Scotland U17s Vs Iceland 17s - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland U17s Vs Iceland 17s

The_Dark_Knight

I agree with everyone here.

I'd much rather watch this side, and the u19s than the seniors.

I do want to know who's idea it was to play 4-2-3-1 all the way through the age groups, though. The central midfielder we have we should be allowing them to from box-to-box. It's kinda what Roy Keane said a couple weeks ago, these days midfielders are given one job, as opposed to multiple jobs.

1-1

I'm encouraged by how the kids are sticking to what they've been doing. It shows that skills and good habits have been instilled in them.

They lost a bit of composure but it was clearly quite a high pressure game judging by the celebrations at the end. Iceland are also a highly rated side by all accounts and have a much vaunted youth system. 

There are about five players in that team who seem to have a good chance to make it to the full side. The same as I went for in the previous game: Devine, Morrison, King, Hepburn and Fairley. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

They lost a bit of composure but it was clearly quite a high pressure game judging by the celebrations at the end. Iceland are also a highly rated side by all accounts and have a much vaunted youth system. 

There are about five players in that team who seem to have a good chance to make it to the full side. The same as I went for in the previous game: Devine, Morrison, King, Hepburn and Fairley. 

Hepburn, Morrison & King were the standouts I thought. 

It’s good to see a promising young pair of centre backs anyway. 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hepburn, Morrison & King were the standouts I thought. 

It’s good to see a promising young pair of centre backs anyway. 

Same for me. Morrison and King have the attributes to make it to the very top. There won’t be a better centre half pairing at that age level.

Scotland are missing players that would normally start as well, another thing to take into consideration. Through to the elite round with a game to spare.

4 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Scotland top or joint top of all their current qualify groups at 17s, 19s, and 21s.

Really hope this is an indication of what is to come for the senior squad. 

It's a good sign but we have had good youth teams in the past and ended up with only a few of them making a real impact. You can look like a world beater at youth level but never quite make it in the seniors. Ppl getting excited by these players need to take it with a pinch of salt, especially with Liam morrison, chances of him turning into a top class centre back at Bayern or another top European club is very unlikely. Still it's nice to see and hopefully these lads can progress into good professionals.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a good sign but we have had good youth teams in the past and ended up with only a few of them making a real impact. You can look like a world beater at youth level but never quite make it in the seniors. Ppl getting excited by these players need to take it with a pinch of salt, especially with Liam morrison, chances of him turning into a top class centre back at Bayern or another top European club is very unlikely. Still it's nice to see and hopefully these lads can progress into good professionals.

Have you seen him play?

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Have you seen him play?

Apart from watching his two goals, no I haven't. I can understand where you intend to go with this but reality is that the chances of him becoming a top centre back are slim. Before he moved to Bayern no one had heard of him, but now on here he's considered a certainty to be making it big. 

It's encouraging that Bayern wanted the lad and he could well be a stand out in youth games but we have had plenty of stand outs at top European clubs over the years so it's best not to get overly excited until he really breaks through and plays senior football somewhere.

I reeled off in another thread about 10 off the top of my head of young players we have had at top European clubs over the last 15 years. There's probably another ten I am not thinking off that I could look up. Only really one has made it in that time and that is mctominay.

So a 1 in 20 chance of him making it doesn't sound so great. Saying that I genuinely hope he does and I believe he can but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

Same goes for gilmour, better not get too excited until things really take off for him.

12 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

We were lucky to win that one

It's embarrassing that we've totally embraced the 4-2-3-1 system. It's as fundamental defensive system, as it proved with the backs to the wall second half display.

We need runners from central midfield, players who run ahead of the striker, etc.

It’s not a defensive system on its own, granted we make it one though 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Liam Morrison with two goals and its 2-1 Scotland.

Hes only 16 yes but he’s 6’3 ish, very good in the air and looks very good on the ball, not to mention at Bayern Munich now. 

Good Saltcoats lad!

He certainly seems to have all the attributes, both on and off the park to make it to the very top.

Edited by Squirrelhumper