Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier

er yir macaroon

marshall

hanley cooper tierney

fraser                                              robertson

mcgregor gilmour

mcginn

christie adams

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

marshall

hanley cooper tierney

fraser                                              robertson

mcgregor gilmour

mcginn

christie adams

Em.....

Why would Ryan Fraser be in that position?

Why would McGregor be ahead of McTominay?

Just now, Mickey The Brave said:

Em.....

Why would Ryan Fraser be in that position?

Why would McGregor be ahead of McTominay?

thought fraser looked good there against the faroes. we need to be more attacking as well and hes far too good a player for us to leave out.

mcgregor had a good tournament imo, thought he was excellent against england and hes been good against serbia and the netherlands as well. tbh i thought him and mcginn were better than gilmour in the england game.

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Marshall 

Patterson

Hanley McKenna 

Robertson

McTominay  Jack

McGinn    

Gilmour              

Tierney

Nisbet

I see what you're trying to do there...our strength is midfield, so pack the mid. with our best players and have one mobile striker up. Depends on how well Nisbet starts the season though I suppose.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

thought fraser looked good there against the faroes. we need to be more attacking as well and hes far too good a player for us to leave out.

mcgregor had a good tournament imo, thought he was excellent against england and hes been good against serbia and the netherlands as well. tbh i thought him and mcginn were better than gilmour in the england game.

McTominay, Robertson and Tierney are all a class above any of our other players. The three of them wouldn’t and shouldn’t be left out of any Scotland team.

Also, what’s required at home to the Faroes, is very different to what’s required away to Denmark, you must know that? Ryan Fraser responsible for the right-sided defensive duties away to a team ranked in the top 10 in the world? Come on.

24 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

McTominay, Robertson and Tierney are all a class above any of our other players. The three of them wouldn’t and shouldn’t be left out of any Scotland team.

Also, what’s required at home to the Faroes, is very different to what’s required away to Denmark, you must know that? Ryan Fraser responsible for the right-sided defensive duties away to a team ranked in the top 10 in the world? Come on.

we are already set up to be defensive, we need to be more attacking and i feel that fraser or forrest would provide that. o donnell is very limited and provides no ability to carry the ball forward and is generally slow overall. i thought forrest played well against the dutch so would be happy with him there. fraser and forrest are levels above of odonnell.

mctominay is decent but i think its more a case of getting played because of what club he plays for. if there is any injuries he can replace whoever is out but hes not certain starter for me.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

we are already set up to be defensive, we need to be more attacking and i feel that fraser or forrest would provide that. o donnell is very limited and provides no ability to carry the ball forward and is generally slow overall. i thought forrest played well against the dutch so would be happy with him there. fraser and forrest are levels above of odonnell.

mctominay is decent but i think its more a case of getting played because of what club he plays for. if there is any injuries he can replace whoever is out but hes not certain starter for me.

I’ll be surprised if Clarke continues with 3 at the back. He gambled on it for the playoffs and was forced to stick with it for the early qualifiers and Euros but now the tournament has come and gone he really needs to consider a formation that will help us win games rather than making us “hard to beat”. 

Playing Forrest or Fraser as a wing back should only be done as a last resort. Neither of those guys are defenders and playing them in that position is only asking for trouble against the better teams. 

Clarke clearly doesn’t trust his centre backs as he prefers to play midfielders and full backs in his back 3 so he should settle on a back 4 in my opinion. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Tierney’s appearances for Scotland revert to being sporadic at best given his history with injuries so Clarke won’t necessarily need to find a way to play him and Robertson in the same team which, let’s face it, is the only reason for using our current formation. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’ll be surprised if Clarke continues with 3 at the back. He gambled on it for the playoffs and was forced to stick with it for the early qualifiers and Euros but now the tournament has come and gone he really needs to consider a formation that will help us win games rather than making us “hard to beat”. 

Playing Forrest or Fraser as a wing back should only be done as a last resort. Neither of those guys are defenders and playing them in that position is only asking for trouble against the better teams. 

Clarke clearly doesn’t trust his centre backs as he prefers to play midfielders and full backs in his back 3 so he should settle on a back 4 in my opinion. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Tierney’s appearances for Scotland revert to being sporadic at best given his history with injuries so Clarke won’t necessarily need to find a way to play him and Robertson in the same team which, let’s face it, is the only reason for using our current formation. 

i wouldnt mind a 451 of

marshall

patterson  hanley cooper robertson

fraser       gilmour mcgregor    tierney

mcginn

adams

tierney has the ability to play the winger role and we can have fraser on the wing in that formation as well.

I think tierney will continue to turn up more often now what with the world cup qualifiers being important enough for him to bother his arse.

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

In the next set of games we have Denmark and Austria away. "Hard to beat" is what we need for those games. The Moldova game should take care of itself. If it doesn't then Clarke will be binned anyway. After that we will need to win every game to stand a chance of second place. That's when he needs to be much more adventurous. 

I think you could be right about players starting to pull out again, but I don't think Tierney will be the only one.

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He definitely needs to ditch it for certain games. We had more creativity on the bench than on the pitch in the euros. 

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

He definitely needs to ditch it for certain games. We had more creativity on the bench than on the pitch in the euros. 

