Ryan Gauld - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld

Taylor1996

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Most of our players aren't going to win much in the way of trophies unless they're at the OF or one of England's top teams. That rules out the majority of the current squad.

The argument was you said clarkes choices were unambitious and he sticks with journeymen. He doesn't, in some instances he didn't or still doesn't have a choice. 

Sorry but of course he has choices. There are Patterson, Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull waiting in the wings. Gilmour and Turnbull will get in the squad now due only to injuries and the increased squad size. Turnbull should even have been in out last squad but wasn't which sums up the unambitious selections I speak of. And Gauld has not been looked at either whilst several others have been repeatedly selected and repeatedly done nothing of note.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but of course he has choices. There are Patterson, Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull waiting in the wings. Gilmour and Turnbull will get in the squad now due only to injuries and the increased squad size. Turnbull should even have been in out last squad but wasn't which sums up the unambitious selections I speak of. And Gauld has not been looked at either whilst several others have been repeatedly selected and repeatedly done nothing of note.

Turnbull has had a half good season but he is now in the frame for a call up

Patterson wasnt a choice for Clarke until now because he was back up and even now its highly debatable whether he should be called up or not. I would call him up because we have a lack of options but I understand why others wouldn't but this again does not mean Clarkes choices are unambitious. 

whilst several others have been repeatedly selected and repeatedly done nothing of note. Who?

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Such as Fleck, McBurnie, Burke, Taylor and Palmer.

From what's being said this morning I would say the only one of that 5 that will defo be in the squad is Fleck. Palmer seems to be fighting with Patterson for the 2nd right back spot. I suspect Taylor will be sacrificed to make way for Forrest as given the injury doubt of Fraser, Forrest it cert I would say.

2 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

From what's being said this morning I would say the only one of that 5 that will defo be in the squad is Fleck. Palmer seems to be fighting with Patterson for the 2nd right back spot. I suspect Taylor will be sacrificed to make way for Forrest as given the injury doubt of Fraser, Forrest it cert I would say.

Granted. However, I'd hazard a good bet that without injuries McBurnie and maybe even Burke would have been in if fit.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

I thought “journeyman” was harsh.  Journeymen play for Hamilton Accies, Morton and Ayr Utd. Anyone that’s anywhere near the current Scotland squad is an elite player by virtually any measure. 

everybody has there own view on what journeyman means. i would say we usually have about 7 or 8(maybe more) players in our squad who could be considered journeyman. guys like nisbet, mclaughlin, dykes, gallagher, odonnell, palmer, burke, taylor. those guys i have listed are what i would regard as journeymen although some of them are still young enough and talented enough to move up a level like dykes and nisbet. 

Edited by mccaughey85

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

everybody has there own view on what journeyman means. i would say we usually have about 7 or 8(maybe more) players in our squad who could be considered journeyman. guys like nisbet, mclaughlin, dykes, gallagher, odonnell, palmer, burke, taylor. those guys i have listed are what i would regard as journeymen although some of them are still young enough and talented enough to move up a level like dykes and nisbet. 

Fair enough.

Appreciate Clarke's cautious and that nobody is going to care one iota if we somehow squeak 4+ points parking the bus who is in the squad.  However, it's a thin line between that and just turning up, offering little and buggering off home again.  Unless I'm misreading it the WC qualifiers are more pressure for Clarke than this tournament as it's almost a shot to nothing how we qualified.  

It's a tightrope but I'd rather we had a go, gave Gilmour some minutes, got another youngster or two around the squad and looked to build something from it into the WC qualifiers.  There'd be more green shoots from that if we fail to qualify than if we pack the arse end of the squad with players unlikely to make the next squads medium term.   

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Appreciate Clarke's cautious and that nobody is going to care one iota if we somehow squeak 4+ points parking the bus who is in the squad.  However, it's a thin line between that and just turning up, offering little and buggering off home again.  Unless I'm misreading it the WC qualifiers are more pressure for Clarke than this tournament as it's almost a shot to nothing how we qualified.  

It's a tightrope but I'd rather we had a go, gave Gilmour some minutes, got another youngster or two around the squad and looked to build something from it into the WC qualifiers.  There'd be more green shoots from that if we fail to qualify than if we pack the arse end of the squad with players unlikely to make the next squads medium term.   

Agreed and is sort of the point I was trying to make.

Persevere with ageing squad players in favour of up and coming youngsters who have a future and would improve our squad is a route to go that takes us nowhere in the long-term.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

My fear is we do an Ireland 2012, defend deep every game, barely get a shot on target and lose convincingly 3 times. 

