The news thread - Page 174 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

i take it your on 60% of the median income? "easy" is it?

It's easier to be classed as being poor because they have changed the definitions over the years. If the government gave every person in the country a £50K per year handout, we would still have a big chunk of the population classed as being in "relative poverty" simply based on how they define it.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spiv Sunak - who caused innumerable deaths by his eat out to help out scheme- taunts Nicola Sturgeon during his speech at the Tory Party conference and by doing so is clearly in contempt of Scottish courts during an ongoing investigation

NEW: Sunak on Scotland- “Nicola Sturgeon wanted to go down in the history books as the woman who broke up our country, but it now looks like she may go down for very different reasons".
Edited by Ally Bongo

4 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Laurence Fox and Reverend Calvin Robinson sacked by GB News ☺️☺️☺️

Dan Wootton remains suspended.

Hopefully it will be a hattrick of dismissals. 

Gone by Monday apparently 

43 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Laurence Fox and Reverend Calvin Robinson sacked by GB News ☺️☺️☺️

Dan Wootton remains suspended.

Hopefully it will be a hattrick of dismissals. 

Laurence Fox posted a video about vandalising ULEZ cameras and goaded the Police into arresting him

He then posted another video with the Police inside his house arresting him and had a rant about the Stasi

You have to laugh he is such a knob

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Laurence Fox posted a video about vandalising ULEZ cameras and goaded the Police into arresting him

He then posted another video with the Police inside his house arresting him and had a rant about the Stasi

You have to laugh he is such a knob

I forgot to even mention that.

Sacked and arrested in the same day 🤣

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Spiv Sunak - who caused innumerable deaths by his eat out to help out scheme- taunts Nicola Sturgeon during his speech at the Tory Party conference and by doing so is clearly in contempt of Scottish courts during an ongoing investigation

NEW: Sunak on Scotland- “Nicola Sturgeon wanted to go down in the history books as the woman who broke up our country, but it now looks like she may go down for very different reasons".

Was through at mum's earlier and she put the news on with the chatbot PM's speech. We are more together than ever apparently, reference to "our country" then a lame unnecessary Nicola Sturgeon gag. Cut to Andrew Bowie laughing and an interview with Douglas Ross in full Sunak boaby sook mode. Next item was about the by election and plenty anti SNP folk in the street. I couldn't get out the door quick enough. If Labour win this it's an onslaught of 'no appetite for independence' and god knows what follows from that. 

I thought Sunak did a pretty good job today at distancing himself from previous Tory administrations. Talk of taking tough decisions, being honest with voters, doing politics differently will go down well with the gullible. Also lots of bold ideas in contrast to the borefest that is Labour. Normal Tory trick of reinventing themselves, like they're somehow different from the previous bunch (even though he was Chancellor!). 

I don't want to dismiss the possibility but in spite of Sunak's performance I still can't see any great Tory revival. So it looks like it could be a Labour Government in Westminster next, and then what?

I'm no prophet but I suspect that Labour will only get one term and then what, or rather who? Have we seen the vultures in the wings waiting for Sunak's demise, Patel, Braverman, Badenoch, Mordaunt?

Dear Scotland, one of those (borderline fascists) could be your next Tory PM, are you 'Yes' yet? And if you are, what more could you do? What more could I do?

18 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Was through at mum's earlier and she put the news on with the chatbot PM's speech. We are more together than ever apparently, reference to "our country" then a lame unnecessary Nicola Sturgeon gag. Cut to Andrew Bowie laughing and an interview with Douglas Ross in full Sunak boaby sook mode. Next item was about the by election and plenty anti SNP folk in the street. I couldn't get out the door quick enough. If Labour win this it's an onslaught of 'no appetite for independence' and god knows what follows from that. 

Ross has boaby spoked every prime in recent years including Liz Truss. 🤮

17 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That whole beard shaving thing was ridiculous. I can understand the need for being clean shaven for wearing those masks but it is clear it was not discussed or implemented properly and resulted in this.

