Scottish player transfers - Page 223 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

12 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Queens Parks 17 year old keeper Callan Mckenna is supposedly close to Joining Man Utd.

I had heard briefly about this boy. Apparently distributes the ball well with his feet which is very in vogue for these 'top' teams in the modern game. Imagine it would be a couple of years of youth academy followed by some loan spells before even being marginally considered for the youth team, but really is an opportunity that can't be refused if true.

16 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I had heard briefly about this boy. Apparently distributes the ball well with his feet which is very in vogue for these 'top' teams in the modern game. Imagine it would be a couple of years of youth academy followed by some loan spells before even being marginally considered for the youth team, but really is an opportunity that can't be refused if true.

Money wise yes. Career wise i am not so sure. He was getting first team starts at queen park. Spending a couple of years pissing about playing youth football isn't necessarily the best option imo.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Money wise yes. Career wise i am not so sure. He was getting first team starts at queen park. Spending a couple of years pissing about playing youth football isn't necessarily the best option imo.

TBF neither will be pissing about League 1 next season. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's been pissing about on QP's bench since September. Seemingly he started the season as first choice, got dropped after conceding a glut of goals, and hasn't played since.

Obviously someone who knows what they're doing sees something in him, but if he is the real deal I'd have thought even at 17 he'd be able to hold down a place in a bottom of the table Championship team.

45 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He's been pissing about on QP's bench since September. Seemingly he started the season as first choice, got dropped after conceding a glut of goals, and hasn't played since.

Obviously someone who knows what they're doing sees something in him, but if he is the real deal I'd have thought even at 17 he'd be able to hold down a place in a bottom of the table Championship team.

I've not seen a lot of QP this year but there defence has been shaky, hence their position in the league.

15 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If he was first choice for queen's park in league 1 I would prefer that to youth football. 

Hes only 17, if he can play a couple of seasons at league1/Scottish championship level and then move onto an English championship side that would be better than pissing about in man utds youth set up for a few seasons imo.

Obviously money talks and man utd will be able to offer much more money and he would be right to take it but as we have seen for years elite clubs do very little when it comes to developing our players. 

He looks like a special talent and I would like to see him exposed to first team football from a young age as it's by far the best method for producing top players. 

11 hours ago, scotlad said:

Well he was starting games at the age of 16 which is pretty much unheard of for a goalkeeper at any pro level.

Seen some highlights of him and he has made some good saves. Dunno if it's queen's parks defence that is shit or if he was at fault for their poor defensive record. Either way I  would much rather he goes to a club where he will get games. He looks brilliant for a 17 year old and I prefer our young talents to be playing proper football from a young age as I think it's the best tool for developing them.

19 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Agreed. There are plenty examples in our team of players who got first-team football at lower levels from a young age and then just kept on getting better with McGinn and Robertson being the prime example.  Don't blame him for taking the money and opportunity as injury could cut your career short at any time.

37 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Agreed. There are plenty examples in our team of players who got first-team football at lower levels from a young age and then just kept on getting better with McGinn and Robertson being the prime example.  Don't blame him for taking the money and opportunity as injury could cut your career short at any time.

McTominay, Tierney, Gilmour etc examples of the opposite. 

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

McTominay, Tierney, Gilmour etc examples of the opposite. 

Eh? Tierney played spl for a few seasons before he moved to arsenal. Hes a perfect example of what I am saying.

Even gilmour is debatable. His career is only just starting to really take off since he left Chelsea. It was touch and go there wether he would make it in the epl. Hopefully a few seasons at Brighton will really help his development but personally I don't think being at Chelsea helped him that much. I think he would be much further along had he played a couple of seasons in the English championship or for a lower half epl club when he 18-20.

Mctominays probably the only example of one of our youth players coming through at an elite club and making it to the first team.

34 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

The key is first-team football and both Gilmour and Tierney were getting that at a young age. But, fair enough for McTominay.

Who's to say this lad won't at Utd (or on loan elsewhere) at a far higher level than QP?

For example, we (Killie) had a lad on loan last season from Liverpool who had just turned 18. He's now featuring regularly for Liverppol in their match day squad/getting game time. Just cos a player goes to a massive club, doesn't mean he won't get game time. High possibility is that he'll be loaned out at a higher level than he could get near at QP playing in front of two men and a dog. 

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Eh? Tierney played spl for a few seasons before he moved to arsenal. Hes a perfect example of what I am saying.

He as at a huge club, got game time at a very young age. You were talking about players starting at a low level and working their way up. 

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He as at a huge club, got game time at a very young age. You were talking about players starting at a low level and working their way up. 

I think the comparison being made is between playing in youth teams for a big club or playing 1st-team football in a lower league or team.  Obviously, if a player is good enough to get a game for a big teamss first 1 that is ideal. It doesn't happen that often, though.

17 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Celtics a huge club but they are far from elite these days. The spl is a low level of football imo. It's pretty much akin to league 1 in England for the most part if you take away the old firm.

Tierney got gametime in the spl and it helped his development. Him and guys like mcginn and pretty much all of our squad got gametime at lower levels such as the spl or English championship/league1 and it developed their career better than the guys who were at elite clubs.

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Who's to say this lad won't at Utd (or on loan elsewhere) at a far higher level than QP?

For example, we (Killie) had a lad on loan last season from Liverpool who had just turned 18. He's now featuring regularly for Liverppol in their match day squad/getting game time. Just cos a player goes to a massive club, doesn't mean he won't get game time. High possibility is that he'll be loaned out at a higher level than he could get near at QP playing in front of two men and a dog. 

If man utd loan him out straight away then great. An English league 2 side or Scottish championship side that will play him every week would be ideal. But if they just keep him in the youth set up playing youth football every week for a couple of years then I don't believe that will help his career much. The lad looks good enough play lower league football even at 17 and should make sure that he does so that his career doesn't stagnate. Its much better for him than youth football imo. 

Liam Morrison is probably learning more at Wigan this season than he ever will playing in Bayern's youth team.

Just sick of seeing young Scottish talent go to epl sides and never make the grade when I am positive that if they had played a few seasons of spl or league1 in England they would be then ready to jump up to epl level. It's been proven time and again by the fact our top players all went down that route except 1(mctominay).

Saying that Money wise he will have to take the offer because he might never get big bucks again.

Wolves being heavily linked with Adams, especially as they've let 2 strikers out on loan this month (Fabio Silva and Kaladjic) and Adams is out of contract in the summer so Southampton might want to cash in rather than him leave for nothing.

Calvin Ramsay was rumoured to be getting recalled by Liverpool due to his lack of game time at Preston and now with them having several injuries at the back. I think it's more likely they'll recall him and loan him somewhere else

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

He wasn't dropped, he got injured and then has been unable to force his way back in, which is somewhat different.