Scotland vs England: Match thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs England: Match thread

Taylor1996

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

True : though remember both sides get 10% official tickets. The rest of the tickets were a public ballot via UEFA (so Scot got equal chance for 80% of them).

But England hoovered up tickets knowing they had qualified. We didn’t qualify until November 2020.

Brave Scotland fan to pick a random Wembley game back in 2019 on the off chance it’s a Scotland game.

J

46 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Watching the 96 match on ITV4, our midfield three have to replicate the midfield trio of Collins, McAllister and McCall. 

Those three dominated the majority of that match.

Not an easy ask, when you consider that it was against Ince and Gascoigne.

I saw a clip of Craig Burley on Twitter earlier saying that when we beat England in '99 we did so by outplaying them and controlling the game.  That certainly tallies with my recollection of events too.

If my memory is still doing its job our midfield three that night was Burley, Collins and Barry Ferguson.  Collins and Ferguson were certainly capable of ditcating the tempo of a game in a way our few of our current midfielders are capable of, with the exception of Billy Gilmour.

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I saw a clip of Craig Burley on Twitter earlier saying that when we beat England in '99 we did so by outplaying them and controlling the game.  That certainly tallies with my recollection of events too.

If my memory is still doing its job our midfield three that night was Burley, Collins and Barry Ferguson.  Collins and Ferguson were certainly capable of ditcating the tempo of a game in a way our few of our current midfielders are capable of, with the exception of Billy Gilmour.

One of my biggest memory of that match was Kevin Keegan's head dipping deeper and deeper into his coat the more ths match went on. Also, David Beckham pushed so far back by our left wingback (McNamara?) that he was pretty much a 2nd right back.

It was a fantastic performance. Both were, actually. It's a damn shame that Lambert picked up an injury leading up to the playoffs. If Lambert was there, we would've won the tie.

Yeah. I think it was. And I agree about Collins and Ferguson. As much as I love McGinn, he isn't exactly a composed figure who will dictate play, same with McTominay. 

For that reason, Gilmour must start.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

For me it's about creating history tonight by beating them. I'm sick of the plucky Scotland tag and being proud of a loss.

England aren't that good, the task has been amplified because we lost to the Czech Rep but England aren't the superstars they are made out to be.

This 100%

No more glorious failures please, just go out and beat the bastards, if you’re not good enough, that’s fine, but just fire in and see what happens. 

Fuck them. 

44 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

One of my biggest memory of that match was Kevin Keegan's head dipping deeper and deeper into his coat the more ths match went on. Also, David Beckham pushed so far back by our left wingback (McNamara?) that he was pretty much a 2nd right back.

It was a fantastic performance. Both were, actually. It's a damn shame that Lambert picked up an injury leading up to the playoffs. If Lambert was there, we would've won the tie.

Yeah. I think it was. And I agree about Collins and Ferguson. As much as I love McGinn, he isn't exactly a composed figure who will dictate play, same with McTominay. 

Agree. And even less so is McGregor; I am dreading the possibility of him keeping Gilmour out, unless - unless - they could both play somehow?

This weather is bringing back bad memories: 1975 we lost 5-1. The weather was exactly like today and the tube drivers went on strike so teh fans had to walk back to London in the rain. We had a good team too - Dalglish, Jardine and McGrain were playing, but Keegan ran us ragged.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Aye, I mind wee Kev rocking the 'Smiffy from the Bash Street Kids' look in that game.  :lol:

Think it was Callum Davidson who played LWB in that game but aye, Beckham was a virtual spectator.

My memory has let me down though, it was Collins and Ferguson in midfield with Hutchinson playing just behind Dodds and McCann up front.

McGinn can play a quick forward pass that Collins was so good at but that's about the only similarity between the two.  Hopefully Gilmour starts, and shines.

25 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Agree. And even less so is McGregor; I am dreading the possibility of him keeping Gilmour out, unless - unless - they could both play somehow?

I saw a rumoured team that has them both playing.  It also featured O'Donnell and McTominay in defence.  😕

24 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Possibly. 

The main thing is that Gilmour starts. Back in the 90s team we had Collins, McAllister, Lambert (and McCall was awfully underrated - he could play a bit) but the current lot, only Gilmour can dictate the tempo. 

For me, the performance as well as the result hangs on the Gilmour decision. It sounds crazy saying that a match is hanging on a lad who has just turned 20, but he's a special talent.

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, I mind wee Kev rocking the 'Smiffy from the Bash Street Kids' look in that game.  :lol:

Think it was Callum Davidson who played LWB in that game but aye, Beckham was a virtual spectator.

My memory has let me down though, it was Collins and Ferguson in midfield with Hutchinson playing just behind Dodds and McCann up front.

McGinn can play a quick forward pass that Collins was so good at but that's about the only similarity between the two.  Hopefully Gilmour starts, and shines.

Lol!! I was actually thinking of that! Couldn't remember his name! Great minds. ;)

Sounds about right. And McNamara was a right back. It seems that I have an even worse memory. 

Ah. In fairness, you weren't far off. And what a player Hutchison was! He never had a bad game for us. Just one of those players.

McGinn always strikes me as a kid in the playground that has downed 10 double Espresso's and 5 Red Bulls before kick off. 😛

Yeah. Collins just oozed class.

hopefully. Hopefully he starts.

1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

Fuck.....  forgot how much I hate playing "them".  Part of me scared we get beat 3-0. However there is always the hope we get something out the game and talk about it for 25 years.

C'mon lads!

The feeling my friend is mutual 😘

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

This weather is bringing back bad memories: 1975 we lost 5-1. The weather was exactly like today and the tube drivers went on strike so teh fans had to walk back to London in the rain. We had a good team too - Dalglish, Jardine and McGrain were playing, but Keegan ran us ragged.

Your post made we watch that again on YouTube. We were actually really unlucky, goalkeeper apart. That game probably finished a few international careers, especially Stewart Kennedy's 😡

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Your post made we watch that again on YouTube. We were actually really unlucky, goalkeeper apart. That game probably finished a few international careers, especially Stewart Kennedy's 😡

My apologies for putting you through that. Yes, Kennedy never really recovered from that. 

Team's been leaked to the Sun allegedly:

Marshall

SOD---McTominay----Hanley-------Tierney-------Robertson

-----MacGregor----------Gilmour-------McGinn-----------

------------Dykes--------------Adams---------------

Like the look of it but still their fullbacks pushing up worries me.  Would love see Gilmour boss this though - come on wee man!

7 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Team's been leaked to the Sun allegedly:

Marshall

SOD---McTominay----Hanley-------Tierney-------Robertson

-----MacGregor----------Gilmour-------McGinn-----------

------------Dykes--------------Adams---------------

Like the look of it but still their fullbacks pushing up worries me.  Would love see Gilmour boss this though - come on wee man!

I’d be surprised if that’s the team but wouldn’t he unhappy if it was