Ryan Gauld - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld

Taylor1996

Essentially, Steve Clarke is saying that a good season (Turnbull and Nisbet) in the SPL has more clout than an amazing season in the Portugese Primeira Liga. 

Absolute madness.

Not even going to go into the whole Nathan Patterson thing 

Forrest being included is bizarre. 

Edited by Taylor1996

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Essentially, Steve Clarke is saying that a good season (Turnbull and Nisbet) in the SPL has more clout than an amazing season in the Portugese Primeira Liga. 

Absolute madness.

Not even going to go into the whole Nathan Patterson thing 

Forrest being included is bizarre. 

Not really, as you are talking two totally different positions.

Patterson is in as a straight swap for Palmer (so no bearing in Gauld) and Nibet has not lost his place from last squad, but is viewed as a better option than Griffiths and Shankland.

What Clarke said at his conference is we do not have enough injury concerns in the position Gauld would be coming in to fill for, and that is simply it.

If Fraser was to pull out, or Armstrong or McGinn get injured, then Gauld comes into getting a call up, but at the moment we need to replace like for like with the two main missing players (Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean).... looks like he will move McTamoinay forward in place of the missing jack, so that means he needs cover at the back suddenly (hence Cooper and/or Hendry have found themselves in the finals squad).

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Not really, as you are talking two totally different positions.

Patterson is in as a straight swap for Palmer (so no bearing in Gauld) and Nibet has not lost his place from last squad, but is viewed as a better option than Griffiths and Shankland.

What Clarke said at his conference is we do not have enough injury concerns in the position Gauld would be coming in to fill for, and that is simply it.

If Fraser was to pull out, or Armstrong or McGinn get injured, then Gauld comes into getting a call up, but at the moment we need to replace like for like with the two main missing players (Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean).... looks like he will move McTamoinay forward in place of the missing jack, so that means he needs cover at the back suddenly (hence Cooper and/or Hendry have found themselves in the finals squad).

We only really need two out and out strikers In the squad, as we only usually play with one.

Gauld can play either attacking midfield or second striker. So I'd say that Turnbull, Fraser, Forrest, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie are all ahead of him in Steve Clarke's head.

I disagree. After the season that Gauld has had, he's top of my list.

Fraser has tooked, Forrest has missed most of the season, Christie hasn't been that great. So saying all that, I'm even more baffled.

I have no complaints about Patterson being picked. I haven't seen him playing for Rangers, but it seems like most people want him in... that's good enough for me.

Edited by Taylor1996

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Gauld can play either attacking midfield or second striker. So I'd say that Turnbull, Fraser, Forrest, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie are all ahead of him in Steve Clarke's head.

And if all of them are fit and on form, then its a no contest.

Agree that Christie is off form in a big way, but there was never a real possibility that Clarke would drop him.... Fraser we need to wait and see (sound of things Clarke is taking anything Bruce has to say with a pinch of salt and will let the Scotland medics make the call).

I think Gaulds best "hope" is all down to Fraser, as I would imagine he would be one of the favorites to be called up if needed.

Fact Clarke mentioned Gauld and explained situation says to me that he is on his radar, but just at the moment there is no need for him.

Edited by wanderer

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

And if all of them are fit and on form, then its a no contest.

Agree that Christie is off form in a big way, but there was never a real possibility that Clarke would drop him.... Fraser we need to wait and see (sound of things Clarke is taking anything Bruce has to say with a pinch of salt and will let the Scotland medics make the call).

I think Gaulds best "hope" is all down to Fraser, as I would imagine he would be one of the favorites to be called up if needed.

Fact Clarke mentioned Gauld and explained situation says to me that he is on his radar, but just at the moment there is no need for him.

I don't think Fraser is going to be ready. He's just after a going operation and there's every chance of a flare up if he's rushed back.

Most other managers named a backup player list. I'm sure Clarke has on his table.

Generally, I'm happy with the squad. Delighted that Gilmour is in. A few training sessions in front of Clarke and he'll be the first name on the team sheet.

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

My fear is we do an Ireland 2012, defend deep every game, barely get a shot on target and lose convincingly 3 times. 

I’m a right cheery bastard though 

Sometimes the opposition don't give you a lot of option. We shouldn't forget that two of the teams we are playing were 2nd and 4th at the World Cup only three years ago. If we can beat the Czech Rep in the first game then I would be happy to take a point off either of the other two, no matter how we get it. 

Edited by Orraloon

27 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

We only really need two out and out strikers In the squad, as we only usually play with one.

