Memories Of Your First Scotland Game - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Memories Of Your First Scotland Game

kmcca5

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit of a late bloomer. First game was a friendly vs Australia in 2000 that we lost 2-0. Don't remember too much other than that we were pish!a

There was a period where we seemed to lose every friendly 0 v 2 at Hampden in the early to mid noughties. Horrendous run.

I was a late starter as well, first match was a goalless draw between Scotland and Croatia in 2001. A friend's workmate ran a bus through from Edinburgh (the days of STC members being able to buy as many tickets as they wanted) and we stopped off at a pub somewhere en route.

One of my mates had his kilt on back to front (I remember him asking us where our frills were...:lol:) and Billy Dodds had a goal disallowed for offside. Got back to Edinburgh in time to catch most of the Germany vs England game but the score escapes me...

Ireland v Scotland at Lansdowne Road October 1986 - we are still toasting Gary of Hearts for getting us through to Euro '88.

My abiding memory as a very wee child was all the Scots in kilts and Balmoral hats presume it's still the attire for home and away games today.

Home game with Switzerland at Pittodrie.

08/09/1993.

Poland the other night was my 100th game watching the Scotland senior team.

That's a pretty decent attendance record. About 57%, I think. I started going in 1974 and didn't get to 100 until we played Norway in Oslo.

My first Scotland trip was away in Milano in 2005. 2-0 for Italy (2 Pirlo's free-kick). Atmosphere was great in the stadium (despite Italy's fans fighting against each other). We webt back to France straight after the game, only bad point because we drunk too much on the day.

Hampden Park, 1988, Scotland Vs Chile, Rouse Cup. I was 7.

We won 2-0, Murdo McLoed and maybe McStay were the scorers? Suppose I could look it up but can't be ersed.

We were in the terrace behind the goal of what is now the East Stand, and I remember it as if we were the only ones in that end of the ground, crowd that night must have been very small. My dad sat me on the metal railings and the goals happened at the other end of the park where the players looked like matchstick people they were so far away. Thats all I remember about that.

Argentina friendly 1990,1-0, Stewart McKimmie. Totally engrained in my memory. I already loved seeing Queens games at the old Hampden when I was wee but it was something else to see it packed out. Watching Scotland for the first time instead of jealously having to put up with just seeing the floodlights and watching all the traffic crawling past my window heading there at night. Brilliant.

How the hell can you lot remember the first game?

Personally prob 1970 home against one of the home nations, away to wembers, Wales , Austria in 77 I think.

Total jeezo I'd have to look at archives but 37 away most over last 8/9 years . Tons more home.

Edited by mariokempes56

I was a late starter - Scotland v England 1989 - I had a deprived childhood and my old man never took me to a football match. Missed all the soapy as got a lift from East Kilbride. I had it in my head that Bull had scored both goals but I just looked it up there and see Waddle scored the first.

I was a late starter - Scotland v England 1989 - I had a deprived childhood and my old man never took me to a football match. Missed all the soapy as got a lift from East Kilbride. I had it in my head that Bull had scored both goals but I just looked it up there and see Waddle scored the first.

Phuqqing part-timer

How the hell can you lot remember the first game?

Personally prob 1970 home against one of the home nations, away to wembers, Wales , Austria in 77 I think.

Total jeezo I'd have to look at archives but 37 away most over last 8/9 years . Tons more home.

I can remember the earliest ones better than the most recent ones. Who wis it we played last week? :blink: