First Scotrail No More - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Scotrail No More

Guest flumax

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this work?

We (in Scotland) cannot bring our railways into public ownership, but by awarding the contract to Abellio, the people of The Netherlands now own our railways.

What a shambles of a country the UK is.

Sad news as surveys show First took ScotRail forward improving punctuality, increasing customer satisfaction and bringing all railway employees under the same employee unlike the previous incumbents (National Express) who had catering done on the cheap via outside catering company. As I understand it Abellio are going to take catering to outside catering company which will be very bad for current employees in that sector. Also means we are having our trains run by a foreign company now. Not much for me to be happy about.

Have no sympathy whatsoever for First Group. Shockingly poor IMO. Far too often showing up with 2 car services on main routes at rush hour when a minimum of 4 are needed.

Shame we can't get it in to public ownership but no UK party appears to support amending UK Railway Act 1993 or devolving it.

Think we'll see some major improvements from Abellio. By next franchise though, I want it brought into public ownership.

Have no sympathy whatsoever for First Group. Shockingly poor IMO. Far too often showing up with 2 car services on main routes at rush hour when a minimum of 4 are needed.

Shame we can't get it in to public ownership but no UK party appears to support amending UK Railway Act 1993 or devolving it.

Think we'll see some major improvements from Abellio. By next franchise though, I want it brought into public ownership.

Aye, First's attitude to customer service is appalling. Not at all sorry they've lost the franchise, although the whole franchise process is nonsense (wastes millions that could be better spent improving services).

Worked for scotrail as a ticket inspector at Paisley, no laughing ;)

Horrible job and the company wasn't up to much from my experience. The trip to Paris in 2007 helped break it up but only lasted 3 months. It was that bad I was glad to go back to a call centre.

Only behind Glasgow bus driver in the list of sh*t jobs.

You'll have to book it 16 weeks in advance and there'll only be one seat per train.

These promotional fares just mean that the company can say that their average fare is lower than the rip-off price they regularly charge.

I was £55 return to get to Glasgow last weekend and I didn't even get a seat - bargain.

As an aside though, the trains in Holland have always been pretty good for me.

The trains in Holland might be good, but Abellio might well have different objectives with this contract. ie making loads of money. Railways are generally a major drain, and not many run at a profit Europe wide. More to do with providing infrastructure than making money.

The trains in Holland might be good, but Abellio might well have different objectives with this contract. ie making loads of money. Railways are generally a major drain, and not many run at a profit Europe wide. More to do with providing infrastructure than making money.

Ironically, the only franchise in Britain which is a net contributor to the exchequer is the East Coast one. Now, there's something else which marks that one out as different - it's publicly owned and operated (until February next year).

Without fail, the train I go for in the morning or at night is always a few minutes late. I couldn't tell you the last time it never happened. When you're trying to get a bus after the choo & everything needs to be bang on time, it's fecking infuriating.

I'd love to know where they get their survey samples from. I don't know many people who are as delighted as Shitrail try to make out.

Goodbye & good riddance.

Only a couple of years ago it was about £2.50 odds to get from Newton Mearns into Glasgow off peak which I thought was a fair price. Now it's about £4.20 off peak, in a filthy, damp carriage usually.

Noticed the Cathcart Circle line has had a lot more signalling and engineering problems in the last eighteen months than it has in years previously. Hope the Dutch can fix things across the whole country.