Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 315 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

19 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Obviously we are lacking in the Centre Forward position but I honestly think we have goals in this team. We are scoring from midfield, we are dangerous from set pieces. 
I was hoping Ross Stewart would come into the Southampton team and start scoring but he’s picked up another injury, and will be out until January, so it’s very doubtful he’ll emerge and put a claim to be included in the squad now. That leaves Dykes, Adams and probably Shankland as our Centre Forwards. Personally I’d play Dykes as first choice, he has a new manager at QPR and he’s started scoring and playing well for them recently, so let’s hope that continues for the rest of the season. 
I think if the team is set up correctly, we will create chances and score. And I don’t think it’s in the attacking areas, centre forward position that is the key. It’s the partnership in central midfield, ie who plays alongside McGregor. If for example Hickey is played there, and the partnership works. That means we will line up something like 

Porteous Hendry Tierney

Patterson                   Robertson

McTominay Hickey McGregor

McGinn

Dykes

I think a team like this will create chances and score, even without a top Centre Forward. And it’ll be solid defensively. 

Recently we have done ok for goals but that was down to mctominay going on a crazy run that I don't think any of us or clarke would have predicted. 

If that dries up we are in trouble. Mcginn is our only real goalscorer. Adams and dykes chip in but not as much as you would hope considering they are strikers.

I can understand ppl not wanting Barnes based on eligibility etc but lets be honest he would improve our squad and is probably better than any winger/forward we have.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Recently we have done ok for goals but that was down to mctominay going on a crazy run that I don't think any of us or clarke would have predicted. 

If that dries up we are in trouble. Mcginn is our only real goalscorer. Adams and dykes chip in but not as much as you would hope considering they are strikers.

I can understand ppl not wanting Barnes based on eligibility etc but lets be honest he would improve our squad and is probably better than any winger/forward we have.

Yep, Barnes will be straight in the squad when he’s back fit. Steve Clarke would take all 4 of those Newcastle lads in a heartbeat and anyone who thinks he wouldn’t is in a fantasy world 

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Those doom-mongers out there about our draw - there are actually more Scots playing in the EPL (widely-regarded as the strongest league in the world) than there are Germans, Hungarian or Swiss players.

Not sure that proves anything really. Germans will mostly play in the bundesliga as it's a top league. Same way most English players play in England.

Hungarians and swiss will mostly play serie a, ligue 1 and bundesliga. Theres a history of them playing in those leagues much like Scots and welsh playing in England. We should always outnumber those two countries when it comes to players playing in the epl. It would be worrying if we didn't.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure that proves anything really. Germans will mostly play in the bundesliga as it's a top league. Same way most English players play in England.

Hungarians and swiss will mostly play serie a, ligue 1 and bundesliga. Theres a history of them playing in those leagues much like Scots and welsh playing in England. We should always outnumber those two countries when it comes to players playing in the epl. It would be worrying if we didn't.

The EPL now stands above those leagues you mention for quality and I don't think you will find many arguing with that point. EPL clubs will buy the best players and geography does not come into it. And history means nothing now as the way EPL shops and where changed at least a decade ago. Therefore the Scots playing in the EPL are fully meriting it and are regulars and impressing. If German, Swiss and Hungarian players are of top notch quality EPL clubs would be knocking on doors to get them there so I'd say this raging quality (perceived) is not quite as uber high as some paint it.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The EPL now stands above those leagues you mention for quality and I don't think you will find many arguing with that point. EPL clubs will buy the best players and geography does not come into it. And history means nothing now as the way EPL shops and where changed at least a decade ago. Therefore the Scots playing in the EPL are fully meriting it and are regulars and impressing. If German, Swiss and Hungarian players are of top notch quality EPL clubs would be knocking on doors to get them there so I'd say this raging quality (perceived) is not quite as uber high as some paint it.

The quality/standard isn't massively higher in the epl plus history and geography does still have an effect. Swiss and Hungarian players are still more likely to be snapped up by clubs in France, Germany and Italy than English clubs. Theres a reason Scottish, Irish and Welsh play mostly in England rather than in those other leagues and thats because the epl snaps up players from the home nations and always has. Same way Italian clubs snap up players from the Yugoslavian nations.

A better gauge is how many play in the top 5 leagues from each country. The swiss score pretty high on that and obviously the Germans easily number the most. I think us and Hungary are probably similar. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The quality/standard isn't massively higher in the epl plus history and geography does still have an effect. Swiss and Hungarian players are still more likely to be snapped up by clubs in France, Germany and Italy than English clubs. Theres a reason Scottish, Irish and Welsh play mostly in England rather than in those other leagues and thats because the epl snaps up players from the home nations and always has. Same way Italian clubs snap up players from the Yugoslavian nations.

A better gauge is how many play in the top 5 leagues from each country. The swiss score pretty high on that and obviously the Germans easily number the most. I think us and Hungary are probably similar. 

