Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

Just now, vanderark14 said:

The little I have seen of Patterson reminds me of Tierney, he wants to get forward and he's brimming with confidence. We have nothing to lose IMO

Bombing forward is all very well but he’d still need to defend and if he’s playing as a wing back he won’t have the same protection than if he was playing in a back 4. Could leave whoever is at right CB badly exposed if he doesn’t find the right balance. 

I’m probably just looking for problems where there aren’t any to be fair.  I think we all know Clarke will probably start with O’Donnell anyway. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Bombing forward is all very well but he’d still need to defend and if he’s playing as a wing back he won’t have the same protection than if he was playing in a back 4. Could leave whoever is at right CB badly exposed if he doesn’t find the right balance. 

I’m probably just looking for problems where there aren’t any to be fair.  I think we all know Clarke will probably start with O’Donnell anyway. 

You make a good point but players can be taught to cover, if the wing back is going forward a midfielder can cover if required they can shift as a unit to form a back 4 to cover. As long as they all know their jobs, there should be no problem with paterson boming forward.

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The two sitting midfielders are there to screen and cover across when a wing back goes forward.

From Patterson’s Euro performances you can’t see he excels at tracking back and cover tackling also. 

Once Clarke sees him in training it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a start this Euros 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You make a good point but players can be taught to cover, if the wing back is going forward a midfielder can cover if required they can shift as a unit to form a back 4 to cover. As long as they all know their jobs, there should be no problem with paterson boming forward.

Yeah there’s no reason why he can’t play there but I’d rather he had a good bit of practice at it first rather than doing it for the first time at a major finals. 

We do have the warm up games to be fair although playing against Luxembourg probably isn’t the best preparation for the level of opponents we’ll face at the tournament. 

Will certainly be interesting to see what Clarke does in the two friendlies. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

The two sitting midfielders are there to screen and cover across when a wing back goes forward.

From Patterson’s Euro performances you can’t see he excels at tracking back and cover tackling also. 

Once Clarke sees him in training it wouldn’t surprise me if he got a start this Euros 

Of course but it’s easier to get caught out of position if you’re attacking more than you’re used to. Not that I suspect we’ll be ragdolling any teams next month. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Will certainly be interesting to see what Clarke does in the two friendlies. 

I think he'll go with a strong side V Netherlands close to our starting line-up in our Euro opener. In the Luxembourg match you will see changes and perhaps starts for Gilmour and Turnbull and sub appearance from Patterson.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Squad details:-

Average Age = 26.84 years per player

Average Caps per player = 17.23

Average Goals per outfield player = 1.43

EPL Clubs = 10 players

Championship Clubs = 4 players

SPL Clubs = 10 player

Scottish Championship = 1 player

Overseas Players = 1

The stats of our last major tournament in 1998 compares like this:-

Average Age = 29.22 years per player

Average Caps per player = 23.00 

Average Goals per outfield player = 2.00

EPL Clubs = 7 players

Championship Clubs (known as Division 1 then) = 1 player

SPL Clubs = 12 players

Overseas Players = 2

So you can see it was a far older squad with more experienced players and more international goalscorers as a result. It was not quite so well equipped with Premier League players though with a greater number playing in the SPL.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The stats of our last major tournament in 1998 compares like this:-

Average Age = 29.22 years per player

Average Caps per player = 23.00 

Average Goals per outfield player = 2.00

EPL Clubs = 7 players

Championship Clubs (known as Division 1 then) = 1 player

SPL Clubs = 12 players

Overseas Players = 2

So you can see it was a far older squad with more experienced players and more international goalscorers as a result. It was not quite so well equipped with Premier League players though with a greater number playing in the SPL.

That squad was very much the end of an era. Very few of them made it into the next century. 

The current team could end up replicating that group in terms of togetherness and longevity. Barring goalkeepers, everyone in the squad could conceivably be part of the group for the next 4 or 5 years.

I'm confident we can put on a good show at this tournament, but I'm even more encouraged by how much stronger we'll get over the next few years.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

That squad was very much the end of an era. Very few of them made it into the next century. 

