Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier

er yir macaroon

Assuming an ideal pre-season and players are at their peak.

Marshall
Patterson 
Hanley 
Tierney
Robertson
Jack
Gilmour
McTominay
McGinn
Griffiths
Fraser

4-2-3-1

I’d like to see Gauld and Turnbull pushing these players for a starting spot. Tierney at centre half but against some sides I’d play Cooper or McKenna and push Tierney into midfield. Adams if Griffiths isn’t back to his best. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Marshall
Patterson 
Hanley 
Tierney
Robertson
Jack
Gilmour
McTominay
McGinn
Griffiths
Fraser

4-2-3-1

I’d like to see Gauld and Turnbull pushing these players for a starting spot. Tierney at centre half but against some sides I’d play Cooper or McKenna and push Tierney into midfield. Adams if Griffiths isn’t back to his best. 

Certainly Gauld should be replacing Armstrong I think. Other posters have explained why Tierney in a back four is a non-starter so I'd tweak that, maybe leaving McTom out for McGregor who was excellent in his last two games. McTom has not done anything of note for me in those games. Cooper would be a good partner for Hanley. As for Griffiths, we really do need to move on so unless he has a better start than Adams or Nisbet then I wouldn't pick him. Jack shows how much we need a proper defensive mid.

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Few teams internationally play with two up front so I would prefer Adams with McGinn and Fraser just behind. All depends on if we get good possession in midfield.

That’s it for me. Especially when having the 2 as Dykes & Adams doesn’t really seem to work. 

Something like a 3-4-2-1 

Marshall

Hendry Hanley Tierney

Patterson Gilmour McGregor Robertson

Fraser McGinn

Adams

Not too keen on Hendry but I think he’s getting better. I don’t think McTominay is all he’s cracked up to be.  Others in contention for above for me would be Jack and Forrest. 

4231/ 4411

Keeper

Patterson.hanley.cooper.robertson

Gilmour.mctominay

McGinn.turnbull.tierney

Adam's.

This would ensure that Tierney and robbo still link up. Plus mcginn and patterson on other side. With gilmour linking defense to midfield and turnbull midfield to attack.

This team would also ensure we are not overrun in midfield as it would be a 5 when defending plus wed have 2 to cover the wings. I felt during euros we got exposed wide and also in midfield due to lack of numbers.

I appreciate that mcginn and tierney are not normal to those positions but they are type of players who can play anywhere. These imo are all our best players and if fit get them all in team.

3 at back has worked to an extent but croatia shut it down quite easily and it meant our best chance of goal was long balls.

I really could not see that team getting dominated by anyone as we have cover everywhere plus ball players.

9 hours ago, gaz7 said:

4231/ 4411

Keeper

Gilmour.mctominay

McGinn.turnbull.tierney

Adam's.

This would ensure that Tierney and robbo still link up. Plus mcginn and patterson on other side. With gilmour linking defense to midfield and turnbull midfield to attack.

This team would also ensure we are not overrun in midfield as it would be a 5 when defending plus wed have 2 to cover the wings. I felt during euros we got exposed wide and also in midfield due to lack of numbers.

I appreciate that mcginn and tierney are not normal to those positions but they are type of players who can play anywhere. These imo are all our best players and if fit get them all in team.

3 at back has worked to an extent but croatia shut it down quite easily and it meant our best chance of goal was long balls.

I really could not see that team getting dominated by anyone as we have cover everywhere plus ball players.

I think with that formation we’d be harder to beat and more likely to score. Various other players could fit into that system, including Jack, Fraser, Gauld, Christie, Nisbet. 

gauld, gilmor, mctominay and mcginn in midfield is a mouth watering midfield, we have so many options, add jack,Fraser,turnbull and forrest to that and there is so many different types of teams we can play.. we are verging on having a top class midfield IMHO, a slight tweek in mentality is required 

12 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

gauld, gilmor, mctominay and mcginn in midfield is a mouth watering midfield, we have so many options, add jack,Fraser,turnbull and forrest to that and there is so many different types of teams we can play.. we are verging on having a top class midfield IMHO, a slight tweek in mentality is required 

The problem is we only play with three midfielders at the moment and they have to cover a huge area of the pitch. 