I disagree. After the season that Gauld has had, he's top of my list.

Fraser has tooked, Forrest has missed most of the season, Christie hasn't been that great. So saying all that, I'm even more baffled.

I have no complaints about Patterson being picked. I haven't seen him playing for Rangers, but it seems like most people want him in... that's good enough for me.

You may disagree but Clarke picks the squad. 

Clarke obviously doesn’t rate Gauld as highly as you do so you’ll just need to accept it until you are appointed Scotland manager or Clarke picks Gauld which I’m sure he will at some point if he continues his good form. 

Personally, I would have given Gauld a chance and at least had a look at him up close in training in Portugal but I’m willing to concede that Clarke knows better than me when it comes to picking his squad. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You may disagree but Clarke picks the squad. 

Clarke obviously doesn’t rate Gauld as highly as you do so you’ll just need to accept it until you are appointed Scotland manager or Clarke picks Gauld which I’m sure he will at some point if he continues his good form. 

Personally, I would have given Gauld a chance and at least had a look at him up close in training in Portugal but I’m willing to concede that Clarke knows better than me when it comes to picking his squad. 

Yes. But this is a posting board. If no one post their opinion then it's going to be completely empty.

Let's not paint Steve Clarke as Sir Alex Ferguson. (SAF still made mistakes) Just because this is his provisional squad doesnt mean he's right. 

Picking Nisbet, Forrest and Fraser over Gauld Is nothing about talent. It's about loyalty.

However, picking Turnbull over Gauld is unfathomable. 

Edited by Taylor1996

28 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yes. But this is a posting board. If no one post their opinion then it's going to be completely empty.

Let's not paint Steve Clarke as Sir Alex Ferguson. (SAF still made mistakes) Just because this is his provisional squad doesnt mean he's right. 

Picking Nisbet, Forrest and Fraser over Gauld Is nothing about talent. It's about loyalty.

However, picking Turnbull over Gauld is unfathomable. 

Absolutely, it’s all about opinions. You appear to think you are right and Clarke is wrong though. Neither of you are wrong but I know whose judgement I’d rather go with.

Being unable to concede that a professional football manager’s opinion is likely to be a bit more valid than yours when it comes to picking players is what’s fathomable to me. 

Edited by Texas Pete

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely, it’s all about opinions. You appear to think you are right and Clarke is wrong though. Neither of you are wrong but I know whose judgement I’d rather go with.

Being unable to concede that a professional football manager’s opinion is likely to be a bit more valid than yours when it comes to picking players is what’s fathomable to me. 

Ask most people attached to Portugese football and ask them if Gauld should be in or not.

I've watched Gauld about 15 times this season. He would be in my first XI.

You seem to have a problem with people expressing their opinion. Yesterday you scalded someone for talking about English players (we're playing England) and now you're asking me if I think my opinion has more credibility than Steve Clarke's.

Just do you.

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

Ask most people attached to Portugese football and ask them if Gauld should be in or not.

I've watched Gauld about 15 times this season. He would be in my first XI.

You seem to have a problem with people expressing their opinion. Yesterday you scalded someone for talking about English players (we're playing England) and now you're asking me if I think my opinion has more credibility than Steve Clarke's.

Just do you.

Most people attached to Portuguese football will know next to fuck all about our other players and would not be in a position to say whether Gauld should be in our squad or not. 

Do you mean scolded? I did no such thing. I politely advised a fellow poster that this is a forum about Scotland, not England and that  we should stick to matters related to the Scotland national team and its supporters. 

If you and/or the ‘England supporter” have an issue with that then I really don’t care. As you are so fond of pointing out, we are all entitled to our opinions.  

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Most people attached to Portuguese football will know next to fuck all about our other players and would not be in a position to say whether Gauld should be in our squad or not. 

Do you mean scolded? I did no such thing. I politely advised a fellow poster that this is a forum about Scotland, not England and that  we should stick to matters related to the Scotland national team and its supporters. 

If you and/or the ‘England supporter” have an issue with that then I really don’t care. As you are so fond of pointing out, we are all entitled to our opinions.  

Their league is better than ours. My guess is that he'll be on the shortlist to win the Premiera Liga player of the year.

Politely? You said that he was talking "drivel".

Then for some reason you went all "you're going to ruin another thread". That well has run dry. And it's a complete misnomer. 

Anyway.

Ryan Gauld should be in the squad.

The end.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Their league is better than ours. My guess is that he'll be on the shortlist to win the Premiera Liga player of the year.