Everyone always says midfield our strongest area

Yet we played euros with 3 midfielders

We need 5 in midfield 

One up top

Try and dominate the midfield like a modern side

We have the players for it

Gilmour Mcginn Mctominay mcgregor turnbull 

And Jack, mclean too

Tierney can play as a two with Hanley as did for second half v Israel 

Adams up top 

3 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We need 5 in midfield 

One up top

And Jack, mclean too

Adams up top 

Tierney as a central defender in a back three is a push. He’s certainly not a central defender in a back four, regardless of whether he’s ended up there halfway through a match on occasion.

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

In the next set of games we have Denmark and Austria away. "Hard to beat" is what we need for those games. The Moldova game should take care of itself. If it doesn't then Clarke will be binned anyway. After that we will need to win every game to stand a chance of second place. That's when he needs to be much more adventurous. 

I think you could be right about players starting to pull out again, but I don't think Tierney will be the only one.

Agreed but you can be hard to beat without playing 3 at the back. 

1 minute ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Tierney as a central defender in a back three is a push. He’s certainly not a central defender in a back four, regardless of whether he’s ended up there halfway through a match on occasion.

Cooper then 

Allowing Denmark or Austria to dominate the middle of the park equals elimination 

4 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We need 5 in midfield 

One up top

And Jack, mclean too

Adams up top 

Dominating the midfield is all very well but then there’s still no pace off the striker. The wing backs we have are just full backs - they can’t finish. 

I would like to see us going 1 up top with pace/finishers either side like Forrest/Fraser/Christie. Would mean going to a back 4 though. 

42 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

McTominay plays - very regularly - for Manchester United, because he is a good player. There’s a reason he plays for Man. Utd. and Callum McGregor plays for Celtic. It’s not luck or coincidence. Players tend to end up playing their club football at the level they should be at. 

A player who is good enough for Man. Utd. is obviously more than good enough for Scotland. We’re crying out for players of that quality in fact.

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Dominating the midfield is all very well but then there’s still no pace off the striker. The wing backs we have are just full backs - they can’t finish. 

I would like to see us going 1 up top with pace/finishers either side like Forrest/Fraser/Christie. Would mean going to a back 4 though. 

Fine

Thats still a midfield 5

Your modern 433 is really a 451

As 2 of the front  3 are always,  your christie/fraser/forrest  type player, attack minded midfielder 

13 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

McTominay plays - very regularly - for Manchester United, because he is a good player. There’s a reason he plays for Man. Utd. and Callum McGregor plays for Celtic. It’s not luck or coincidence. Players tend to end up playing their club football at the level they should be at. 

A player who is good enough for Man. Utd. is obviously more than good enough for Scotland. We’re crying out for players of that quality in fact.

Despite the fact that whatever he is supposed to be good at , we have never seen any evidence of it in a Scotland shirt.

2 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Despite the fact that whatever he is supposed to be good at , we have never seen any evidence of it in a Scotland shirt.

I don’t see that as a reason to drop him. Others may disagree. I’d always judge someone on their club performances throughout the season, rather than the odd international game here and there. Players who play at a much higher level than most of their international teammates are always going to come under the microscope more than most, but we are certainly not a good enough team to consider dropping someone who plays at that level.

The commentator in the Poland - Sweden game the other night said that some Poland fans complain that Lewandowski doesn’t replicate his club form, when he plays for Poland. I felt relieved that it’s not only our fans that come out with such nonsense! I would expect that a player would look better playing for Bayern Munich than they do for Poland. Equally, I’d expect that a player would look better playing for Manchester United, or Liverpool in Andy Robertson’s case, than they do for Scotland.

39 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

I don’t see that as a reason to drop him. Others may disagree. I’d always judge someone on their club performances throughout the season, rather than the odd international game here and there. Players who play at a much higher level than most of their international teammates are always going to come under the microscope more than most, but we are certainly not a good enough team to consider dropping someone who plays at that level.

The commentator in the Poland - Sweden game the other night said that some Poland fans complain that Lewandowski doesn’t replicate his club form, when he plays for Poland. I felt relieved that it’s not only our fans that come out with such nonsense! I would expect that a player would look better playing for Bayern Munich than they do for Poland. Equally, I’d expect that a player would look better playing for Manchester United, or Liverpool in Andy Robertson’s case, than they do for Scotland.

We have been here before. There have been many cases of us having players playing for big clubs who fail miserably in a Scotland shirt. It happens. Charlie Adam played for Liverpool and stank the place out in a Scotland top. Oli Burke came from Bundesliga's Red Bull Leipzig and flopped. By no means was Alan Hansen a mercurial success for Scotland despite playing for Liverpool. There have been other examples down through the years.

In short because a player plays for a big club is no guarantee of him starring for Scotland. McTominay was very disappointing in the tournament because expectations were so high.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We have been here before. There have been many cases of us having players playing for big clubs who fail miserably in a Scotland shirt. It happens. Charlie Adam played for Liverpool and stank the place out in a Scotland top. Oli Burke came from Bundesliga's Red Bull Leipzig and flopped. By no means was Alan Hansen a mercurial success for Scotland despite playing for Liverpool. There have been other examples down through the years.

In short because a player plays for a big club is no guarantee of him starring for Scotland. McTominay was very disappointing in the tournament because expectations were so high.

Mctominay is a good club footballer, I think Mcginn is better.  Both should play alone with jack and gilmour.  These four are our best midfielders.  I would play them in a diamond.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Unfortunately,hard to beat is the last thing you could call us at the moment.