First Scotrail No More - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Scotrail No More

Guest flumax

Railways are like a lot of services in life in that you only ever hear the complaints. People love to moan nut when numerous have an uneventful,nice journey they don't think to compliment.

Let me enlighten people here about delays and burst your bubble. So many delays are of passengers or public's own making. The amount of trains I have been on that are ready to leave on time and doors close though you get kamikaze passengers leaping on jamming doors that need resetting then some other person does the same and train leaves two minutes late and then runs into traffic it otherwise wouldn't have encountered. Passengers pressing emergency stop buttons in toilets instead of open door button always adds a few minutes. Drunk passengers causing fracas and abusing staff or brain dead vandals ripping cables from signal boxes or putting obstructions on the line. Sure a percentage are caused by train faults or staff shortage but when bad weather strikes it is inevitable as crew booked to work certain services end up stranded by earlier cancellations at stations many miles away. Look closer to home for a lot of delayed or late trains though is what I say.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Railways are like a lot of services in life in that you only ever hear the complaints. People love to moan nut when numerous have an uneventful,nice journey they don't think to compliment.

Let me enlighten people here about delays and burst your bubble. So many delays are of passengers or public's own making. The amount of trains I have been on that are ready to leave on time and doors close though you get kamikaze passengers leaping on jamming doors that need resetting then some other person does the same and train leaves two minutes late and then runs into traffic it otherwise wouldn't have encountered. Passengers pressing emergency stop buttons in toilets instead of open door button always adds a few minutes. Drunk passengers causing fracas and abusing staff or brain dead vandals ripping cables from signal boxes or putting obstructions on the line. Sure a percentage are caused by train faults or staff shortage but when bad weather strikes it is inevitable as crew booked to work certain services end up stranded by earlier cancellations at stations many miles away. Look closer to home for a lot of delayed or late trains though is what I say.

Thanks for your input, Mr Montgomery :wink2:.

Is that you, Mary?

There are responsible,sensible passengers deecie I am not denying that but let's have a bit of realism here. As I mentioned passengers are quite often a cause of delays. For passengers or people on here to deny that is just foolish.

Who did?

Well Flure why call me Steve or Mary just because I post up pertinent facts.

Watch for yourself this Saturday. All across Scotland there will be last minute rushes by drunk football fans trying to pile on trains with cases of booze and police maybe stopping them cue debate and train waits and waits and finally leaves five or ten minutes late. As sure as eggs are eggs that scene will be played out.

Well Flure why call me Steve or Mary just because I post up pertinent facts.

I called you "Mary" because what you said could have come straight from the MD herself. I didn't deny anything you said. Didn't contradict. Didn't disagree.

Okay Flure. My posts come from long experience of working on trains and have seen it all in terms of passengers causing delays. Vandalism as well is idiotic and downright life threatening.

Clearly you have and it's clear to all and sundry that self-loading cargo can be stupidity personified.

Had a very interesting chat with someone quite senior in First group this evening over a few pints. On the back of losing Scotrail, expect the Aberdeen head office to close with the loss of around 100 jobs. They have went for 4 franchises so far this year and lost ever single one.

They are putting all their eggs onto the east coast line that goes to tender next month. If they don't get that they are in real trouble.