That said, am I reading this right, police officers went off sick because their kids didn’t know what they looked like without beards? Police officers ? People we are entrusting to deal with violent criminals are too stressed about how they look without a beard ? I must be missing something surely? I can completely understand  people who have had surgery on their face and are using a beard to cover the scars, but this does not read like that. 

General secretary David Kennedy told BBC Scotland News the situation could have been handled "a lot better".

'Far-reaching consequences'

He said: "They are extremely upset. They've had to go off sick because somebody had told them to shave, which sounds ridiculous but that's the reality of what happened.

"Right at the beginning we raised this and said there's some of our male colleagues whose families, kids don't even know what they look like without a beard and then you're asking them to change their appearance.

"It's got far-reaching consequences for them as an individual."

Mr Kennedy said he wants his members to be treated as people "not just a number".

It is understood that the four officers involved signed 90-day non-disclosure agreements about their settlements, which is why details have not emerged sooner.

46 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That whole beard shaving thing was ridiculous. I can understand the need for being clean shaven for wearing those masks but it is clear it was not discussed or implemented properly and resulted in this.

That said, am I reading this right, police officers went off sick because their kids didn’t know what they looked like without beards? Police officers ? People we are entrusting to deal with violent criminals are too stressed about how they look without a beard ? I must be missing something surely? I can completely understand  people who have had surgery on their face and are using a beard to cover the scars, but this does not read like that. 

General secretary David Kennedy told BBC Scotland News the situation could have been handled "a lot better".

He said: "They are extremely upset. They've had to go off sick because somebody had told them to shave, which sounds ridiculous but that's the reality of what happened.

"Right at the beginning we raised this and said there's some of our male colleagues whose families, kids don't even know what they look like without a beard and then you're asking them to change their appearance.

Mr Kennedy said he wants his members to be treated as people "not just a number".

It is understood that the four officers involved signed 90-day non-disclosure agreements about their settlements, which is why details have not emerged sooner.

It does sound ridiculous on face value (sorry about the pun). I wonder if it's a religious thing, Sikh or Muslim officers, or some disfigurement otherwise it's difficult to see how shaving off your beard justifies a £15k payout.

47 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It does sound ridiculous on face value (sorry about the pun). I wonder if it's a religious thing, Sikh or Muslim officers, or some disfigurement otherwise it's difficult to see how shaving off your beard justifies a £15k payout.

Yes, if it was religious or disfigurement I could certainly understand. My brother in law had cancer of the mouth and his face was disfigured  after removing the tumour, so he grew a beard . But this article doesn’t suggest this, you would think they would have highlighted more serious reasons. Maybe its just badly worded or important information omitted for some reason .  I would be a bit concerned if a police officer was traumatised about something as petty as shaving off their beard 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Yeah without more information it all sounds ridiculous. 

“However, concerns were raised about the equality impact of the policy on LGBT and other officers.

Assistant Chief Constable Alan Speirs, who announced the plans, said there would have been some exemptions.

The Scottish Police Federation supported the four officers, who took legal action on the grounds of sex and disability discrimination.”

Unless the disability part covers some of that?

14 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

What a fucking warped world we live in. 

I thought this would be the appropriate place to out this since it's headline news 

Kevin Keegan has upset a lot of people by saying he has a problem with some women pundits talking about the men's game.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I thought this would be the appropriate place to out this since it's headline news 

Kevin Keegan has upset a lot of people by saying he has a problem with some women pundits talking about the men's game.

He has a point, men's and women's games are played at different speeds, physicality and technique, then again I have a problem with a lot of men pundits talking about the men's game.

28 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

He has a point, men's and women's games are played at different speeds, physicality and technique, then again I have a problem with a lot of men pundits talking about the men's game.

Pretty much how I feel 😆 

1 hour ago, RDFH64 said:

Not sure how the speeds affect a woman suggesting what she would have done differently . If it was a man against a woman yes, but surely like for like makes no difference ? 
What do I know right enough , I am a woman 😉

He is a fookin 1970’a dinosaur. His language alone tells you,  for example  ‘ some of the girls are good ’.