Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 333 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

Tom Cairney now saying he's hoping he can be involved in the Euros with Scotland, but realises his chances are slim.

I can't see who we'd drop for him, Jack maybe, so can't see this one happening.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good that we have around 26/27 good players as its usual that players become N/A for tournaments. I cant see Cairney breaking in if everybody is fit but he is exactly the standard of squad player we need should a few 1st teamers miss out.

On the Shankland front, I think he is currently in a weird position. If Clarke only takes 3 strikers which I think he might then Shankland is probably that 3rd striker however I dont think Clarke see's him as a starter.

He is our best finisher but I disagree with some posters saying thats all that matters. Its all about putting a team out that best compliment each other and that help get the best results. If for example the striker is great at goalscoring but doesnt hold the ball up or create space for midfielders etc then its alot easier for teams to just mark him. Currently they need to worry about midfield runs from deep aswell as the striker.

That being said, I think Shanklands all round game has improved loads in the last 2 years so to label him as just a goalscorer in the mould of Boyd and Rhodes is probably unfair.

52 minutes ago, Silversand said:

Tom Cairney now saying he's hoping he can be involved in the Euros with Scotland, but realises his chances are slim.

I honestly think the eight midfielder berths are sewn up and have been for some time and it does not include Jack or Cairney. The eight being McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, McLean, Gilmour, Christie, Armstrong and Ferguson. Barring injuries they will be on the plane to Germany.

14 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its good that we have around 26/27 good players as its usual that players become N/A for tournaments. I cant see Cairney breaking in if everybody is fit but he is exactly the standard of squad player we need should a few 1st teamers miss out.

On the Shankland front, I think he is currently in a weird position. If Clarke only takes 3 strikers which I think he might then Shankland is probably that 3rd striker however I dont think Clarke see's him as a starter.

He is our best finisher but I disagree with some posters saying thats all that matters. Its all about putting a team out that best compliment each other and that help get the best results. If for example the striker is great at goalscoring but doesnt hold the ball up or create space for midfielders etc then its alot easier for teams to just mark him. Currently they need to worry about midfield runs from deep aswell as the striker.

That being said, I think Shanklands all round game has improved loads in the last 2 years so to label him as just a goalscorer in the mould of Boyd and Rhodes is probably unfair.

I agree also that Shankland is unlikely to start. It's easy for us computer pundits to say he scores goals so that = starting. It's about the system. 

The only case for someone like a Jacob Brown in the squad is if we prioritize pace over finesse, but even at this point in the season if Shankland isn't on the plane then he would be really hard done by. If he stays in Scotland forthe rest of the season (whether at Rangers or not) and ends up top league goal scorer, that should be a shoe in for our squad which seems to lack natural finishersin the forward position.

9 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I agree also that Shankland is unlikely to start. It's easy for us computer pundits to say he scores goals so that = starting. It's about the system. 

The only case for someone like a Jacob Brown in the squad is if we prioritize pace over finesse, but even at this point in the season if Shankland isn't on the plane then he would be really hard done by. If he stays in Scotland forthe rest of the season (whether at Rangers or not) and ends up top league goal scorer, that should be a shoe in for our squad which seems to lack natural finishersin the forward position.

If fit Adams and Dykes start. For a tournament of 3 games minimum I think Clarke looks at his 3rd choice striker and goes with somebody who can do something different which Shankland falls into. Ie needing a goal you bring him off the bench (like Georgia).

This would make sence using the Norway game as an example. Many wanted and thought Shankland would replace Brown however Dykes did. We were winning 3-2 at that stage (70 mins) and therefore needed somebody to continue the role rather than change it. Had it been 3-3 then I suspect Shankland might have got the nod.

Again, personally I think that Shankland could play the role and Norway would have been an ideal time to find out but Clarkes sees him in training and will have studied videos etc so maybe he thinks differently.

5 hours ago, Silversand said:

Theres always a chance of an injury or 2. If there is injuries to our midfielders then I can't think of many who would be ahead of cairney. 

