Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 99 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

On 2/17/2019 at 6:38 PM, Tartan Chris said:

This Byers kid scored for Swansea today, Swans got 3-4 Scottish players in their squad.

Lots of unheralded players in form so interesting squad announcement in 3 weeks.

Byers was involved with youth squads a number of years ago, but went off the radar just after moved to Swansea.

If asked do not think he will be a problem to get, as his love for a certain Glasgow club which is on display on social media is more extreme than what Oli McBurnie is like at times 😂

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Ethan Hamilton made is 3 goals in 6 games for Rochdale last night, as they went down 4-3 to Wimbledon.

Highlights aren't on youtube yet, so haven't seen the one from last night, but his first goal was a decent effort from 30-35 yards with his left. The 2nd was cutting in from the left and finishing into the far corner with his right.

League One is a pretty horrific level of football, but you can only play against the team that's on the field with you. 3 goals in 6 for a player who seems to be largely a defensive mid (certainly built like one) is noteworthy, especially given it's his first competitive games at any club.

He's at Rochdale to the end of the season, then back to Man Utd.

It's encouraging signs, probably shows he's easily a level above league 1. He is certainly highly rated at man utd. Hopefully he can get a loan move to a spl or championship team next season.

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That's all old news. He's knocked us back before so it is bloody embarrassing to go grovelling again to a player who isn't even up to playing in top level football.

He plays at a level where pretty much all Scottish strikers who'll be called up or in contention play!

Fletcher, Burke (West Brom parent club), Matt Phillips, McBurnie and Naismith (ex Norwich).

If Scotland had 3-4 quality premier league strikers I could understand it more.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

He plays at a level where pretty much all Scottish strikers who'll be called up or in contention play!

Fletcher, Burke (West Brom parent club), Matt Phillips, McBurnie and Naismith (ex Norwich).

If Scotland had 3-4 quality premier league strikers I could understand it more.

All of those have played in the top flight though - Adams has not.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

All of those have played in the top flight though - Adams has not.

Burnley and Southampton had bids knocked back for him in last window. Wouldn't quite believe Man. United and Arsenal links but he's certainly being watched by a fair few prem teams and will be playing in it next season.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-arsenal-join-race-14010417

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Burnley and Southampton had bids knocked back for him in last window. Wouldn't quite believe Man. United and Arsenal links but he's certainly being watched by a fair few prem teams and will be playing in it next season.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-arsenal-join-race-14010417

Look at his goal-scoring stats in the lower leagues. It isn't in anyway jaw-droppingly brilliant. We have strikers available who have played at a higher level against better defenders with a better strike rate. And you are ignoring the biggest factor here - HE IS NOT INTERESTED IN PLAYING FOR US.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That's all old news. He's knocked us back before so it is bloody embarrassing to go grovelling again to a player who isn't even up to playing in top level football.

Reading between the lines, I get the feeling its his agent which approached us (Eck saying today that he has never actually spoken with the player) not Eck approaching him.

Bit of a coincidence that rumors start of a Scotland call up, then next day media is full of stories of a big money move to Man United, Arsenal or Spurs (when talk was he was going to Southampton just before the transfer window closed).

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Reading between the lines, I get the feeling its his agent which approached us (Eck saying today that he has never actually spoken with the player) not Eck approaching him.

Bit of a coincidence that rumors start of a Scotland call up, then next day media is full of stories of a big money move to Man United, Arsenal or Spurs (when talk was he was going to Southampton just before the transfer window closed).

I'd say McLeish has certainly spoken with the player. I don't think he'd have garnered stuff like he was coming up with in the press from just dialogue with his agent. 

If I were the manager I would be tempted to put Jack Hastie and David Turnbull in the squad for the Kazakhstan and San Marino games but at the same time I want our Under 21s strong enough for what will be tough friendly matches vs. Mexico (the 22nd) and Sweden (the 25th).

Tough one.

I'd sooner see us blend youngsters into the senior squad like Hornby. And don't give me nonsense that they aren't ready. That may be the case but that is the way Wales have done things to great effect. They blend the youngsters in and some have had debuts for Wales before their league careers have taken off but it works.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd say McLeish has certainly spoken with the player. I don't think he'd have garnered stuff like he was coming up with in the press from just dialogue with his agent. 

