Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 279 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

18 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

And realistically he has to be an EPL regular for a team in the top 5 to get a sniff. If you look at the quality and age-profile of their midfield (or any area of their team really) then you are typically looking at guys with 100 career appearances at top teams breaking in at 22ish. Guys like Skipp (60 games for Spurs, 50 for Norwich), Jacob Ramsey (almost 100 games for Villa), Curtis Jones (more than 50 games for Liverpool) and Harvey Elliott (almost 100 games split evenly between Blackburn and Liverpool) are starting in their U21 midfield - I can't even see him getting anywhere near that to be honest.

Hackney is, at this point, kidding himself I think if he thinks he is breaking in to the England (youth) setup in any kind of sustained way. I am pretty doubtful that is the reason though, I expect he just doesn't want to spend a week with the ball getting punted over his head by a Scot Gemmill team.

Yeh i actually didnt realise how far he is from the full england squad. He needs to stay put. Hes close to getting in our squad and all it would take is an injury or 2 for him to get into the squad for Germany assuming we get there. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

And realistically he has to be an EPL regular for a team in the top 5 to get a sniff. If you look at the quality and age-profile of their midfield (or any area of their team really) then you are typically looking at guys with 100 career appearances at top teams breaking in at 22ish. Guys like Skipp (60 games for Spurs, 50 for Norwich), Jacob Ramsey (almost 100 games for Villa), Curtis Jones (more than 50 games for Liverpool) and Harvey Elliott (almost 100 games split evenly between Blackburn and Liverpool) are starting in their U21 midfield - I can't even see him getting anywhere near that to be honest.

Hackney is, at this point, kidding himself I think if he thinks he is breaking in to the England (youth) setup in any kind of sustained way. I am pretty doubtful that is the reason though, I expect he just doesn't want to spend a week with the ball getting punted over his head by a Scot Gemmill team.

Which is perfectly understandable!

Hackney might make their U21 squad but I think he could be an outside bet to make our squad for Germany - if he sticks with us and if we qualify, of course.

I'm obviously biased, but the choice between playing at a major tournament finals next summer or possibly some pishy U21 tournament a couple of years from now instead is a no-brainer.  Mind you, that wee sand dancer from Man City ditched RoI with a similar choice in front of him, so you never know. 

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Which is perfectly understandable!

Hackney might make their U21 squad but I think he could be an outside bet to make our squad for Germany - if he sticks with us and if we qualify, of course.

I'm obviously biased, but the choice between playing at a major tournament finals next summer or possibly some pishy U21 tournament a couple of years from now instead is a no-brainer.  Mind you, that wee sand dancer from Man City ditched RoI with a similar choice in front of him, so you never know. 

Think chances are strong that Clarke will use the next 10 months to get a hand full of eligible players in (2, maybe 3 at the most), and it will be of a standard that will be beneficial to us, rather than players out for a short term international career for their own needs.

He will have the carrot of the Euros next summer, but also making it appealing to players that they will be playing along side Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Gilmour, McTominay etc... which is a easier sell than Levein trying to get Gabriel Agbonlahor, Jonjo Shelvey or Andy Carroll, and having to sell them the prospect of playing along side Garry Kenneth, Steven Whittaker and Steven Caldwell.

I suspect there is nothing in the Hackney omission and he will be back in the squad for October games, if not even promoted to the first team.

11 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Hayden Hackney has told Gemmill he wants to try and get in the England squad, so we can forget about that one for a year or 2. 

A year or 2?

If that's the case he can fuck off for good

Has Hackney actually said anything though? Quick google search cant find anything so is this a case of somebody just making something up on here, all the usual suspects jump on board and the guy is tarred as always wanting to pay for England and us being his 2nd choice?

57 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Has Hackney actually said anything though? Quick google search cant find anything so is this a case of somebody just making something up on here, all the usual suspects jump on board and the guy is tarred as always wanting to pay for England and us being his 2nd choice?

Lol dont let facts get in the way of a good witch hunt.

30 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Decided to watch the Everton game to see Patterson and crikey they’re a poor side. He looks really low on confidence compared to how he plays for Scotland 

The good thing is that when he's not been picked for Everton or come back from injury he's done well for us. So he's obviously resilient but you do worry about the long term effect on his progress.

17 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

The good thing is that when he's not been picked for Everton or come back from injury he's done well for us. So he's obviously resilient but you do worry about the long term effect on his progress.

Yeah I just hope it stays that way. I think Scotland's formation suits him a bit better as he has license to bomb forward and if he does lose the ball then Porteous/Souttar/someone else is behind him to defend. Any time he loses the ball for Everton it's absolute panic mode from their defence.

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Was it not Lammers who lost his man? Or was that the third goal? It was hard to keep up! 🤣

Souttar's an interesting one. I like him and he's plenty good enough for SPFL but I do wonder if he is good enough at the highest level, both for Rangers and Scotland. The only way you find out is by being tested.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tell that to clarke and angus gunn

Again another who wanted to play for England but wasn't good enough so took us as second choice. I'd rather have players that are all in from day 1. And if we aren't as good fine but we should be nobody's second choice

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Souttar's an interesting one. I like him and he's plenty good enough for SPFL but I do wonder if he is good enough at the highest level, both for Rangers and Scotland. The only way you find out is by being tested.

Yes I am similar. I think he can do a good job against certain opponents and does bring a bit of physical presence. Against the likes of Cyprus he can do a job for us but against the stronger nations I would be a little nervous. However, he has always done a good job for us so perhaps its Rangers defensive set-up and coaching that holds him back. Who knows?