Football is a business based around winning. The EPL like all of the major leagues in Europe buy the best players they can judged on talent not on where they live. The EPL differs massively from the days of the First Division when likes of Liverpool and Nottingham Forest were largely made up of players from the UK. Once the First Division became the EPL and TV revenues have risen massively over the years the EPL clubs shopping habits have changed massively, It does contain a lot of English players still but that they are quality. The amount of foreigners now plying their trade in the EPL is like night and day compared to the First Division days so the Scots there are there on merit not because they were born just up the road. And they outnumber the countries we are competing against at the Euros.

If you wish to judge it solely on how well the players are spread across the major leagues of Germany, England, Spain, Italy and France then the Scots do not get blown away.

Germany have 26 players playing outwith Germany.

Switzerland have 33 players playing in the five major leagues.

Scotland have 24 players playing across the five major leagues.

Hungary have 11 players playing across the five major leagues. 

41 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We need him playing. One of our best cbs. Maybe a move wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

Think his time at forest is up. IMO top of championship club would be good move instead of relegation backs to the wall stuff. 

Nottingham Forest take significant Joe Worrall action as Middlesbrough plot transfer (footballleagueworld.co.uk)

The more I see of Clark the more I dont think he can be our backup GK. 

Similar to the recent Scotland games he just keeps doing thinga that good GKs dont do. 

Take last nights game for example, Rangers goal couldnt go down as a GK error but he is still in the middle of nowhere. Your starting position either has to be to get the ball or deep enough that the striker has to take it in and thus allowing the defence a chance to recover. There was also the obvious fumble but more to the point there was a shot which he saved as was expected but a good GK put the save out and wide, he put it straight into the path of a Rangers player. 

I dont know the solution as ive said previously that I dont think McCrorie should be rewarded for his stance at Rangers. Lets hope Gordon gets back in at Hearts.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Similar to the recent Scotland games he just keeps doing thinga that good GKs dont do. 

Take last nights game for example, Rangers goal couldnt go down as a GK error but he is still in the middle of nowhere. Your starting position either has to be to get the ball or deep enough that the striker has to take it in and thus allowing the defence a chance to recover. There was also the obvious fumble but more to the point there was a shot which he saved as was expected but a good GK put the save out and wide, he put it straight into the path of a Rangers player. 

I dont know the solution as ive said previously that I dont think McCrorie should be rewarded for his stance at Rangers. Lets hope Gordon gets back in at Hearts.

I know it won't happen but if Gordon is back playing regularly I'd like Clarke to take a chance & take only him & Gunn so to free another outfield place.

Wonder when the last time a nation had to call on their third keeper during a major competition due to injury or suspension, maybe never. 

20 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It appears so, not sure who's idea it was but it amazing how well he has taken to it.

probaly all go pear shaped in a couple of weeks

😆 Yeh they say form is temporary but class is permanent so if he goes back to his more normal level he might only be on the bench in a couple of weeks .

Martin Keown was waxing lyrical about him on motd last night, he was saying he is going to give Steve Clarke something to think about if he keeps up this level of performance in the deeper role.  I like Christie as like a lot of it midfielders he has great work rate so it's going to be really interesting if he keeps playing deeper all season & looking so classy. 

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

I know it won't happen but if Gordon is back playing regularly I'd like Clarke to take a chance & take only him & Gunn so to free another outfield place.

Wonder when the last time a nation had to call on their third keeper during a major competition due to injury or suspension, maybe never. 

Im pretty sure that you have to name 3 GKs 

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Clark needs to tap Marshall up to come out of retirement, as third choice.

11 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

It's obvious Dyche doesn't rate him

There's quite a few of us on here fancy trying Hickey as a holding midfielder but there's no realistic way that can happen unless he is tried there by his club & Patterson starts to get more than a few minutes cameo minutes.

Just watching motd, what a night for the Scots last night. McTominay should have had four or five, Billy played well, McGinn was immense and they had a montage of Christie after the game. After his contract extension that's two motm's out of three. He seems to be playing much deeper now and some of his passing was brilliant

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

53 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

There's quite a few of us on here fancy trying Hickey as a holding midfielder but there's no realistic way that can happen unless he is tried there by his club ….

No way hickey’ll be played anywhere other than left back when he returns……. and then over to the right when Henry back for brentford….. so hickey as a midfielder won’t be this season. Even for mid/end of game shuffles, if in midfield he’d be advanced rather than holding.

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Just watching motd, what a night for the Scots last night. McTominay should have had four or five, Billy played well, McGinn was immense and they had a montage of Christie after the game. After his contract extension that's two motm's out of three. He seems to be playing much deeper now and some of his passing was brilliant

Love Christie. Infact love all those guys. 

Huge fan of what Callum McGregor has done in a Scotland shirt the last couple of years but his starting place may be close to under threat now