The current team could end up replicating that group in terms of togetherness and longevity. Barring goalkeepers, everyone in the squad could conceivably be part of the group for the next 4 or 5 years.

I'm confident we can put on a good show at this tournament, but I'm even more encouraged by how much stronger we'll get over the next few years.

Agreed.

Whereas that squad of 98 were nearing the end of the road with a vacuum left behind after them somewhat it is different today. The squad we have now has a good core of young talented players who have a good few years ahead of them so it does look brighter for us now. At that time in 1998 though I'd bet most of us never thought such barren years were to follow.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:39 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

I think he'll go with a strong side V Netherlands close to our starting line-up in our Euro opener. In the Luxembourg match you will see changes and perhaps starts for Gilmour and Turnbull and sub appearance from Patterson.

He’ll need to go with a strong line up against the Netherlands or we could get an absolute doing. Not great for the confidence before the tournament. 

I would like to see Turnbull and Patterson get a wee run out against them though to see how they get on against against that level of opposition. 

whats slightly worrying is the first choice back three is still not known to clarke, theres probably 4 or 5(maybe more) combinations that clarke might choose. i honestly cant predict which centre backs he will choose for our euro games apart from tierney. hopefully these games will give clarke a chance to see who works well together as we will need to be solid defensively if we are to stand a chance of getting out the groups.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

whats slightly worrying is the first choice back three is still not known to clarke, theres probably 4 or 5(maybe more) combinations that clarke might choose. i honestly cant predict which centre backs he will choose for our euro games apart from tierney. hopefully these games will give clarke a chance to see who works well together as we will need to be solid defensively if we are to stand a chance of getting out the groups.

I’m wondering how you know it’s still not known?

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m wondering how you know it’s still not known?

well maybe he does know what combination to go with but wether its the right one is still a gamble when you consider the different centre back combinations he has already tried.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

well maybe he does know what combination to go with but wether its the right one is still a gamble when you consider the different centre back combinations he has already tried.

I think his main problem has been injuries in that area. Cooper pulls out more often than not and Hanley has had some injury issues as well. 

He may also prefer different combinations depending on the opposition. 

I’m fairly confident Clarke will already  know who he wants in central defence against the Czech Republic if everyone is fit but if not he’s got a few weeks and a couple of friendlies to work on it. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think his main problem has been injuries in that area. Cooper pulls out more often than not and Hanley has had some injury issues as well. 

I’m fairly confident Clarke will already  know who he wants in central defence against the Czech Republic if everyone is fit but if not he’s got a few weeks and a couple of friendlies to work on it. 

The good, or bad thing, depending on how you look at it, is that all our centre back options are of a very similar ability level. (With the exception of Tierney) So, if McKenna and Gallagher started over Hendry, Cooper and Hanley, I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Writing that out does make it seem like we are far too bottom heavy. Yes, there is a chance Tierney could move to LWB if Robertson gets injured, but if that's the plan, why bring Taylor? I think we have 1 too many CBs or 1 too many LBs, depending on what Clarke plans to do if Robertson is out.

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

yeh he was definately hampered by injuries but its still hard to tell who would be the best choices which isnt a great situation to be in before a tournament. these friendlies are a good chance for clarke to see who works well together although it would be better if he had more time.

i think he will go for hanley cooper tierney, theres plenty experience in those 3 and they have all played at a high level.

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

yeh he was definately hampered by injuries but its still hard to tell who would be the best choices which isnt a great situation to be in before a tournament. these friendlies are a good chance for clarke to see who works well together although it would be better if he had more time.

i think he will go for hanley cooper tierney, theres plenty experience in those 3 and they have all played at a high level.

That's my three as well.

Maybe one of the bright sparks can put a poll together were we give the 3 names we would all pick.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I’m torn between Hanley Cooper & Tierney or Hendry Cooper & Tierney 

I'd probably have Mckenna ahead of Hendry. 

Don't think I would want to pick players in their mid 20s who haven't really performed well up until their last 40 or so games, Gauld  despite him having stats to die for is in the same boat..

As for the three youngsters brought in, I trust Clarke to make the right decision.