Netherlands warm up game. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Netherlands warm up game.

er yir macaroon

More of a worrying thing is that, supposedly, there is a seven day incubation period before symptoms show. Now, of course, at present they are all fine and tested negative but will it mean ten days self-isolation which means they will all miss the Luxembourg game too?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It seems fairly pointless now and also highlights how stupid travelling so much pre tournament is. 

Little need for a break in the sun this training could have been done at Oriam, especially after the Czechs pulled out. 

I do agree to an extent with all the travelling. Did the Czechs not pull out when we were already in Spain? Its not the travel that's caused the problem though. Fleck is asymptomatic and brought it with him. The 6 players were all tested again this morning and all negative I've read. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

More of a worrying thing is that, supposedly, there is a seven day incubation period before symptoms show. Now, of course, at present they are all fine and tested negative but will it ean seven days self-isolation which means they will all miss the Luxembourg game too?

I don't think so as they were all cleared to play tonight but SFA chose an ultra cautious stance on it. 

48 minutes ago, shug macdiarmid said:

Mebbe a chance for Fraser to get much-needed game minutes, or perhaps Armstrong will get a try at wing-back as mooted by more than a few on here? He may go for Forrest though...

Fraser or Armstrong as wing back for 1 half each & Forrest behind Dykes or Nisbet sounds OK to me. 

So have the squad flew into Portugal only for this game & are heading back to the Spanish training camp afterwards? 

Seems that was the plan if some of the players didn't travel as a precaution. 

1 minute ago, bossman4 said:

I don't think so as they were all cleared to play tonight but SFA chose an ultra cautious stance on it. 

Hopefully so. It does open the door for greater opportunities for Turnbull, Forrest and Fraser. I think we should start with Turnbull tonight personally.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Back 4 and play tierney or Hendry at right back

Not for me against good opposition, back 4 only against weaker teams. Doubt it will happen but tonight could be a opportunity to try Tierney in a holding Midfield role. That would also give McKenna & Cooper both a chance to start. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Jesus what a howler half the team is ruled out. 

You’d think calling off the game and not travelling even more would be a good idea given what’s happened? 

My thoughts exactly. Flying to 3 different countries before a tournament seems excessive in normal times, nevermind during a pandemic.

One good thing is that the likes of Turnbull might get more valuable minutes to shine than he otherwise would have. But we are seriously depleted here. I don't really know how much benefit we'll really get out of this.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

My thoughts exactly. Flying to 3 different countries before a tournament seems excessive in normal times, nevermind during a pandemic.

One good thing is that the likes of Turnbull might get more valuable minutes to shine than he otherwise would have. But we are seriously depleted here. I don't really know how much benefit we'll really get out of this.

Travelling isn’t really an issue if Fleck caught the virus before he travelled. If the team had stayed at home Fleck would still have tested positive and the 6 players would probably still have been identified as close contacts. Or at least some other players would have. It sounds like the Spanish regulations aren’t as strict as ours so it might actually work out better that the team is over there and not in Scotland.

Travelling is safe if all protocols are followed. If it wasn’t the tournament couldn’t go ahead as teams are traveling all over Europe. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't really know how much benefit we'll really get out of this.

You get a heck of a lot.

1. It keeps the players active. Option is do nothing until the Euros start and have a team full of rusty players kicking their heels for a month after the season had ended.

2. The manager gets the chance to look at more options and how these options perform against top notch opposition.

3. It gives the chance for international experience for inexperienced players such as Turnbull and Nisbet who have none or very little.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You get a heck of a lot.

1. It keeps the players active. Option is do nothing until the Euros start and have a team full of rusty players kicking their heels for a month after the season had ended.

2. The manager gets the chance to look at more options and how these options perform against top notch opposition.

3. It gives the chance for international experience for inexperienced players such as Turnbull and Nisbet who have none or very little.

Exactly. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Travelling isn’t really an issue if Fleck caught the virus before he travelled. If the team had stayed at home Fleck would still have tested positive and the 6 players would probably still have been identified as close contacts. Or at least some other players would have. It sounds like the Spanish regulations aren’t as strict as ours so it might actually work out better that the team is over there and not in Scotland.

Travelling is safe if all protocols are followed. If it wasn’t the tournament couldn’t go ahead as teams are traveling all over Europe. 

Following protocols obviously should keep them safe, but it adds so many variables and chances for things to go wrong, or mistakes to be made.

Anyway, it's not just about the virus. Jetsetting around Europe pre-tournament seems mental. I'd rather have had us stay in 1 place for the weeks leading up to the tournament than going to 3 countries. 4 if you include England.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You get a heck of a lot.

I understand it from a footballing point of view. And the point of view of fringe players. But the biggest benefit would have been to test out the system with as close to a first team as possible. If we get beat tonight, we won't know if it was the system at fault or the personnel.

It is great for Turnbull (as I said) and the likes of Nesbit and McKenna. But I'd much rather have had all 26 guys gelling together in training leading up to the tournament. Now a 3rd of the team are all in different countries.

I really hope the 6 missing as a precaution can at least play vs Luxembourg.

3 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

With 75% of the UK received their first jab would have made sense to give all the players and staff at least one jab if they haven’t already.  

As the Vaccine is not available through the Private Sector yet in the UK, its not quite a good look at the moment for people to be "sipping" the line simply because they are going to be playing football this summer.

Assume that some members of the squad may have had it (remember the Vaccine only combats the symptoms, it does not actually stop you getting it and spreading it) but I doubt it will be many.

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

remember the Vaccine only combats the symptoms, it does not actually stop you getting it and spreading it) but I doubt it will be many.

Not strictly true. It protects most people from infection. Some small number of people still get infected (immune escape), the majority of whom are asymptomatic, but a vaccine is intended to stop infection, not to alleviate symptoms per se. 

10 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Not strictly true. It protects most people from infection. Some small number of people still get infected (immune escape), the majority of whom are asymptomatic, but a vaccine is intended to stop infection, not to alleviate symptoms per se. 

One of my dads friends, couple of weeks after he got his second jab him and his wife got tested after someone they were in contact with got it and showed up positive.

But yes, any players who are showing a positive test, are most lilely asymptomatic

Edited by wanderer

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

One of my dads friends, couple of weeks after he got his second jab him and his wife got tested after someone they were in contact with got it and showed up positive.

The vaccine takes three weeks to get the antibodies up to a protective level. As I say,  infection can still happen, but that is not how it is intended to function. 

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Im baffled  as they all tested negative; were they in contact with fleck or something? Why them?

I assume based on how much time they were in close contact with Fleck. Fear is that they're testing negative now but will be positive in a couple of days after the virus has established so right thing not to have them travel. 

Of course there's a good chance flecks test was a false positive in which case this is all a fuss about nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Im baffled  as they all tested negative; were they in contact with fleck or something? Why them?

Imagine just being a tad over cautious.

Someone will have sat close to Fleck on the flight from Glasgow and on the bus to the hotel, and in and around the hotel.

Chances are some of these players were not in Clarkes plans to start tonight (seems odd one keeper is missing when you would imagine the goalkeepers would have all been in close contact with each other more than any other players over the last week) and thought it was best to not take the risk that one of them might have it and spread it onward.

Imagine Fleck will be having a second test tomorrow, and if that comes back negative, then all players fly with the squad to Luxembourg at the end of the week (I suspect plans were to fly back to Spain after the game tonight(

Coooooooooooome onnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Teams out:-

Gordon

Hendry          Cooper       Tierney

Armstrong                                                                                                                             Robertson

Forrest                                McGregor

Turnbull

Dykes                             Christie