5 hours ago, Silversand said:

Weird how he's suddenly vocal about being involved with the squad now that we're in a huge tournament 🤔

2 hours ago, todd said:

Weird how he's suddenly vocal about being involved with the squad now that we're in a huge tournament 🤔

Not weird pretty normal I reckon. Any eligible player should be pushing themselves forward for any nation that qualifies for a major tournament & just because he has apparently publicly said it doesn't mean he hasn't been wanting called up before qualifying. I've yet to see anyone post any proof here that he didn't want to be selected the last few years.

31 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Not weird pretty normal I reckon. Any eligible player should be pushing themselves forward for any nation that qualifies for a major tournament & just because he has apparently publicly said it doesn't mean he hasn't been wanting called up before qualifying. I've yet to see anyone post any proof here that he didn't want to be selected the last few years.

Pretty weird I reckon.  Why not express his desire prior to our qualification? "I'd love to make the Scotland qualifying squad" or "I'd love to make the Scotland Nations League squad" Just sayin like!

18 minutes ago, todd said:

Pretty weird I reckon.  Why not express his desire prior to our qualification? "I'd love to make the Scotland qualifying squad" or "I'd love to make the Scotland Nations League squad" Just sayin like!

It is this quote from Cairney I find weird:

“Qualifying for the Euros is a big achievement and I’ve been a bit of a fan watching their games.

9 hours ago, Silversand said:

If he keeps his form up I’d take him instead of Kenny McLean tbh. McLean playing centre back for a mid table championship side

13 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

One of the blokes I work with loves his football and goes to random games and he went to see QPR the other night. He told me that Dykes was getting absolutely no service whatsoever. Just been on Twitter and quite a few fans are saying the same thing 

Does he play a similar role for QPR as he does for us or is he more of a classic striker?

I wonder what  it is about Shankland that means he should be third choice and not first choice? Is it the lack of pace (is Dykes that quick and does he rely on pace for us?) or the league he plays in? I can't see it being hold-up play as he's really improved that part of his game. 

6 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I wonder what  it is about Shankland that means he should be third choice and not first choice? Is it the lack of pace (is Dykes that quick and does he rely on pace for us?) or the league he plays in? I can't see it being hold-up play as he's really improved that part of his game. 

It is purely down to Clarke having found a winning formula and Dykes and Adams have been part of that. They have been part of a team that has gone on lengthy winning streaks that has seen us promoted in the Nations League and qualify for Euro 24. It is like that old saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Shankland's only hope of usurping Dykes and Adams is if he were to get a move to an EPL club and carry on his goalscoring feats or doing the same after a move to Rangers may help a little.

20 hours ago, Silversand said:

Cairney has always been a odd one, but I do not think his agent spouting his mouth on a "Come and get me Southgate" plea, and Fulham's yo-yo league form in recent years has helped him in any way.

3 separate Scotland managers have called him up, and in Eck and Clarke's case, both have been critical of their predecessor for over looking him.... used him in one game, and then he is never spoken of again.

Clarke in one of his first interviews was even talking about building his midfield around him, but I think with the emergence of both Gilmour and McTominay, plus McGregor finding his form of late, and the thought of dropping McGinn being unthinkable, at best he would be up against Jack for a place in the squad.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is purely down to Clarke having found a winning formula and Dykes and Adams have been part of that. They have been part of a team that has gone on lengthy winning streaks that has seen us promoted in the Nations League and qualify for Euro 24. It is like that old saying - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Shankland's only hope of usurping Dykes and Adams is if he were to get a move to an EPL club and carry on his goalscoring feats or doing the same after a move to Rangers may help a little.

It's not broken but it could be better, surely? You're acknowledging this yourself when you say that he'd get in if he goes to the EPL. And Clarke is always looking to improve or he wouldn't be looking to recruit English players.

I'd also really put into question how much, for example, Adams had a hand in our qualifying campaign. He was barely involved through injury and when he did play he failed to impress.  Even Dykes got only one goal though I appreciate he brings other qualities. 

It seems an unfair standard for Shankland to reach in that the only way he can become first choice is by moving to a league higher than Dykes and Adams when, in the championship,one of them isn't first choice and one is in the relegation zone.  

