Snp Strategy - 2015 General Election - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snp Strategy - 2015 General Election

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the SNP have to get the message out that they will *not* seek another referendum in the short term, and make the message very clear that the purpose of electing them in 2015 is to press for Devo Max in Westminster. As much as I don't like gradualism it is the only way the SNP can hope to pull in the votes they need to take as many constituencies as possible.

However that strategy is only going to work if the outcome looks like being a narrow minority for the Conservatives. And we have already seen that the Daily Record has started banging its big 'Labour are the only party who can keep the Tories out' drum that so sirenly calls Scots to vote Labour at Westminster.

A big YES coalition gain in MP's with a Tory government in place would re open the old SNP are the Tartan Tories, only consolation is that Labour will be so much of a busted flush it wont have same impact. Looking at who would be Millibands successor, there does not seem to be an heir apparent other than maybe Andy Burnham?

Thought Alan Johnson would have been a highly popular choice. Is he still on the go?

I think he's winding down - he's on This Week a lot and has just published the second instalment of his memoirs. Can't see him wanting to take it on.

An interesting guy - genuinely working class, worked as a postman for years and got involved in politics through the trade union movement. His new book (I posted on the topic last week) was serialised on the radio and he mentions delivering mail to Dorney Wood in the 1970s when Merlyn Rees as Home Secretary had it as his grace and favour residence - Johnson himself became Home Secretary 35 years or so later.

Someone like him really has no place in the Labour Party compared to the massed ranks of feckers who've never had what could be described as a 'job'.

Edited by neilser

A big YES coalition gain in MP's with a Tory government in place would re open the old SNP are the Tartan Tories, only consolation is that Labour will be so much of a busted flush it wont have same impact. Looking at who would be Millibands successor, there does not seem to be an heir apparent other than maybe Andy Burnham?

If the SNP get in bed with the Tories they will be fecked. A price worth paying though to get genuine devo max and move us a step closer to Scotland's natural state.

Their will be no getting into bed with the tories. This election will be fought on trust and standing up for Scotland - 2 standing stones that we have a VERY strong hand with. With every passing day we are emerging stronger as the unionist parties are shown to be a shower of self serving liars.

If the SNP get in bed with the Tories they will be fecked. A price worth paying though to get genuine devo max and move us a step closer to Scotland's natural state.

Struggle to see Scotland getting genuine Devo max, unless there's another referndeum, Westminster at all costs will stop attempt to stop Scotland controlling it's own economy

I agree with that plan on principle but if there is a majority of independence supporting MSP's then a 2020 referendum is too late. That would be a 4 year campaign which is too long and people couldn't go through that again. 2017 would be my preference.

I can't see Westminster agreeing to another referendum only 3 years after the last one!

I agree with that plan on principle but if there is a majority of independence supporting MSP's then a 2020 referendum is too late. That would be a 4 year campaign which is too long and people couldn't go through that again. 2017 would be my preference.

The idea is that we run a low level campaign as we are now, this gives us time to work on creating a new bank, currency issues etc until May 2020 then stand on an Independence ticket with a referendum in September and out by December. A very short time between election and referendum.

You dont need them to agree, hold the referendum, win, declare UDI

The referendum would be lost by a bigger margin than the last one if that was the plan. Are the Scottish people who were too afraid to choose independence with the Edinburgh agreement in place going to go for UDI? And only 3 years after the last vote?

The referendum would be lost by a bigger margin than the last one if that was the plan. Are the Scottish people who were too afraid to choose independence with the Edinburgh agreement in place going to go for UDI? And only 3 years after the last vote?

Without being able to play the 'More Powers' card (since they're already watering it down/miring it in tribal Westminster politicking) the 'No' campaign would have nothing to offer.

Especially after 5/6 more years of Tory attacks on the NHS, Welfare State and their continued privatisation of anything they can get their grubby little hands on. Unless, of course, Labour win next year's GE in which case everything will be fine and dandy........

Agree there. As mentioned before all talk of an imminent referendum should be canned until opinion polls are consistently showing 60% plus in favour of independence....

Without being able to play the 'More Powers' card (since they're already watering it down/miring it in tribal Westminster politicking) the 'No' campaign would have nothing to offer.

Especially after 5/6 more years of Tory attacks on the NHS, Welfare State and their continued privatisation of anything they can get their grubby little hands on. Unless, of course, Labour win next year's GE in which case everything will be fine and dandy........

All of the big doubts (currency etc) will merely be amplified if the UK govt hasn't agreed to respect the result of the referendum.

All of the big doubts (currency etc) will merely be amplified if the UK govt hasn't agreed to respect the result of the referendum.

It isn't looking like it's going to respect the result of this one (more powers in the event of a 'No' vote).

I don't see how they could not 'agree' to respect the result of a vote for self-determination in any case. See Spain's current desperation to stop the Catalonian referendum even happening as they know they'll be crucified if they don't accept the 'Yes' vote there.

They "ruled out" a currency union for this one, so the currency options will be the same in any case.

We'll also know exactly what their strategy is and be able to plan accordingly, and the grassroots organisations don't seem to be in a hurry to go anywhere, so hopefully will still be about come the next one.