Black Lives Matter... in Scotland - Page 23 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Black Lives Matter... in Scotland

10 minutes ago, phart said:

tbf if you see the name and the huge picture of a black dog on the outside and then can't work it out, that's a you problem.

That dog wasn't there the many years ago when my flatmate saw it though, to be fair to them. The dog tied to a tree if the emblem on all the school stuff and that as well.

It's daft but it's also funny how outraged folk are about it too. Like folk are going mental about it.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-black-bitch-pub-name-change/c

😂 
I have signed the petition! I have not even been in Linlithgow but if it succeeds I will come through for a drink in The Black Bitch. 

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

A similarly historic old inn, this place near me always raises an eyebrow whenever I go past it. I think they’ve changed the sign but the previous one was a cross between Robinsons Jam and Ba Bru.  Never heard of any calls for the name to be changed though.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/SWM/27/black-boys-inn-hurley

Looks like they are body swerving the issue by potentially turning it into a private residence 😁

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Looks like they are body swerving the issue by potentially turning it into a private residence 😁

I’m not sure, think it might be just being refurbished.

A big problem round here as a lot of pubs are worth more as residential property than as a going business.  Never been in it personally, so don’t know if it would be a big loss or not.   That’s not through any great moral objection but rather there’s a couple of pubs close by that are much better.

I’m not sure if I’d want to live there either as it’s right on a bad bend on a busy A road.

Then there’s these guys, a bit like a Cookham version of the Bonnet Guild.

https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/news/cookhams/73419/In-pictures--Kaffirs-of-Cookham.html

Edited by aaid

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 
I have signed the petition! I have not even been in Linlithgow but if it succeeds I will come through for a drink in The Black Bitch. 

I've only ever dran in the black bitch on marches day and only cause it has a beer garden and only then that's cause where the folk i was meeting happened to be.

Do people now even know how twenty questions worked? It was well before my time so i doubt it. 

The audience at home would be shown a word or phrase on their tv and the teams in the studio who could not see it would be able to ask up to twenty questions to work out what it was… the teams were populated with celebrities of the day… if you could not work it out in twenty questions you lost the round.

The first question was typically ‘is it animal vegetable or mineral’… all in black and white 1950s telly of the era…

Edited by thplinth

So this one week princess Ann is the super special star guest team member on Twenty Questions 

The host tells those watching at home to look away if they don’t want to know the word or phrase the panel must work out.

On screen the phrase ‘ a darkie’s tadger’ appears.

The host says ‘your royal majesty, it is your turn what is your first question?’

In a super plumby voice princess Ann asks…

‘Is it animal vegetable or mineral?’

‘Animal ma’am’

‘hmmm can one eat it?’ asks princess ann.

…bit of a pause but then the reply is ‘yes ma’am’.

’hmmmm is it a darkie’s tadger?’

On 12/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, phart said:

I think they're changing it to the black hound. I just cracked open my facebook and it's all folk talking about this haha.

Interestingly, in something like a 3 mile radius we have the Black Bull pub and the Black swan business.

0_bitch1.jpg

I was going to comment but maybe another day.

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, exile said:

I was going to comment but maybe another day.

Your comment was pretty innocuous asking why they never called it the black female dog.

To answer i've not been keeping abreast, someone has t-shirts for sale about the issue though saw that.

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

ohhh.. so sad. but check out this donkey video. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/tUzL9ym

ahhh it restores your faith just watching that donkey get a cuddle. Donkeys are brilliant.

For the record I have no idea what you're getting at, or why.

The link makes no sense. Donkey video? 

Edited by exile

This thread started "I coudn't see a thread on this. But it's one of the issues of the day."

But we somehow got to jokes about cocks? Is this thread OK?

Edited by exile

FFS I thought you seemed a bit crabbit faced so I posted a heart warming clip of a girl and her donkey to help cheer you up. Watch it, it will put a smile on your face, guaranteed.

Kumnio took the thread on a bit of right turn above with his Black Bitch post and things went from there. Threads used to do that a lot on here when the place was a laugh. Thread's fine. Try not to be so anal. (Boy, bitches, cocks, tadgers, donkeys and now anal... what a thread this is shaping up to be.)

Edited by thplinth

9 hours ago, thplinth said:

FFS I thought you seemed a bit crabbit faced so I posted a heart warming clip of a girl and her donkey to help cheer you up. Watch it, it will put a smile on your face, guaranteed.

Kumnio took the thread on a bit of right turn above with his Black Bitch post and things went from there. Threads used to do that a lot on here when the place was a laugh. Thread's fine. Try not to be so anal. (Boy, bitches, cocks, tadgers, donkeys and now anal... what a thread this is shaping up to be.)

I never mentioned anything about the black bitch, wasn't me.

What is you on the black scale. What is black ? 
not being flippant.

was Barak Obama a black man or mixed .

the white racist definition that I learned was that a drop of black in your breading meant you were Black . Other experiences have taught me that for some people the same applies to the elements of ‘white’ you have in your heritage. 

I was born in Scotland to parents born and raised to parents born and raised in Scotland. That takes be back to the late 1800’s with four grandparents. The next generation back gives me 8 eight Great Grand parents from where I do not know.

3 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

What is you on the black scale. What is black ? 
not being flippant.

was Barak Obama a black man or mixed .

the white racist definition that I learned was that a drop of black in your breading meant you were Black . Other experiences have taught me that for some people the same applies to the elements of ‘white’ you have in your heritage. 

I was born in Scotland to parents born and raised to parents born and raised in Scotland. That takes be back to the late 1800’s with four grandparents. The next generation back gives me 8 eight Great Grand parents from where I do not know.

Is that aimed at me? Or thplinth?