Politely? You said that he was talking "drivel".

Then for some reason you went all "you're going to ruin another thread". That well has run dry. And it's a complete misnomer. 

Anyway.

Ryan Gauld should be in the squad.

The end.

Well he isn’t so get over it. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Well he isn’t so get over it. 

He might still sneak in if we get another injury. (Not that I would ever wish an injury on a Scotland player) Or if Fraser doesnt make it.

Hopefully Gauld is picked going forward. 

Just think it's a shame. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He might still sneak in if we get another injury. (Not that I would ever wish an injury on a Scotland player) Or if Fraser doesnt make it.

Hopefully Gauld is picked going forward. 

Just think it's a shame. 

That is true. I wouldn’t be surprised if we do pick up some injuries this weekend or in our training camp or warm up matches.

Let’s get one thing straight though - Ryan Gauld is not Ronaldo. He’s a decent player but would he add to the squad significantly? Probably not. Would he be a decent addition? More than likely but is he actually better than the guys we have? It would be interesting to see how he does in one of the top leagues (which the Portuguese league is not one of). I dare say Stuart Armstrong could go over to Portugal and impress in that league.  

If I was the Scotland manager I think I would probably have him in the squad but I’m not. Clarke obviously prefers the players he has picked and that’s up to him. He is lpaid to make these decisions and we’ll just need to back the players he has selected. 

If Gauld is as good as you think he is then he’ll get a move to a bigger/better club and Clarke will have to look at him again. 

It’s a shame he isn’t in but we can’t complain with the squad. 

Greg Taylor is lucky to be in really - his place could be taken by someone else, like Gauld. But he does give cover if Tierney is used as a CB. 

Good squad and Gauld just needs to stay ready for a call up later in the year. 

14 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It’s a shame he isn’t in but we can’t complain with the squad. 

Greg Taylor is lucky to be in really - his place could be taken by someone else, like Gauld. But he does give cover if Tierney is used as a CB. 

Good squad and Gauld just needs to stay ready for a call up later in the year. 

Agreed, I like Gauld ( especially in the early days at Dundee united) but starring in a struggling Portuguese team is no benchmark for national team finals competition. Don't think the Portuguese league, outside the top 4, is that much better than the Scottish PL anyway.  I could be cynical here and put Gauld on a par with Kyle Lafferty at Killie but I wont, he is better than that. Let Gauld get his transfer in summer, establish himself in wherever he goes then Clarke will come calling. 

He might look back on this omission as a positive contribution to his career. 

I was hoping for Gauld, but the reason Turnbull is in over him makes sense to me - Turnbull plays along with others in the Scotland squad at Celtic; so there is some chemistry and familiarity among them.  I understand that bonds shall form in the training camp but there is no substitute for time.  Fraser plays predominantly wide, Christie can play central and wide, McGinn - probably the closest competitor in terms of versatility and position to Gauld along with Turnbull so for me - it has come down to familiarity with him and others in the squad, along with his impressive form.  Where does Gauld go from here?  Hopefully Champions League next year then its two from McGinn, Turnbull and Gauld who we will see in the future.  Taking from another part of the field to cater for him(Gauld) doesn't seem wise especially with Jack and McLean out.   Others may disagree but for me I understand Clarke's decision making.  

Edited by romanticscot

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Sometimes the opposition don't give you a lot of option. We shouldn't forget that two of the teams we are playing were 2nd and 4th at the World Cup only three years ago. If we can beat the Czech Rep in the first game then I would be happy to take a point off either of the other two, no matter how we get it. 

Yes, me too. I just want us to play well and see where it takes us. None of this target setting. Though I think it about time that we convincingly beat a nation above us, just like Wales did in beating Belgium 3-1 in 2016.

52 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I was hoping for Gauld, but the reason Turnbull is in over him makes sense to me - Turnbull plays along with others in the Scotland squad at Celtic; so there is some chemistry and familiarity among them.  I understand that bonds shall form in the training camp but there is no substitute for time.  Fraser plays predominantly wide, Christie can play central and wide, McGinn - probably the closest competitor in terms of versatility and position to Gauld along with Turnbull so for me - it has come down to familiarity with him and others in the squad, along with his impressive form.  Where does Gauld go from here?  Hopefully Champions League next year then its two from McGinn, Turnbull and Gauld who we will see in the future.  Taking from another part of the field to cater for him(Gauld) doesn't seem wise especially with Jack and McLean out.   Others may disagree but for me I understand Clarke's decision making.  

Think that's a pretty good reasoning tbh.