Cheesery in Broughty Ferry 😂 Only got interested in football when he was 8-9. He's 11 now. One day he joined me watching an Atalanta game on tv and I mentioned the cheese thing. A love affair began for him. His own nickname for Atalanta is 'the cheesy boys' 😂. His timing was brilliant 👍💙🇮🇹#gasperini

Anyone going will love Bergamo. Fantastic small city. Split into Citta Alta and Citta Bassa (upper and lower city). Upper city is not unlike the Royal Mile/Edinburgh Castle; a citadel overlooking the countryside around which was easily defended against aggressors. Lots of old mansions and churches, cobble streets and piazzas. Amazing views over the Citta Bassa. 

797A61FE-0379-45A6-8CC6-A7D30769099D.jpeg

A070739E-7730-4254-B57A-E4F42B85CBCF.jpeg

Just now, killiefaetheferry said:

You arriving at the airport or railway station?

I’ll be arriving at the railway station on the Saturday morning from Vicenza. 
My wife and son are flying in to Bergamo on the Friday lunchtime. They’ll have an extra day there before I get there. 

Walk from the station to at least the funicular if you are in Citta Alta. They should get the No.1 bus which goes direct from the airport to the railway station, then Puorta Nova (central crossroads where the Atalanta shop is 😂) and all the way up to the top of Citta Alta. Buy the 24 hour ticket - it works from the airport and includes the funiculars if you want to go up that way instead of staying on the bus. Accommodation sorted?

11 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Your wee lad will batter the Atalanta club shop before you get there 😂

No doubt. He’ll have Christmas money and he didn’t get a new strip for Christmas for the first time ever so he’ll be saying he’s due one!

Accommodation sorted yeah, an apartment 👍🏼

16 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

ReGo apartments 👍

Ta! Looks good 👍🏼

I’m staying in a monastery in Florence for two nights where nuns stoat about so there’s no bar but it has great reviews and a free breakfast 😆

@McTeeko @killiefaetheferry I am following your posts here and I too have an 11 year old, he also got into football around age of 8, his first season was Stevie Clarks 3 place finish with Killie,I think I spoiled him . He has a killie season and we go to all Scotland home games 

we went to see Juventus 3 years ago( Ronaldo) .

However in February me and him are going on a 5 week long tour, to see mainly football.

A long weekend in Rio, followed by 3 weeks in Buenos Aires ( popping to Montivedeo) and a long weekend in Mexico city before going to Chicago to see a mate for a week. 

if you two or anyone else has and tips / must do's etc I would appreciate . 

any football related tips/ facts or knowledge would be appreciated.

I've already got a photo of him in his Messi strip outside the house in the Gorbals where Alexander Hutton was born( he was the guy who is credited with being the father of Argentinian fitba)  that could be a good starting point with locals .

That sounds unreal Stocky! I was at a game in the Maracana in 2009 (Flamengo v Palmeiras) which was tremendous - wish I had been in with the Palmeiras fans mind you as they were a bit mental! We just picked up tickets via our tour guide over there. Stadium was only a quarter full but was still fantastic!
I’d try to get to a Botofogo game - it’s a great district of Rio too. Best city I’ve ever been in, I’ve been twice now. Make sure you buy your ticket for the funicular up Corcovado to see Christ the Redeemer well in advance. You CAN still go without pre-booking, but it’s a bus and long queues. Sugar Loaf too, another must-do.

We had planned Buenos Aires in Jan 2021 for my wife’s 40th but Covid put paid to that. That’s the dream game to go to - Boca v River in La Bombonera! We’ll get there one day as I have a couple of Argie World Cup pals who I keep in touch with. 

By the way, once you start taking the laddie it then becomes impossible NOT to take him. The older I get the more I realise it’s not the winning or losing, it’s who you’re watching with. The downside is that it costs twice as much! Already got us booked for Norway in June and I’m looking at Georgia for November. 

You must all be fucking loaded with these trips 😂 and have understanding wifes

We do no bad but if I suggested a 5 week holiday for fitbaw I'd get my baws toed 😂

Sounds good though