Europe 2022/23 - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 hours ago, Mitre said:

Not so sure Slasher. Never managed to overcome a 2 goal deficit ever in Europe to qualify. Rangers CL & CL qualifying record is embarrassing.

Slasher is correct, I'm lumping on 3-0 4-0 or 5-0

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Mitre said:

Not so sure Slasher. Never managed to overcome a 2 goal deficit ever in Europe to qualify. Rangers CL & CL qualifying record is embarrassing.

There’s a first time for everything Mitre. It kinda reminds me of the Karagandy tie we had a few years back.

20 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It’s only on Rangers TV. Premier had the first leg so not sure why they don’t have the return. 

OK, thanks. Would have watched had it been on. Interesting mess Rangers are in in the tie. I wonder if they can turn it round at Ibrox tonight?

8 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

OK, thanks. Would have watched had it been on. Interesting mess Rangers are in in the tie. I wonder if they can turn it round at Ibrox tonight?

if we score in the first 20 minutes and get the crowd going then I can see us doing it, possibly with ET.  If we've not scored by HT I can see it being one of those nights.  I genuinely can't call it at the moment.  Our home European form between February and May was fantastic so perform like that and we're through.  Perform like we did against Livi, Killie & USG and we're out.

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

if we score in the first 20 minutes and get the crowd going then I can see us doing it, possibly with ET.  If we've not scored by HT I can see it being one of those nights.  I genuinely can't call it at the moment.  Our home European form between February and May was fantastic so perform like that and we're through.  Perform like we did against Livi, Killie & USG and we're out.

I would've watch the game on IPTV but if its only Rangers TV I will give it a miss. 🤣

Didn’t see the game but obviously felt the result was entirely predictable, wish I’d put a wee wager on it. 

To answer your question VA it was 2007. Celtic qualified in 2nd place in a group with Milan, Benfica & Shaktar. Rangers came 3rd in their group with Barca, Lyon & Stuttgart.

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

When was the last time the OF both got to the group stages?

Just now, slasher said:

Didn’t see the game but obviously felt the result was entirely predictable, wish I’d put a wee wager on it. 

To answer your question VA it was 2007. Celtic qualified in 2nd place in a group with Milan, Benfica & Shaktar. Rangers came 3rd in their group with Barca, Lyon & Stuttgart.

Thanks

It will be interesting if both sides get there and at less one of them draws an English side.

How confident are you considering Celtics recent record in Europe?

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Thanks

It will be interesting if both sides get there and at less one of them draws an English side.

How confident are you considering Celtics recent record in Europe?

I’m optimistic. Despite some calamities we’ve still beaten some really good sides in Europe in recent years. We look like we can score against anyone but obviously the problem lies in keeping them out at the other end. We need a midfield destroyer and I’m not confident about us playing out from the back at that level. Hopefully there will be some more transfer activity soon to add a bit more quality.

On a personal level I hope we avoid the English teams purely because of the sideshow it becomes and it’s been too long since we played Real Madrid so I’d love to draw them. I do think the huns will get past PSV but it will be very tight. If it does end up with them both qualifying everything will come down to how kind the draw is.

PSV will be very tough.  Don't think we could have got a harder draw as a seeded team. Could also be crucial that the first leg is at home as being at Ibrox in the second leg has served us really well for the last few months.  I think we'll need to take at least a 2 goal lead over there and that's a tall order.  Was good to see some of the new players starting to settle in last night.  Lawrence was excellent and looks like he could be really important this season and Tillman gets better every time I see him (albeit the keeper had a shiter for his goal!!).

42 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

PSV will be very tough.  Don't think we could have got a harder draw as a seeded team. Could also be crucial that the first leg is at home as being at Ibrox in the second leg has served us really well for the last few months.  I think we'll need to take at least a 2 goal lead over there and that's a tall order.  Was good to see some of the new players starting to settle in last night.  Lawrence was excellent and looks like he could be really important this season and Tillman gets better every time I see him (albeit the keeper had a shiter for his goal!!).

They only finished 2 points behind Ajax last season but I still think Rangers will do it. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

They only finished 2 points behind Ajax last season but I still think Rangers will do it. 

It's tough but doable.  And if we want a seat at the big table these are the kind of teams we need to be able to take care of.