23 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

It's not broken but it could be better, surely? You're acknowledging this yourself when you say that he'd get in if he goes to the EPL. And Clarke is always looking to improve or he wouldn't be looking to recruit English players.

I'd also really put into question how much, for example, Adams had a hand in our qualifying campaign. He was barely involved through injury and when he did play he failed to impress.  Even Dykes got only one goal though I appreciate he brings other qualities. 

It seems an unfair standard for Shankland to reach in that the only way he can become first choice is by moving to a league higher than Dykes and Adams when, in the championship,one of them isn't first choice and one is in the relegation zone.  

Adams has credits in the bank for us at international level I'd say from past campaigns (maybe not this) as has Dykes. To cast them aside for an unproven striker (relatively) at international level on the brink of a major tournament in which we have a real chance of progressing past the group stage for the first time ever would be a massive gamble to take when things (results-wise in competitive matches) have been ticking along very nicely. Bear in mind I am putting myself in Clarke's shoes. Personally, I'd like to see more chances given to Shankland in the upcoming friendlies with much more than a 10 to 15 minute cameo to really show us what he can do at international level.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Adams has credits in the bank for us at international level I'd say from past campaigns (maybe not this) as has Dykes. To cast them aside for an unproven striker (relatively) at international level on the brink of a major tournament in which we have a real chance of progressing past the group stage for the first time ever would be a massive gamble to take when things (results-wise in competitive matches) have been ticking along very nicely. Bear in mind I am putting myself in Clarke's shoes. Personally, I'd like to see more chances given to Shankland in the upcoming friendlies with much more than a 10 to 15 minute cameo to really show us what he can do at international level.

Results are obviously the most important thing but individual performances and abilities have to be taken into account. We've dropped several players who have been part of teams who have got us good results.

I think the credit in the bank should probably only go as far back as the last campaign.  And, let's be honest, the last time Adams really had a great performance for us was in 2021 against Denmark. That campaign was the last time Dykes really had a decent goal contribution, too.

Clarke really missed a chance to give Shankland more minutes against Norway. That was a poor decision in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Results are obviously the most important thing but individual performances and abilities have to be taken into account. We've dropped several players who have been part of teams who have got us good results.

I think the credit in the bank should probably only go as far back as the last campaign.  And, let's be honest, the last time Adams really had a great performance for us was in 2021 against Denmark. That campaign was the last time Dykes really had a decent goal contribution, too.

Clarke really missed a chance to give Shankland more minutes against Norway. That was a poor decision in my opinion.

As long as results continue to come there is no immediate pressure to change things that is my experience in international football unless there is an obvious star in the wings. Shankland has had a really impressive season at Hearts but even posters on here did not really think he was worth a shot before this season started so it is not so controversial that Clarke has stuck by Dykes (pivotal in us getting a key win in Norway) and Adams.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree with this being the reason Shankland is 3rd of those 3. Other than having a squad of good players, Clarke places a high importance on continuity and closeness between the squad and he shows great loyalty to those players.

From a footballing perspective it’s pretty obvious that Shankland is a better all round striker than Dykes and Adams at the moment. He’s a far far better goal scorer than both, stronger than both and I’d argue as good link up as both. He’s not as dynamic as Adams but I’d say he’s on a par with Dykes from that perspective.

I don’t expect him to overtake either come the Euros but I’d be staggered if he doesn’t make the squad. 

20 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

I don’t expect him to overtake either come the Euros but I’d be staggered if he doesn’t make the squad. 

I am more concerned he will go as our fourth striker behind Jacob Brown in the pecking order. I say that going by the more chances given to Brown than Shankland in the last two or three games.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am more concerned he will go as our fourth striker behind Jacob Brown in the pecking order. I say that going by the more chances given to Brown than Shankland in the last two or three games.

Hopefully not. Adams can do what Brown does but better. No one can do what Shankland can do so hopefully Clarke shares that view.

29 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Hopefully not. Adams can do what Brown does but better. No one can do what Shankland can do so hopefully Clarke shares that view.

I think we'll get a definitive answer in the pre-Euros friendlies. If Brown gets more game time than Shankland then you have your answer.