I’m a right cheery bastard though 

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

My fear is we do an Ireland 2012, defend deep every game, barely get a shot on target and lose convincingly 3 times. 

I’m a right cheery bastard though 

The big difference is Ireland didn’t play at home in two of those games. 

OK so Hampden won’t be full but surely it will make some sort of difference?

The Czechs are a decent team but not world beaters and Croatia are a shadow of the side that reached the World Cup final in 2018 (although I wouldn’t put it past them turning it on in this tournament).

Beat the Czechs and draw with the Croatians and we’re through. Easy as that. 😂

The England game will take care of itself (whatever that actually means).  

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The big difference is Ireland didn’t play at home in two of those games. 

OK so Hampden won’t be full but surely it will make some sort of difference?

The Czechs are a decent team but not world beaters and Croatia are a shadow of the side that reached the World Cup final in 2018 (although I wouldn’t put it past them turning it on in this tournament).

Beat the Czechs and draw with the Croatians and we’re through. Easy as that. 😂

The England game will take care of itself (whatever that actually means).  

All valid points but that Israel away performance is still lingering so I’d be lying if I was positive at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I assume you are happy with this squad?

Gauld may not be there but Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull are. Gauld can count himself unlucky but thats a bloody good squad in my opinion

22 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

All valid points but that Israel away performance is still lingering so I’d be lying if I was positive at the moment. 

All previous performances can be discounted in my opinion. This is a major finals and we have 2 games at home. New territory for all of our players. 

If the team can’t get up for this then they are in the wrong profession. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

All previous performances can be discounted in my opinion. This is a major finals and we have 2 games at home. New territory for all of our players. 

If the team can’t get up for this then they are in the wrong profession. 

It’s the tactics that concerned me the most that night. 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s the tactics that concerned me the most that night. 

Clarke appears to have a blind spot when it comes to Israel. He keeps doing the same thing against them which doesn’t work. 

Thankfully we won’t be playing Israel next month by although I have no doubt we’ll struggle against them later in the year regardless of what happens at the Euros. 

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

Sorry if some of us would rather go into the tournament with our best, in-form players.  Novel concept I know.

You think I don't? 

Saying its an.absokute fucking joke is way OTT

14 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Forrest in after hardly playing for a sh*te Celtic team but no Gauld who's been turning it on all season in a far superior league???

Sorry, but that's a joke.  An absolute fkin JOKE.  🤬🤬🤬

Are you more qualified than Clarke to make these decisions? 

I would have selected Gauld myself but not at the expense of Forrest. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you more qualified than Clarke to make these decisions? 

I would have selected Gauld myself but not at the expense of Forrest. 

Obviously I'm not but the team will be playing a couple of friendlies in Portugal and we've got a guy over there who's been getting rave reviews.  FFS what would be the harm in at least having a look at him?

As for Forrest... hardly back from injury and playing in an awful Celtic side.  Not sure what the justification is for his inclusion?

I think calling up Gauld and Turnbull was extremely unlikely, and I'm a bit sad for Gauld. I reckon a big factor for Turnbull was he plays regular with Christie, Forrest and McGregor. McGinn was undropable and Christie can be versatile where he plays so it was one or the other out of Gauld and Turnbull. I would have preferred Gauld was in over Fleck but understand with no Jack and McLean it was risky even with Gilmour. I personally would have called up a larger provisional squad and still looked at both however this doesn't surprise me how Clarke has handled it 

19 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Obviously I'm not but the team will be playing a couple of friendlies in Portugal and we've got a guy over there who's been getting rave reviews.  FFS what would be the harm in at least having a look at him?

As for Forrest... hardly back from injury and playing in an awful Celtic side.  Not sure what the justification is for his inclusion?

I don’t disagree regarding Gauld as I would have picked him as well but Clarke has obviously decided that he prefers other players in that position. That’s his choice. He possibly doesn’t want to mess players around by having them in a provisional squad and then dropping them. 

Apart from the fact we wouldn’t even be at this tournament if it wasn’t for Forrest? OK so that possibly shouldn’t come into it but loyalty probably does play some part. 

Forrest has featured in Celtic’s last 3 matches and has played at least an hour in 2 of them and played very well against St Johnstone by all accounts. He has almost 4 weeks and 2 friendlies to work on his fitness (if it is still an issue) so I’m sure he’ll be fine for June.