Europe 2022/23 - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

We have gone toe to toe with them internationally, we've drawn with them in our last two meetings.

Domestically, what do you expect? The EPL has been flooded with money. Comparing our leagues is totally pointless. Scottish clubs flirted with European success but it was nothing compared to how English clubs have had periods of domination. We were hardly ever at their level 

This fascination with what they think of us is weird. I couldn't give a flying fuck what any of them think and I live with them. When it comes to football I largely ignore what they say because what they say comes from a position of extreme ignorance 

You'd still think our league was better than the Irish.  Disappointing result, beaten in both legs. However it hasn't been the first embarrassing result and I don't think it will be the last. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

You'd still think our league was better than the Irish.  Disappointing result, beaten in both legs. However it hasn't been the first embarrassing result and I don't think it will be the last. 

Our league is better than the Irish league. One result doesn't make us worse.

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Our league is better than the Irish one. 

Motherwell made a slow start and were duly punished, but could Sligo compete in Scottish football over 38 games? I’d say probably not. 

Much like Aberdeen ran Burnley close a few years ago and didn’t hearts give Liverpool a scare at tynecastle before that?

Doesnt mean we could do it week in, week out. 

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Our league is better than the Irish one. 

Motherwell made a slow start and were duly punished, but could Sligo compete in Scottish football over 38 games? I’d say probably not. 

Much like Aberdeen ran Burnley close a few years ago and didn’t hearts give Liverpool a scare at tynecastle before that?

Doesnt mean we could do it week in, week out. 

This. If you look at clubs in domestic cup competitions who beat sides in divisions above them and get promoted to that level, often you'll find them relegated (or in a relegation fight) - even with them strengthening the squad after promotion.

One point which is important to note is within the last decade, the League of Ireland has basically professionalised (there may only be a single team which isn't in the top flight, with a handful of teams in the second tier being professional); Northern Ireland is going the same way, with four teams now professional. There's now barely ten countries which will provide any semi-professional/amateur teams for European competition - with only about five having a fully non-professional top flight (I think: Andorra, Faroes, Iceland, Malta and San Marino).

The fitness advantage our clubs used to have simply by being professional clubs has all but gone, while clubs from these smaller countries are improving quickly in technical ability.

41 of the 55 UEFA nations have seen at least a single season of group stage football in the past decade - 30 in the Champions League; the financial gulf between the Scottish Premiership and 'smaller' leagues is closing too.

There's much less reason now as to why top Irish (or basically any country's) clubs cannot compete with non-Old Firm Scottish clubs than there was 20 years ago - even Celtic and Rangers have been embarrassed in the past decade.

The SFA, clubs and supporters need to wake up to this reality, especially as these clubs continue to develop.

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

This. If you look at clubs in domestic cup competitions who beat sides in divisions above them and get promoted to that level, often you'll find them relegated (or in a relegation fight) - even with them strengthening the squad after promotion.

One point which is important to note is within the last decade, the League of Ireland has basically professionalised (there may only be a single team which isn't in the top flight, with a handful of teams in the second tier being professional); Northern Ireland is going the same way, with four teams now professional. There's now barely ten countries which will provide any semi-professional/amateur teams for European competition - with only about five having a fully non-professional top flight (I think: Andorra, Faroes, Iceland, Malta and San Marino).

The fitness advantage our clubs used to have simply by being professional clubs has all but gone, while clubs from these smaller countries are improving quickly in technical ability.

41 of the 55 UEFA nations have seen at least a single season of group stage football in the past decade - 30 in the Champions League; the financial gulf between the Scottish Premiership and 'smaller' leagues is closing too.

There's much less reason now as to why top Irish (or basically any country's) clubs cannot compete with non-Old Firm Scottish clubs than there was 20 years ago - even Celtic and Rangers have been embarrassed in the past decade.

The SFA, clubs and supporters need to wake up to this reality, especially as these clubs continue to develop.

It does also help a lot that they are 2/3 a way through their season. I see that another Irish team, St pats, knocked out a team from Slovenia and Billy King was playing who is one of the worst players to have ever played for DUFC and would get nowhere near Motherwell’s team. Competitive match Fitness does come in to it but The team that finished 4th in our league should at least be scoring against an Irish team over 2 games. 

Rangers get the toughest possible draw (if we beat USG) in the Champions League playoff with either PSV or Monaco up next.

Hearts drawn against either Linfield or FC Zurich in the Europa play off which i guess could have been worse.

8 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Rangers get the toughest possible draw (if we beat USG) in the Champions League playoff with either PSV or Monaco up next.

Hearts drawn against either Linfield or FC Zurich in the Europa play off which i guess could have been worse.

Never thought I'd say these words..... Mon the Royal Union 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Said it at the weekend and its clear again tonight. Rangers will do nothing as long as they persist in playing 3 defensive mids.

At any given time tonight they had 3 attacking players on the pitch. Thats not going to get you anywhere in terms of creating chances or moving the ball about quickly.

They seem to have fallen into the trap of thinking Kamara can play as an offensive player because he filled in ok there on a cpl of occasions.

A toothless performance from Rangers - barely laid a glove on USG.  Far too static and save for a couple of fleeting occasions didn't stretch their opponents at all.

A 1-0 deficit at halftime in a two-legged tie is no disaster but they'll need to score three times at Ibrox now and based on tonight I just can't see it.

Well that was honking. Never a penalty and certainly not a booking however can’t complain with the result at all. Why we waited to nearly 70 mins before making a change and then didn’t change the shape when we did was ridiculous. A midfield of Sands, Jack and Kamara offers no creativity at all and not one player comes out with pass marks.  Utterly woeful. 

16 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sevco in not doing enough due diligence on the opposition shocker.

Ian Black's comments on the VAR decision on BBC Scotland just now were laughable.

Bit of a soft penalty, I thought.  Not that 2-0 flattered USG at all.

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Wouldn't want that penalty awarded against Thistle, but let's not deny that GVB's mob were to the south of properly committed.

Night and day compared to their away (and home) European performances so far this year.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Wouldn't want that penalty awarded against Thistle, but let's not deny that GVB's mob were to the south of properly committed.

Night and day compared to their away (and home) European performances so far this year.

Oh fuck aye, they were far too passive.  Looked like they were going through the motions; and some of their passing was as sloppy as fuck.

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

not soft, just wrong.

'exceptions.... the player's arm is in an already extended when there is no expectation of the ball coming at, or near, the player from a team mate'. The example given is a deflection. 

anyway we still should have lost 3-0 tonight.

The dysfunctional 4-5-1 he played looked like an attempt to justify the simply ridiculous number of midfielders they have on their books at the moment.

Also, Ryan Jack looks a shadow of the player he was pre-injury.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The dysfunctional 4-5-1 he played looked like an attempt to justify the simply ridiculous number of midfielders they have on their books at the moment.

Also, Ryan Jack looks a shadow of the player he was pre-injury.

To be fair on that showing all of the players look a shadow of the what they were last season.  The positive to take from it is that we can only be better in the second leg however I thought before the game that if we got through this tie that we'd struggle against either PSV or Monaco and last night has only confirmed that.

11 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Who do they get in they fall into the Europa league play off round could not work it out from the draw 

They'd go directly into the Europa League group stage if they lose the tie.

20 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Not the worst draw for Hearts. You'd expect Zurich to win, should they get through, but it's a good side to test themselves against ahead of which ever group stage they end up in.