Said yesterday he spoke with his "representatives" and the BBC are now saying he has not actually spoken with the player.

Basically sounds like all the talk that Tom Cairney was going to switch to England a few months that has went absolutely nowhere, as seems to be to many stories about the one player coming out all at the same time, that it can not be anything more than a agent trying to get a deal for his client.

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Said yesterday he spoke with his "representatives" and the BBC are now saying he has not actually spoken with the player.

Basically sounds like all the talk that Tom Cairney was going to switch to England a few months that has went absolutely nowhere, as seems to be to many stories about the one player coming out all at the same time, that it can not be anything more than a agent trying to get a deal for his client.

Well whatever the source and substance it seems clear Adams isn't interested. I am not at all keen having players representing Scotland now or in the future that aren't keen on the idea.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd sooner see us blend youngsters into the senior squad like Hornby. And don't give me nonsense that they aren't ready. That may be the case but that is the way Wales have done things to great effect. They blend the youngsters in and some have had debuts for Wales before their league careers have taken off but it works.

Hornby has been injured since October (think he might have even had surgery) and only just back playing, as Everton fan I was speaking to recently was saying the big hope was they would get him out on loan to League 1 for a good part of the season, but not been the case.

Sure it was in the press a few weeks back that Malky MacKay feels Dapo Mebude, Glenn Middleton and Horby are good enough to be fast tracked to the full squad for experience.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well whatever the source and substance it seems clear Adams isn't interested. I am not at all keen having players representing Scotland now or in the future that aren't keen on the idea.

Very true.

Just a slow news day I would imagine with nothing really to report (it did seem odd Eck giving a interview out the blue yesterday when he is still a few weeks away from naming his next squad, and Adams and Burke were the only two players he mentioned.).

I do not think Eck lingers on these things to much, as last year he made no real secret that he wanted Sam Gallagher to switch back to us, and that was old news after a couple of days, so would imagine this Adams story will be the same that squads will come and go, and his name is never mentioned.

Edited by wanderer

12 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Hornby has been injured since October (think he might have even had surgery) and only just back playing, as Everton fan I was speaking to recently was saying the big hope was they would get him out on loan to League 1 for a good part of the season, but not been the case.

Sure it was in the press a few weeks back that Malky MacKay feels Dapo Mebude, Glenn Middleton and Horby are good enough to be fast tracked to the full squad for experience.

It was yesterday!

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It was yesterday!

Ahhh article I am thinking about was about Billy Gilmour 👍 certainly encouraging though that this kind of talk is happening at the SFA with regards to the national team (certainly did Strachan no harm when he took a few kids along for the experience in a few of his squads once he had a settled team)

26 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Ahhh article I am thinking about was about Billy Gilmour 👍 certainly encouraging though that this kind of talk is happening at the SFA with regards to the national team (certainly did Strachan no harm when he took a few kids along for the experience in a few of his squads once he had a settled team)

He was raving about Gilmour too. Despite the doom merchants, I’m in no doubt our players level of technique is improving. Things are changing with the Performance Schools. 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If I were the manager I would be tempted to put Jack Hastie and David Turnbull in the squad for the Kazakhstan and San Marino games but at the same time I want our Under 21s strong enough for what will be tough friendly matches vs. Mexico (the 22nd) and Sweden (the 25th).

Tough one.

Hastie, Turnbull and Campbell can all play for Scotland one day but the 1st two in particular have only catapulted onto the scene very recently

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Look at his goal-scoring stats in the lower leagues. It isn't in anyway jaw-droppingly brilliant. We have strikers available who have played at a higher level against better defenders with a better strike rate. And you are ignoring the biggest factor here - HE IS NOT INTERESTED IN PLAYING FOR US.

It's only really this seasons form that have thrust him into the limelight and in particular his last half dozen or so games. You could argue that he is the best player in the championship since the turn of the year.And without going into the SPL v Championship debate he would be a starter in our next game if he had come out and said he was Scottish. He didn't so that's that.

23 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He was raving about Gilmour too. Despite the doom merchants, I’m in no doubt our players level of technique is improving. Things are changing with the Performance Schools. 

Think to many people wanted instant results with the peomance schools, when the SFA always said it would be 2019ish before we started seeing some results (think first players only started filtering through in 2016) and certinly been more and more players in youth squads in last year or two, so give it another year or two.