10 hours ago, gaz7 said:

4231/ 4411

Keeper

Gilmour.mctominay

McGinn.turnbull.tierney

Adam's.

I'd swap Tierney and McTominay. Allow McTominay a bit more freedom further forward. Tierney's defensive ability is more important and he's also shown he has the legs to burst forward, in which case one of the midfielders sit.

10 hours ago, gaz7 said:

4231/ 4411

Keeper

Gilmour.mctominay

McGinn.turnbull.tierney

Adam's.

I'd like to see Clarke become bold enough to try this, I agree that formation could provide enough cover at the back and would score more goals.

3 at the back is just not working for us. I think Tierney could play anywhere on the left hand side for us. 

Marshall/Gordon

Patterson Hanley Hendry robertson

Gilmour           mctom

Mcginn     Turnbull Tierney

Adams 

Goalkeeper will become a problem for us soon, we need a new goalie now. 

1 hour ago, Mickey The Brave said:

And suddenly everyone has dropped Stephen O’Donnell, just like that?

Thankfully, I would hope that Steve Clarke won‘t be quite as fickle as that.

We need to improve which im sure you will agree on. We have players playing at a relatively high level and imo not too far away. When we start being more of a threat and not looking as weak at back that will transfer itself to results.

Odonnell and all others who were not in my chosen team will have a part to play as they can slot in without  the way the team plays change.

At the minute if 1 big player drops out i.e tierney the whole dynamic changes and whilst 352 works against some teams the top teams can nullify it quite easily i feel.

odonnell,christie,fraser,dykes,mcgregor,armstrong,forrest,hendry,mckenna will all have parts to play plus maybe even mcburnie,burke,mclean.

That is 2 teams of not too bad but we need all our best players to play to get to the stage of once again troubling big countries which we have done before and we need to do again.

Nisbet is a better finisher than Adams or Dykes, he deserves a run out.

Patterson looked a big threat going forward in the 10 minutes we saw of him , you could still have O’Donnell as cover .

I would like to see Turnbull in as well as he creates and scores goals .

On 6/23/2021 at 7:29 PM, er yir macaroon said:

Marshall
Patterson 
Hanley 
Tierney
Robertson
Jack
Gilmour
McTominay
McGinn
Griffiths
Fraser

4-2-3-1

I hope I’m wrong but I’d be surprised if Griffiths kicks a ball for us again. 

Chuck in my 10p's worth

Marshall

Patterson Hanley Cooper Robertson

Mctominay Gilmour Tierney

2 attacking midfielders

Adams

Think it is best to see how Christie,Gauld McGinn Turnbull and Fraser are playing nearer the time before filling the remaining spots. 

The first two will probably move in the summer(maybe even McGinn) so I think we will be able to judge their ability better then. I think Christe is a far better player than he showed last term and a move might show this or he might end up warming a bench somewhere, either way we will find out.

Not going to make any friends but I don't think McGinn should be a guaranteed starter.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Chuck in my 10p's worth

Marshall

Patterson Hanley Cooper Robertson

Mctominay Gilmour Tierney

2 attacking midfielders

Adams

Think it is best to see how Christie,Gauld McGinn Turnbull and Fraser are playing nearer the time before filling the remaining spots. 

The first two will probably move in the summer(maybe even McGinn) so I think we will be able to judge their ability better then. I think Christe is a far better player than he showed last term and a move might show this or he might end up warming a bench somewhere, either way we will find out.

Not going to make any friends but I don't think McGinn should be a guaranteed starter.

I don’t think anyone should be guaranteed a start with the possible exception of Tierney. Robertson is obviously guaranteed a start as captain but if we do go back to a back 4 that might not always be the case. 

4 hours ago, p gala ta said:

Nisbet is a better finisher than Adams or Dykes, he deserves a run out.

Patterson looked a big threat going forward in the 10 minutes we saw of him , you could still have O’Donnell as cover .

I would like to see Turnbull in as well as he creates and scores goals .

Is Nisbet really that good a finisher? 

Not sure how to compare goals in different leagues but I would imagine it is a lot easier to score goals in the SPL than the EPL.