The hampden roar - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The hampden roar

Malcolm

another thing that struck me last night is how hampden is no longer an intimidating place for sides to come to.  Go back to some of the famous wins forty years or so ago and it’s night and day.  It’s no longer a bear pit.  let’s get the pipe band back in before the games too.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

another thing that struck me last night is how hampden is no longer an intimidating place for sides to come to.  Go back to some of the famous wins forty years or so ago and it’s night and day.  It’s no longer a bear pit.  let’s get the pipe band back in before the games too.

The atmosphere at the Israel and Denmark games was immense. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

so why not last night in such an important game?

I wonder if it was the occasion. Even I felt strange watching it, playing against a war torn country is bizarre. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It is hard to create much of an atmosphere when you are so far behind ability wise after 20 minutes.. 

For Hampden to roar you need lions on the pitch. 

Doesn’t necessarily need ability, just effort and belief. Wasn’t much of that on show last night.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Bolt ya nugget...are you trying to suggest that there has never been an intimating atmosphere at Hampden in the past 4 decades? Shite

Just now, 0Neils40yarder said:

Bolt ya nugget...are you trying to suggest that there has never been an intimating atmosphere at Hampden in the past 4 decades? Shite

I’m not sure what you mean by nugget.  Yes, the atmosphere has changed over that time over the period, I think due to both the introduction of all seated stadia and the profile of the support changing.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Doesn’t necessarily need ability, just effort and belief. Wasn’t much of that on show last night.

. Correct.The crowd was feeding off crumbs last night. Absolutely pitiful performance. Shameful in such an important match. 

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The atmosphere was tremendous before kick off. I appreciate you appear to have missed that.

Exactly. And it doesn't help that some don't turn up until almost half time. They then go for a pish, then and queue up for a non existent pie that everybody knows, always sell out within 20 minutes of kick off. The are probably then too busy whinging about life's injustices to make any attempt at helping to add to any atmosphere. We've all met these types.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Exactly. And it doesn't help that some don't turn up until almost half time. They then go for a pish, then and queue up for a non existent pie that everybody knows, always sell out within 20 minutes of kick off. The are probably then too busy whinging about life's injustices to make any attempt at helping to add to any atmosphere. We've all met these types.

arrived half an hour before kick off.  If pies sell out 20 mins after kick off, why not bring in more pies?

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

arrived half an hour before kick off.  If pies sell out 20 mins after kick off, why not bring in more pies?

The people of Scotland are fat enough already. Nicola has slapped a quota on the number of pies allowed at sporting events. Why not bring your own sandwiches? You'll have plenty time to eat them while you're waiting in the queue. 

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The people of Scotland are fat enough already. Nicola has slapped a quota on the number of pies allowed at sporting events. Why not bring your own sandwiches? You'll have plenty time to eat them while you're waiting in the queue. 

Really? Is this true? What kind of country does this?  I’m very capable of deciding for myself if I can eat a pie or not. Ffs.  

24 minutes ago, todd said:

Wasn't at the game but I know for sure that the ridiculous pre-match Ukraine love-in was more than enough to kill any atmosphere at home or in the pubs! 

If that actually happened then I must have missed it. It just seemed like any other game to me. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

If that actually happened then I must have missed it. It just seemed like any other game to me. 

Are you fuvkin kidding me?!  The build up started at 7pm and the home team never got a proper mention until 7.30.  And in-between this there was a bizarre Sky news type report from war-torn Ukraine!  It was even worse than I was expecting it to be.  Even my wife sitting quietly across the room, with no interest in football, head buried in a magazine, looked up to me at one point to ask who Ukraine were playing 😄

1 minute ago, todd said:

Are you fuvkin kidding me?!  The build up started at 7pm and the home team never got a proper mention until 7.30.  And in-between this there was a bizarre Sky news type report from war-torn Ukraine!  It was even worse than I was expecting it to be.  Even my wife sitting quietly across the room, with no interest in football, head buried in a magazine, looked up to me at one point to ask who Ukraine were playing 😄

So you are only judging by the TV build-up then since you weren't at the match but watching on Sky?

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So you are only judging by the TV build-up then since you weren't at the match but watching on Sky?

I clearly said I wasn't at the match!  And I was commenting on the atmosphere at home and in the pubs.  Not sure how much clearer I could've made it.

3 minutes ago, todd said:

I clearly said I wasn't at the match!  And I was commenting on the atmosphere at home and in the pubs.  Not sure how much clearer I could've made it.

So that alone never had any outcome on the match whatsoever so what is your point?

However, I do agree screening of stark video of war scenes - there's no need to be showing that. It is Sky Sports not Sky News.

End of the day I am comfortable with the fact that the best team won on the day and we need to move on from that. The players should carry that hurt and pain and remember it well for the next time we play a crunch match  and hopefully they use it as to spur them on.

20 minutes ago, todd said:

So, you are worried about the atmosphere in your own house. We've all been there, bud. 😉

On 6/2/2022 at 7:50 AM, Malcolm said:

let’s get the pipe band back in before the games too.

Having the massed pipes and drums churn up the pitch for 30 mins pre game, was, in hindsight, awesome shithousery against the better footballing nations.