The news thread - Page 172 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to ask what the fuck made him do it ?

Wanton vandalism is one thing - but humphing some sort of chainsaw to do it is malice aforethought

Maybe he has had a family breakdown and the tree meant something in that regard

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

All this fuss over one tree when tens of millions are getting chopped down everyday and most folk couldn't give a fuk.

That's a fair point and I understand your point, but Sycamore Gap was not one tree amongst hundreds, thousands or millions; it stood in isolation and in a unique position.

The reason so many people are upset/angered is because it appears to be an act of vandalism by an ars*h*le and people are connecting that with the general demise of respect in society with the increase in anti-social behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

That's a fair point and I understand your point, but Sycamore Gap was not one tree amongst hundreds, thousands or millions; it stood in isolation and in a unique position.

The reason so many people are upset/angered is because it appears to be an act of vandalism by an ars*h*le and people are connecting that with the general demise of respect in society with the increase in anti-social behaviour.

Particularly poignant when it happens coinciding with the State of Nature report about the poor state of flora and fauna in Britain. It is a one off incident of one particular very famous and much loved tree. It seems such a shocking, senseless act of vandalism symbolic of much else that is happening in the British Isles.

It's also indicative of the sense of self importance that exists amongst the population of the UK. They seem to think that "their tree" is much more important than the total vandalism which is destroying forests all over the world. Just so that they can go for a shopping day out to IKEA. 

Reverend Calvin Robinson is the third GBNews presenter to be suspended this week; following the suspensions of Laurence Fox and Dan Wootton.

Something I've never understood; if Reverend Calvin Robinson is a man of God, why is he so unkind? Jesus would have hated Robinson.

As for Fox and Wootton... They're just dreadful people.

13 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Reverend Calvin Robinson is the third GBNews presenter to be suspended this week; following the suspensions of Laurence Fox and Dan Wootton.

Something I've never understood; if Reverend Calvin Robinson is a man of God, why is he so unkind? Jesus would have hated Robinson.

Neil Oliver next?

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Obvious don't know too much about the circumstances but I would have been slightly concerned as a parent if my 16 year old had snuck out at night with a chainsaw.

He might be a trainee lumberjack and just wanted some practice? I could have cut down that tree at 16, and I knew loads of other folk who could have done the same.

44 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Probably worth pointing out that there are some secondary schools that have a larger number of pupils on roll than members of the church to which he belongs.

The tree cutter wasn’t working alone . Did you see how clean that was. Were it my 16 year old did that , I suggest a job with the forestry or local councils. 
still, the bbc , Sky, GBeebies, guardian, mirror, scum, heil, express have all devoted their day to promoting this story of radical sycamore coppicing. 

39 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

The tree cutter wasn’t working alone . Did you see how clean that was. Were it my 16 year old did that , I suggest a job with the forestry or local councils. 
still, the bbc , Sky, GBeebies, guardian, mirror, scum, heil, express have all devoted their day to promoting this story of radical sycamore coppicing. 

Anybody who knows how to use a chainsaw could have done that by themself. Easy

On 9/29/2023 at 2:50 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Eddie Howe got asked about this at a news conference, express his disappointment etc. I'm telling at TV reminding him the club he manages is owned by the Saudis who literally chop off people's heads!

Front page of one of the awful newspapers caught my eye earlier. I normally try to ignore them but one was trumpeting "Rishi rescues Scottish overlooked towns with 20m" or some such tripe. Overlooked by who?? 20m sounds a lot without any context as usual. Zetland park in Grangemouth cost £22m to regenerate so not sure 20m over 10 years will stretch very far. It was reported last year that his wife saves 20m in tax with her nom dom status so that figure must have been plucked from the back of his mind somewhere. 🙄